Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 38,333 times

Advertisements

I am the only person who doesn't like Florida? I have lived in Florida for the past ten years after my parents moved us here because my dad got a job transfer. It was fine at first but I am not sure if I have gone crazy or maybe I am not a Florida guy but I honestly don't like living in Florida anymore. The population in Florida is a bit of a melting pot. Living here has allowed me to meet someone from every state- Even Alaska and Hawaii! Everyone I have ever met has one thing in common; They love Florida and think it's the best place they have ever lived and they hate their home state.

When I mention I don't like Florida, I receive the strangest looks, gasps and get told I am insane. People always ask "How can you not like Florida? It's the best state in the country!" "We have beaches and Disney World!" But I honestly don't like it. I feel like there has to be something else out there in the country or the world. Florida simply can't be the only good place. I also get told I am immature when I mention I don't like Florida. I've been told this by neighbors,my parents friends, teachers, college prof., co-workers, etc.
(I am 21 so perhaps it's because I am Young and I haven't left the state since I moved here 10 years ago).

What I hate about Florida is that it's nothing but one giant Suburb. Florida has nothing but Subdivision, after subdivision and miles and miles of close together suburban houses. A lot of these subdivisions are giant and when you are a kid without a car you are trapped in them. Even with a car they are still a pain to drive through. There aren't any lush forests to explore or any hills or creeks or mountains. It's nothing but rows of houses, golf courses and man made lakes. Also the grass is thick as hell and the only natural terrain is swap with fungus in the water. No crystal clear lakes.

When I lived in upstate New York we had our own private property on a few acres. It was great. I was able to practice hockey outside in the winter, I could hit baseballs off the Tee in the summer, fish without even leaving my property. The lakes and rivers were crystal clear (you could drink from them without worrying about getting sick or Amoebas) There were plenty of lush forests to explore, mountains. It was nice. Here there are neighbors everywhere. It sucks. I hate the lack of rural areas in Florida too.

I also hate how crowded Florida is. It takes forever to drive anywhere due to how crowded the roads are. That combined with bad traffic, bad drivers and bad roads. Florida is just so crowded. Everyday there is a car accident, everyday I am stuck in Traffic due to an accident or simply by too many cars on the road at once.

I also I am not really a bar or club going guy and I don't drink often but this seems to be a big reason people move to Florida. A lot of people say they love Florida's lax alcohol laws (especially people from the Carolinas, PA, New Jersey and the family from Utah I know) and it was a big reason for them moving here. It seems like most people I meet regardless of age the only things they want to do is drink every weekend or go to night clubs. Also what's with people in Florida sitting in their driveways drinking? (Even my parents find this strange).

I am the only who feels this way about Florida? I've meet someone from every state and it seems all them hate their home state and insist Florida is the best. But I just don't buy it.

I'm still in college so it will be a couple of years before I can leave but I hope to be a military officer and see a little bit of the world. (Though I get told I am selfish and immature for wanting too). I find myself dreaming about visiting places such as Wyoming, Montana or even Alaska. Or returning to Upstate New York or New Hampshire. (I love visiting NH as a kid).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 PM

17,200 posts, read 15,390,629 times
No, you're not alone. Plenty of people don't like it for reasons including yours. I moved here in 2002 with my mom and sister. They both left ten years later. I'm still here, and do not intend to move.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
The native Floridians can be very nasty, but they're happy to take your money. I do not like FL for this reason. And the humidity and bugs are two more reasons. Drivers that can't be bothered using turn signals is another.

Seeing "The People of Walmart" in person is very entertaining, though.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
The native Floridians can be very nasty, but they're happy to take your money. I do not like FL for this reason. And the humidity and bugs are two more reasons. Drivers that can't be bothered using turn signals is another.

Both the white native Floridians and the Cubans/Puerto Ricans can be nasty at times. They both complain about northerners and hate each other too which is sometimes funny to listen to.

I like having four seasons. Fall up north was my personal favorite. I'm not a fan of 9 months of summer, 2 of spring and 1 of fall (in January)... I miss having four changing seasons.

I miss being able to buy hockey gear at Walmart or having hockey shops around. Here I have to order everything online.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:06 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:

Native? You mean the transplants. That's where the crowds have come from

Old 08-02-2016, 08:08 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:

The natives are nasty? Really? How come we are?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:09 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Native? You mean the transplants. That's where the crowds have come from

And maybe the nastiness as well?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
The natives are nasty? Really? How come we are?
I have meet both nice and nasty natives. Overall though the nicest people I meet seem to be people from the midwest (Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota) and the western states (Montana and Idaho).

Old 08-02-2016, 08:19 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I wish every person who hated Florida would just leave already. I am a native Floridian who loves her home state and feels it is getting too crowded. We certainly don't need people who hate it staying here and ruining it for the rest of us.

Hopefully, OP, you can move to where you like it better. Plenty of other states to choose from.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida