Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 10:03 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MustangGTFox View Post
I'm taking ROTC as an elective right now in college. (Non-contracted, no scholarship). Some of my parents friends were over a few months ago for BBQ type thing asked about my after college plans and career. I told them I was hoping for a commission through ROTC. Three different couples insisted I was being selfish for wanting to join the military and leave my family behind. I've been told this by a few other random people too.

My parents support my decision to join the military but my dad wants me to go into sales like he does. So do his co-workers (they sometimes joke that they will have a desk ready for me after college).

Personally my dream job is to become a state trooper for the NYSP or become New Hampshire State Police. I've always felt a calling to serve and help people. (NYSP had a good effect on me as a kid. They were always friendly. Plus those Dodge Chargers are cool).

Originally I was leaning towards Armor or MP officer but lately Helicopters have been starting to interest me a lot. I've started reading books about Helicopter Pilots in Vietnam, etc. Maybe an Aviation Officer would be the right fit. Not sure yet though.

PS I started taking Boxing Lessons to get into shape. I love it so far. I kind of want to compete as an AM. No where near ready though.
As long as your parents support you, ignore all the naysayers. Hell, even if your parents didn't support your choice, it is still Your choice and your life to live.

It sounds like your dad wants you to follow in his footsteps. Most dads do, it is normal. It is also normal for parents to let their children decide what they want to do in their own life. But do not be surprised if your parents try to talk you out of police work. That is a worrying occupation...especially in these troubling times.

It also sounds like you are still trying to figure out what you ultimately want to do. Take your time, you are still young. Sounds like you are researching your options so kudos for that. Find your passion, it helps when you love your job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 10:32 AM

261 posts, read 260,940 times
I just moved out of Tampa Bay Florida after 15 years and its no doubt becoming an ever more challenging place to live. The rapid increase of rent, insurances and other other goods and services is hard to handle with the standard southern wages. Some people cant stand the heat but that had no factor on why I left. I actually love the heat.
Do not get me wrong there is some beautiful cities left in this state. But beauty sometimes has hidden problems. The Urban sprawl has really hurt the urban areas the last 10-15 years in Florida. Hillsborough and Pinellas county have very poor mass transportation and dangerous roadway systems. My Car insurance goes up every year despite getting older with a clean record. My rent increased 100 dollars the last year and that is one of the reasons i moved out of dodge. My once quiet neighborhood in Brandon became loud, congested and almost like living in a foreign country.

My advise is really do your research on the area you choose to move to in the State of Florida, because things can change very rapidly in a melting pot transient type of state such as the sunshine state. Look at the ten year demographic and area Transportation plans. Crime statistics can also help but can not always be accurate because Florida of course is an extreme tourist state; which no doubt hinders reporting by some agencies.

Last edited by paradiselost; 08-03-2016 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 10:44 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
I've seen Jacksonsville, Orlando, St Augustine, Tampa, Clearwater/St. Pete, Miami, etc. I kind of all seems the same to me. I guess I'm just not the type of person who goes for these type of towns. St. Augustine was the nicest though.
You have to avoid the big urban areas. There are 100's of small-medium towns out there. Lake City, Crystal River, Live Oak, ...........

Old 08-03-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
I just moved out of Tampa Bay Florida after 15 years and its no doubt becoming an ever more challenging place to live. The rapid increase of rent, insurances and other other goods and services is hard to handle with the standard southern wages. Some people cant stand the heat but that had no factor on why I left. I actually love the heat.
Do not get me wrong there is some beautiful cities left in this state. But beauty sometimes has hidden problems. The Urban sprawl has really hurt the urban areas the last 10-15 years in Florida. Hillsborough and Pinellas county have very poor mass transportation and dangerous roadway systems. My Car insurance goes up every year despite getting older with a clean record. My rent increased 100 dollars the last year and that is one of the reasons i moved out of dodge. My once quiet neighborhood in Brandon became loud, congested and almost like living in a foreign country.

My advise is really do your research on the area you choose to move to in the State of Florida, because things can change very rapidly in a melting pot transient type of state such as the sunshine state. Look at the ten year demographic and area Transportation plans. Crime statistics can also help but can not always be accurate because Florida of course is an extreme tourist state; which no doubt hinders reporting by some agencies.
You have to avoid the big urban areas. There are 100's of small-medium towns out there. Lake City, Crystal River, Live Oak, ...........

Old 08-03-2016, 10:46 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Maybe the OP has what I would figure is the natural urge of the young to flee the nest, see the world, and decide where in the world he'd be happiest-it's got to be anywhere else besides where he grew up. Many of the reasons he gives for wanting to leave are valid, IMO, others I'd say a little experience elsewhere might change his mind or at least put his observations into a better perspective. He is young, has plans and opportunities to go anywhere he wants, and he hopefully will discover the location that's best for him as he travels and discovers what is out there.

As for the people that move to FL figuring that warm weather, proximity to beaches and Disney will fix all their problems, find they don't like it, can't escape their problems or themselves by moving to FL, and spend their time scapegoating and bashing the state, I would agree with you totally.
His reasons, other than mountains, were all factually incorrect. So they are only valid in the sense that you can't invalidate someones personal feelings.

Apparently, Florida doesn't have properties that are 2 acres, we don't have lakes, rivers, or streams, no forest or wildlife, etc. I've just never read anything so ridiculous from an adult.

http://www.floridasprings.org/
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divi.../State-Forests

Last edited by BNBR; 08-03-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 10:48 AM

You are 21. The world is your apple. Take few bites.

Quote:
I'm taking ROTC as an elective right now in college. (Non-contracted, no scholarship). Some of my parents friends were over a few months ago for BBQ type thing asked about my after college plans and career. I told them I was hoping for a commission through ROTC. Three different couples insisted I was being selfish for wanting to join the military and leave my family behind. I've been told this by a few other random people too.

My parents support my decision to join the military but my dad wants me to go into sales like he does. So do his co-workers (they sometimes joke that they will have a desk ready for me after college).

Personally my dream job is to become a state trooper for the NYSP or become New Hampshire State Police. I've always felt a calling to serve and help people. (NYSP had a good effect on me as a kid. They were always friendly. Plus those Dodge Chargers are cool).

Originally I was leaning towards Armor or MP officer but lately Helicopters have been starting to interest me a lot. I've started reading books about Helicopter Pilots in Vietnam, etc. Maybe an Aviation Officer would be the right fit. Not sure yet though.

PS I started taking Boxing Lessons to get into shape. I love it so far. I kind of want to compete as an AM. No where near ready though.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:51 AM

261 posts, read 260,940 times
There sure is but Not a lot of jobs in those for mentioned areas, so people usually dont consider those, even though they are great places. Also Most Millennials wont consider them either because they are too conservative, not enough Starbucks or Coach stores lol and will continue to flock to Tampa and Orlando at a rapid pace driving themselves in to traffic and debt.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It is also a good idea to visit other states. We have a big country out there ready for you to explore and enjoy. You are young and now is one of the better times in your life to broaden your horizons.
Sage advice, heed it, soon the inevitability of steady job and family will come along to make moving around a much harder course of action.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:16 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
I am the only person who doesn't like Florida? I have lived in Florida for the past ten years after my parents moved us here because my dad got a job transfer. It was fine at first but I am not sure if I have gone crazy or maybe I am not a Florida guy but I honestly don't like living in Florida anymore. The population in Florida is a bit of a melting pot. Living here has allowed me to meet someone from every state- Even Alaska and Hawaii! Everyone I have ever met has one thing in common; They love Florida and think it's the best place they have ever lived and they hate their home state.

When I mention I don't like Florida, I receive the strangest looks, gasps and get told I am insane. People always ask "How can you not like Florida? It's the best state in the country!" "We have beaches and Disney World!" But I honestly don't like it. I feel like there has to be something else out there in the country or the world. Florida simply can't be the only good place. I also get told I am immature when I mention I don't like Florida. I've been told this by neighbors,my parents friends, teachers, college prof., co-workers, etc.
(I am 21 so perhaps it's because I am Young and I haven't left the state since I moved here 10 years ago).

What I hate about Florida is that it's nothing but one giant Suburb. Florida has nothing but Subdivision, after subdivision and miles and miles of close together suburban houses. A lot of these subdivisions are giant and when you are a kid without a car you are trapped in them. Even with a car they are still a pain to drive through. There aren't any lush forests to explore or any hills or creeks or mountains. It's nothing but rows of houses, golf courses and man made lakes. Also the grass is thick as hell and the only natural terrain is swap with fungus in the water. No crystal clear lakes.

When I lived in upstate New York we had our own private property on a few acres. It was great. I was able to practice hockey outside in the winter, I could hit baseballs off the Tee in the summer, fish without even leaving my property. The lakes and rivers were crystal clear (you could drink from them without worrying about getting sick or Amoebas) There were plenty of lush forests to explore, mountains. It was nice. Here there are neighbors everywhere. It sucks. I hate the lack of rural areas in Florida too.

I also hate how crowded Florida is. It takes forever to drive anywhere due to how crowded the roads are. That combined with bad traffic, bad drivers and bad roads. Florida is just so crowded. Everyday there is a car accident, everyday I am stuck in Traffic due to an accident or simply by too many cars on the road at once.

I also I am not really a bar or club going guy and I don't drink often but this seems to be a big reason people move to Florida. A lot of people say they love Florida's lax alcohol laws (especially people from the Carolinas, PA, New Jersey and the family from Utah I know) and it was a big reason for them moving here. It seems like most people I meet regardless of age the only things they want to do is drink every weekend or go to night clubs. Also what's with people in Florida sitting in their driveways drinking? (Even my parents find this strange).

I am the only who feels this way about Florida? I've meet someone from every state and it seems all them hate their home state and insist Florida is the best. But I just don't buy it.

I'm still in college so it will be a couple of years before I can leave but I hope to be a military officer and see a little bit of the world. (Though I get told I am selfish and immature for wanting too). I find myself dreaming about visiting places such as Wyoming, Montana or even Alaska. Or returning to Upstate New York or New Hampshire. (I love visiting NH as a kid).

What are you talking about , Florida has plenty of hills

Forget about being a military officer, you're too much of a whiny butt, grow up and no not everyone likes to drink. I think your hyperbola of drama is a bit overdone, no not everyone loves Florida or everything about Florida. I don't like the intense heat and humidity this time of the year that it offers and I am a native Floridian.

People come down from cold-weathered states to get out of the harsh winters. They love their states just not shoveling snow and dealing with below freezing temps.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:31 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
OP needs to get out and explore the world a bit. You may find some place that you love and its what you always dreamed about. Or you may find Florida is not as bad as you think now.

As another repsonse stated you are having idyllic memories of your childhood, returning to upstate NY would not be the same as you remember.

But some people hate FL others love it, just like anywhere else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida