Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 PM

409 posts, read 484,709 times

Advertisements

Florida isn't all flat. Where we live there are rolling hills and tons of beautiful trees. Lots of horses, cows, and goats grazing on gorgeous green pasture land. There is so much beautiful countryside. We love it. The people are friendly and and the COL is very affordable. Yes, it's hot and humid. I love the humidity and can tolerate the heat in the summer. It's hot most places in the summer. November through May is usually nice where we are. Although, last year it stayed pretty warm through December.

I don't think jobs are plentiful in this area, but I don't know too much about it since we're retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 08:44 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
Florida isn't all flat. Where we live there are rolling hills and tons of beautiful trees. Lots of horses, cows, and goats grazing on gorgeous green pasture land. There is so much beautiful countryside. We love it. The people are friendly and and the COL is very affordable. Yes, it's hot and humid. I love the humidity and can tolerate the heat in the summer. It's hot most places in the summer. November through May is usually nice where we are. Although, last year it stayed pretty warm through December.

I don't think jobs are plentiful in this area, but I don't know too much about it since we're retired.
Sounds like you are between Brooksville and Ocala. Enjoy!

Old 06-26-2016, 08:50 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Some people find the summer weather intolerable.
A lot of people find a lot of things "intolerable"; that doesn't necessarily imply that politicians (or anyone else) can change them. Your fate rests in your own hands; and don't fool yourself into thinking you can better it by diminishing other peoples' options.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A lot of people find a lot of things "intolerable"; that doesn't necessarily imply that politicians (or anyone else) can change them. Your fate rests in your own hands; and don't fool yourself into thinking you can better it by diminishing other peoples' options.
That is what makes North America a great place to be. You can live in northern Maine and rarely see temperatures over 80 in July and August and a maximum of 70 the rest of the year with lows down to -30f
or you can live in FL where most of the year it doesn't go below 70f very often.

As in most aspects of life, something one person finds in tolerable is just perfect for another.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 7,823 times
Default My opinion on the humidity

I've lived here all 31 years of my life and still am not used to the humidity. The heat isn't my issue at all, it's all about the humidity. Unfortunately for me, I work in a skilled trade where I either work outdoors or in an unconditioned space the majority of the time. I live in Deltona, so I can't speak specifically on Orlando but, most of my best memories were when I was growing up here. I was always an outdoors type of person but, as a kid, I guess the humidity never really bothered me as much as it does now. I notice that whenever it's NOT humid I'm more motivated to go outdoors whether it be working in the yard, going for a walk, fishing, or just being out of the house in general. Some people seem to be ok with it which is completely fine. Other than power outages, I've never been affected by hurricanes as far as property damage goes. Others have not been so lucky. Not to downplay it or anything but, it's really a hit or miss with hurricanes here. It's not like its a weekly or monthly thing. Just be sure to have a plan for the worst so if something does happen, you're prepared.

I have family here which is why I'm still here but, if I ever decide to leave in the future, the weather would probably be at the top of my list when choosing a new place to live. Being able to go outdoors without my shirt being saturated with sweat is important for me.. So depending on how important weather is to you, you may want to spend some time down here before making a decision to move.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:25 PM

409 posts, read 484,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Sounds like you are between Brooksville and Ocala. Enjoy!
We're an hour north of Brooksville and west of Ocala.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:39 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
It is hot and expensive. On the upside, we have pretty friendly people and world class medical facilities.

The heat is no joke. 90's for a few months then down to 80's. Only cool months are Dec - Feb (March is nice, but it's not cold).

Old 06-27-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
It is hot and expensive. On the upside, we have pretty friendly people and world class medical facilities.

The heat is no joke. 90's for a few months then down to 80's. Only cool months are Dec - Feb (March is nice, but it's not cold).
Anyone who relocates to Florida and have cold weather failed to look at a map.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
We're an hour north of Brooksville and west of Ocala.
Nice place to be indeed.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:43 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4_Cars_Travelling View Post
I lived in Florida for several years and have lived several other places both in and out of the US. Simply put, Florida was the worst place I have lived. In college I had some fun times there, but except for the times I was at the beach in the spring or the fall, it tended to be miserable. The summer was way too hot to even go and check your mailbox. No kidding.

The worst thing was the weather. Extreme heat and mostly thick humidity 24/7...speaks for itself. I always had to be indoors with the AC blaring be and I constantly wanted to take a shower. Been through several scary hurricanes that destroyed a lot of my property. The cost of living when factoring in the extremely low pay, was completely ridiculous. It's obvious that the place it meant for retirees with a fat bank account from saving for 50 years. It's also completely flat, boring and culture less. The demographic consists mostly of very old, and old school people.

Place to visit, well at least once. Place to live. I dare you to try. Have a way out. Don't get rooted there too soon. Owning a home there? Like people have said, you get a lot for little money...but you get what you pay for. You're in Florida. Working out of state and owning a home there could make sense however.

I lived in Miami (pretty, in the good areas...maybe 10% of the city), Fort Laudedale, no thanks, and worst of all Orlando. Other than the fairly nice theme parks - and once you've been, you've been...absolutely no thank you. Especially if you want a job because of the below poverty line average pay in Orlando specifically. I'm happy I lived there to get it out of my system, but I was over it within 2 weeks.
In general, FL is not for couch potatoes..

South FL is a mecca for water sports, especially scuba diving, fishing, boating etc..if you had nothing to do there and it felt boring, the problem was you, not Miami or Lauderdale. Also, there's a million things to do in Orlando too, heck in all of FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida