Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 04:34 PM

50 posts, read 55,423 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are fixing to retire and are looking into Florida but although we can tolerate Houston we do not want anything worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:31 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
The west coast is even worse. When we are stuck in a reverse west windflow for weeks at a time from late May till late Sept the wind is blowing off of nasty 90 degree gulf water temps.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:33 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Today in Naples by 11:30 am. On the west coast. Humidity around 80%. Summer here is absolutely opressive and hot. Last summer we hit 117 heat index with 80%+ humidity. This is not the place to be if you cannot handle Texas. It will be worse.

. Believe me it feels every single degree of that 117. Many threads on Florida weather. This heat and humidity usually start around March (SWFL) and can go till Christmas

Old 06-27-2016, 10:59 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
My sister lived in Houston for a few years, when my nephew was born in September 1983 my mom and granny went there to visit her after to baby to help out. My mom and grandmother ( both of whom are Florida natives and lived in homes with A/C until 1959) said Houston was much hotter than Gainesville or Jacksonville.

Florida gets seabreeze from Atlantic and the Gulf.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 7,810 times
I don't know much about Texas but, it always seems to get hotter over there temperature wise or at least that's how it seems on the weather channel. Do you all get a lot of humidity out there? We hit the 90s a lot here but, as another poster pointed out, if you factor in the humidity, it feels much worse than dry weather heat. Depending on where you live, the air is very stagnant with little to no breeze at all unless there is a storm coming. As with anything, you'll hear those that don't find it to be a big deal and those who do. To me, it's a big deal

Old 06-27-2016, 03:33 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Are your glasses fogged up outside all day?

Mine are, today in mid East coastal FL.

A belt on my car starts squealing in humidity so it's been doing that for a couple weeks now. It's a Toyota thing.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...-humidity.html

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei....city-data.com

Old 06-27-2016, 07:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
My husband and I are fixing to retire and are looking into Florida but although we can tolerate Houston we do not want anything worse.
I have found the Central and North East coast of FL are about the same or better than Houston. The sea breeze and slightly cooler water of the Atlantic VS the gulf helps.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:02 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Are your glasses fogged up outside all day?

Mine are, today in mid East coastal FL.

A belt on my car starts squealing in humidity so it's been doing that for a couple weeks now. It's a Toyota thing.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...-humidity.html

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei....city-data.com
Mine constantly fog when I step outside at any time during the day. I can never see until I clean them off once I get inside

Old 06-28-2016, 08:06 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Try the strip of land between the intercostal waterway and the Atlantic Ocean that we call beachside. If you compare weather where I live in Ormond-by-the-sea (zip 32176) and Houston, you would have a hard time finding a day when the weather is nicer in Houston. The Atlantic keeps temperatures more moderate beachside than a few miles inland and if it is hot, then there will be a breeze coming off the ocean.

I can't take the weather in Texas but I don't have a problem beachside.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:04 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Try the strip of land between the intercostal waterway and the Atlantic Ocean that we call beachside. If you compare weather where I live in Ormond-by-the-sea (zip 32176) and Houston, you would have a hard time finding a day when the weather is nicer in Houston. The Atlantic keeps temperatures more moderate beachside than a few miles inland and if it is hot, then there will be a breeze coming off the ocean.

I can't take the weather in Texas but I don't have a problem beachside.
I agree. Sure beats the west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida