Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 10:38 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times

Advertisements

I LOVE the Gulf Side, and many of the smaller communities along the beaches! SUNSETS are incredible. Boating, Kayaking, Fishing just seems to be more enjoyable on the Gulf, but I do miss riding the waves, but its a quick 2 hour jaunt to Cocoa Beach from Tampa to go surfing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 11:35 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
[quote=Christian11;208954]I did not. I live outside Orlando now, in a place called Oviedo. I am moving out of the area in March 2007.

Moderator cut: cut as post was deleted
Where are you moving to? You never answered me.

I'm just curious.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:36 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
I LOVE the Gulf Side, and many of the smaller communities along the beaches! SUNSETS are incredible. Boating, Kayaking, Fishing just seems to be more enjoyable on the Gulf, but I do miss riding the waves, but its a quick 2 hour jaunt to Cocoa Beach from Tampa to go surfing.

Cocoa Beach still hot for surfing and for spring breakers

Old 12-20-2006, 08:33 PM

Northwest Florida best beaches:

Destin-Ft. Walton Beach-Okaloosa Island -- FL

Summer on the Emerald Coast is a special time, and guests of all ages are sure to enjoy their time here. Perhaps that's why Southern Living readers have voted this area the "#1 Family Destination and the Best Beach in the South" three years running.
Directions: Take I-85 South to 98 East.
Features: Covered Pavilion, Restrooms, Boat Ramp, Gear Rentals, Grills and Picnic Tables.

Henderson Beach State Recreation Area -- FL

Recreational activities at Henderson Beach State Recreation Area offer something for the entire family. Swimming, surf fishing and picnicking are popular pastimes. Visitors wishing to try their luck in the surf may catch popular species such as pompano and whiting.
Directions: 98 East to 17000 Emerald Coast Parkway, Destin.
Features: Lifeguards, Picnicking, Surf Fishing, Sandwich Pavilion, Bathhouses with showers.

Navarre Beach -- FL

Nestled between tall shady oaks and the Santa Rosa Sound, Navarre Beach is your family's perfect beach destination! Snow white sands and emerald green surf define the setting and accentuate all local amenities. Play by day at over one-mile waterfront boardwalks, the Panhandle Butterfly House or children's playground.
Directions: From I-10 take Exit 4 to Highway 98 East or Exit 10 to Route 87 South to Navarre Beach.
Features: Covered Pavilion, Concessions, Restrooms, Showers, Lifeguards, Volleyball, Boat Ramp, Gear Rentals, Grills and Picnic Tables.
MISSISSIPPI

Old 12-23-2006, 09:29 PM

168 posts, read 763,056 times
i like both coasts - the atlantic is best for swimmming because of the temperature; remember, the gulf stream! and there are some nice waves.

the gulf is cold but sunsets are quite pretty. the best wave action i ever saw for the gulf was up in the panhandle on the beach. best shelling is near marco island, southwest florida.

but since i grew up in miami, i guess i am partial to the atlantic if i had to choose.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:54 PM

45 posts, read 305,471 times
I've lived on both sides, if you feel like giving up a lung or 2 go to the Gulf side. The Red Tide is so bad it could kill you but no one will be honest about it that lives there. Stick to the Atlantic side or the Keys.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:59 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
The Gulf side is much nicer and the area more laid back then the go-go dade and broward east side cnties for sure.

However, my Wife and I are catching a flight up to Pensacola on tuesday morning. Staying on Navarre Beach and looking at real estate in the area. Have picked 2 dozen listings that fit the criteria this far.

Enjoy!

Old 12-25-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
The Gulf side is much nicer and the area more laid back then the go-go dade and broward east side cnties for sure.

However, my Wife and I are catching a flight up to Pensacola on tuesday morning. Staying on Navarre Beach and looking at real estate in the area. Have picked 2 dozen listings that fit the criteria this far.

Enjoy!
Weather should be a lot better in Tuesday, we had a wet and warm X-mas...

Merry Christmas all and a Happy New Year.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:33 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Here is my preference: for clean swimming, meaning not as much sea weed or little sea creatures at the shore line I vote for the Atlantic. The tides and waves are somewhat higher in the Atlantic, and the temperature of the surf is usually in the mid 80s while the Gulf can hot 90 in the summer. Just a little too warm when it is August. In the winter both coasts are too cold, but the Atlantic stays warmer that time of year.

Florida is VERY priveleged to offer a sunrise and sunset over these different bodies of water. The keys truely have the best of both worlds.

I know the Sanibel area near Fort Myers has those beautiful sands as does the panhandle. The sand on the Atlantic beaches is browner. But personally I prefer the wave action, the gulf feels more like a giant superheated pool and I notice the beaches are not as wide either (Naples, Ft Myers Beach etc).

Old 12-26-2006, 01:20 PM

45 posts, read 305,471 times
This is a message that someone left for me.(Just a liar who has no credibility about what he/she posts about with regards to the gulf side of Florida.)

I wish that the people that live on the Gulf side anywhere between Naples and Tampa would wake up and be honest about the Red Tide problem. If your not sick from it yet, or have not experienced the burning in your throat, all you have to do is some research and you'll see how much they try to hide it from tourists/visitors. I own a house in Venice and it took losing my Mother to Red Tide in Oct. 2006 for me to just walk away from it and get my wife and daughter out of there. If I only knew how bad it was in 2005 I would have NEVER brought my family to that area. We all rely on this and other sources to get the proper info on an area. To this day, you could go to the Venice Chamber of Commerce and ask about Red Tide and they will look at you like your nuts. Other than Red Tide, it is a beautiful area just don't breathe on the beach in the summer. If you want to teach youself about it please check out www.redtidealert.com
Just don't be rude, be honest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida