Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 03:48 AM

676 posts, read 721,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresarose View Post
I don't understand some of the responses I am receiving. I lost my husband to lung cancer -- he was 51 years old -- he NEVER SMOKED. This was a tragedy to me and our three children. I believe I look at life very differently. I appreciate every opportunity and experience I am given. It is not easy to walk through life without my soulmate of 33 years. But I am here and am trying to find a safe environment with activities to keep my mind and body busy. I want to make him proud of the way I continue to lead my life. I was just looking for a place to live out the rest of my life where I would fit in.
Just ignore the troll. My deepest sympathy for the loss of your husband. I am in the same circumstance as you. My hubby died 2 years ago after 43 years of marriage. I sold our north home (which was in an isolated but beautiful part of the poconos) and I moved to Florida to the condo we had when we were snowbirds. 2 houses were too much for me to maintain. My decision to chose Florida was because it’s in a 55 plus gated community with lots of activities and security. Also the area is booming with activity. It was a good decision. I’ve made many friends and I’m very active. I’m enjoying life again.

You were so young to lose your husband. I believe the communities others suggested above are great. Also google 55 plus communities and search for what kind and where you’d like to be in Florida. Do research, read these forums because not all of Florida is created equally.

I wish you the best of luck in your search. Be blessed.

Emily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 04:00 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
this nearby community also south of Tampa is pretty nice, homes are in the $200k range though - most communities 55+ have HOA fees that can be steep for some people.....but includes a lot that you'd normally pay out on your own (lawn care, cable, security, etc).

I don't know if there's a 55+ that focuses on singles, but these types of communities have travel groups and other groups that bring single folks together - you get to know people who share similar interests and friendships tend to develop. Most have community churches and other ways to get to know others as well as volunteer opportunities. These aren't golf communities, more tennis and pickelball....they do have some outstanding fitness centers and classes like yoga, Pilates, etc.

https://www.glhomes.com/valencia-lakes

https://www.glhomes.com/valencia-del-sol

Old 07-09-2019, 04:06 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
this is a filter for searching nationwide for 55+

https://www.55places.com/

Just know, in FL, it's unbearably hot from May to October.....might be a good idea to rent for a year to see if you really like it

Old 07-09-2019, 07:07 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
I hope you never reach the "crotchety old people" phase in your life. How not to get there? Die young. Reaching the senior years is a privileged denied to many. Not sure why I sense such disdain for people who were blessed to having reached their golden years.
I think Fredesh has already reached that crotchety old people stage. Won't live long being so nasty to everyone on line. No one likes a troll and no one should ever pay attention to what they say. To be a troll they must have to be one very unhappy, lonely person who tries to rub off the hate they feel for themselves to others.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 AM

357 posts, read 248,065 times
Quote:
I became widowed 8 years ago at the age of 51. I have learned that it is best to keep busy and retain friendships. I am thinking of relocating to Florida to a 55+ community for the many activities offered and also to make new connections -- friendships. I am not interested in dating. Was wondering if there are communities that are more welcoming or geared toward singles. I am happy to socialize with couples, just don't want to feel left out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. One activity I would like to pursue is golf.
Hoping to make the move sometime next year.
My grandma moved into The Village in Gainesville (not to be confused with The Villages south of Ocala) a few years after she was widowed. She almost immediately met someone else and got married about a year and a half later. They do not have a golf course there but there are three in the area. They have tons of activities and she makes my head spin with her calendar. Lol

ETA: You rent at this place. It’s a couple thousand a month depending what floor plan you choose but you get a meal stipend (they have three on site restaurants), they will take you places around town so you don’t HAVe to have a car, and there are buses that run a circuit around the property so you don’t have to walk everywhere. At first I didn’t understand why she wanted to move there but I’ve seen how good it’s been for her and she has new friends now instead of just the same church friends she had.

Last edited by AndreaTownsley; 07-09-2019 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Add second para

Old 07-10-2019, 10:55 AM

623 posts, read 966,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
The villages are known for their high STD rate. If your only looking for groups of crotchety old people waiting to die, you can do that in any dying small mid-western town. No need to move to Florida.
That's an old wives tale.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
It looks like an OB-GYN made a somewhat false report.

https://www.villages-news.com/2019/0...-the-villages/

Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times
Quote:
I don't understand some of the responses I am receiving. I lost my husband to lung cancer -- he was 51 years old -- he NEVER SMOKED. This was a tragedy to me and our three children. I believe I look at life very differently. I appreciate every opportunity and experience I am given. It is not easy to walk through life without my soulmate of 33 years. But I am here and am trying to find a safe environment with activities to keep my mind and body busy. I want to make him proud of the way I continue to lead my life. I was just looking for a place to live out the rest of my life where I would fit in.
It's shameful that some posters would respond in such a callous manner. I hope other posters are helpful to you.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 AM

60 posts, read 241,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
It is not an "old wives tale"! My old boss was the former CEO of the hospital in The Villages and Leesburg ad said it is an absolutely truthful fact!

Old 07-13-2019, 06:39 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
I hope you never reach the "crotchety old people" phase in your life. How not to get there? Die young. Reaching the senior years is a privileged denied to many. Not sure why I sense such disdain for people who were blessed to having reached their golden years.
The OP wants to move to another state, without family or friends in the new location. Being alone and moving to another state can be socially isolating. Moving to a 55+ community means a lot of her neighbors don't work and have a lot of free time to be noisy.

My sister and her husband moved to a 55+ community in Georgetown TX. Initially, my sister enjoyed learning and doing square dancing. But they got out after one or two years as they could not take it. Why does the OP believe moving by herself to a new state and not dating will solve her life issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida