Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 12:32 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times

Advertisements

Isn't the population of Asians in the entire country only about 5%?

...and Florida is about 2.5%

that's kinda the middle....so a lot of states must have much less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 01:43 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
Seriously, a Jollibee!?!
I got to check that out, now if I can only find a place that serves Halo-Halo (Learning how to spell it first might help)
There's a Jollibee in Pinellas as well.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:53 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/b...0Massachusetts.

This link ranks Florida's Asian population as 7th highest. Another website shows:
Here are the 10 states with the largest Asian population: per a 2021 report:

California (6,551,730) ~ 16.4% of total population
New York (1,839,680)
Texas (1,565,750) - ~ 5.4% of the population
New Jersey (923,811)
Washington (812,035)
Illinois (808,038)
Hawaii (802,551)
Florida (734,880) - ~ 3.5% of total population
Virginia (664,348)
Massachusetts (516,599) -~ 7.4% of state residents are of Asian descent.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:34 PM

1,049 posts, read 959,918 times
Maybe it's just my perception, but I have noticed the Asian population grow quite a bit over the last 15 years. Particularly in Broward. I hope it continues to grow to bring more diversity, especially in South Florida.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,235 times
When it comes down to it, it's cause of lack of jobs and Asian community. I'm Asian American and lived in Orlando and Tampa for six years. For a while, I wanted to seek out other Asian Americans to befriend, but have struggled to meet others in my job field or my age range. Onto my points:

LACK OF COMMUNITY: The Asian Social Orlando meetup has been inactive for a while and the local NAAAP (Asian professional organization) mostly consists of older people. I've also been on and off the dating apps, and I see the same handful of Asian dudes on there for years now. The Asians I do see are mainly students or immigrants. It's clear that the young Asian Americans in STEM or tech don't stay in Florida when bigger cities offer far better job opportunities. I'm currently living in Atlanta, and it's just freaking night and day. There is a large Asian community here and I've met lots of transplants like myself. Tons of food options as well. The job market for tech here is hot and so Asian yuppies flock here.

LACK OF HIGH QUALITY JOBS: It's pretty self-explanatory that Orlando and Florida isn't exactly a hotbed for STEM jobs. The wages they offer here were below average for my field and experience while Orlando is getting way too expensive to live. All my friends who I graduated with have moved away for better jobs and that's just how it is and how it'll always be in Orlando until they diversify their economy and strengthen their community here.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:53 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
Jacksonville has a large Filipino community. Not many people talk Jax Asian community.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:54 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Florida is further away from Asia than the west coast is. The west coast has more Asians due to closer location. If Florida were in the west, the state would have more Asians.

Old 09-05-2021, 01:42 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Florida is further away from Asia than the west coast is. The west coast has more Asians due to closer location. If Florida were in the west, the state would have more Asians.
The rest of the East Coast is further away from the West Coast and has nothing to do with geography. As pointed out FL is more/less low wage with higher housing costs and almost as important to many Asians (especially Chinese, Korean, Indian, Pakistani) FL's public education pales in comparison to states like NY, NJ, MD, VA, CT and MA for those with kids. There is a very high value placed on achieving the best education and a lot of societal pressure for children to perform well academically. For those already with better-paying jobs and no kids yet perhaps, losing 20%-30% (or more) of potential income isn't worth the trade-off either versus larger Sunbelt cities like Atlanta, Houston or even Charlotte. Lastly, the cultural attraction isn't here either minus the communities where the traditions of the home country are quite visible and immersible (think Chinatowns, Koreatowns and Muslim or Islamic heavy neighborhoods) in the Northeast US.

Old 09-05-2021, 06:06 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Why? I think you will find more of them in places like Tampa, Orlando, or southeast FL. Younger places and where more of the educated people live and work. Here in Southwest FL I don't find many of them. Our region is a tourist and service industry oriented location.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:28 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Why? I think you will find more of them in places like Tampa, Orlando, or southeast FL. Younger places and where more of the educated people live and work. Here in Southwest FL I don't find many of them. Our region is a tourist and service industry oriented location.
While Florida is generally known as a retirement state, lots of young adults live in Florida's bigger cities. ABC had a sitcom called fresh off the boat which was about an Asian family who moved from DC to Orlando in the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida