Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:57 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

I've also lived in a lot of places and Florida is my favorite too. However, the weather is a big positive to me because my skin tends to be extra dry in dry climates and I love water activities, so hot weather is a big bonus too. My biggest complaint would be lack of Asian culture... too many restaurants group Thai/Sushi or Chinese/Thai or always like opposite end cuisine and usually the end result is an attempt to make the actual cuisine, but comes off as being westernized fusion crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 PM

17,189 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I've also lived in a lot of places and Florida is my favorite too. However, the weather is a big positive to me because my skin tends to be extra dry in dry climates and I love water activities, so hot weather is a big bonus too. My biggest complaint would be lack of Asian culture... too many restaurants group Thai/Sushi or Chinese/Thai or always like opposite end cuisine and usually the end result is an attempt to make the actual cuisine, but comes off as being westernized fusion crap.
YES!!! I've yet to see any Thai/Sushi spot serve actual QUALITY sushi worth paying for.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:39 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:

We have plenty of legit and authentic spots, too.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
We have plenty of legit and authentic spots, too.
Not that many and the places that serve authentic items seem old because most White people would never order them. I love Florida, but it lacks quality Asian restaurants, sure I still have my favorites here, but compared to what I eat in San Francisco or especially when I travel abroad... can't compare for most things.

Name some authentic Sichuan restaurants?

Name some authentic Taiwanese dessert cafes?

Name some authentic Hot Pot restaurants?

Name some authentic Shabu Shabu restaurants?

Name some authentic Dim Sum restaurants?

There are some other types as well I haven't found, but these are some of the big ones I used to eat a lot.

(Key word is authentic, not just served by Chinese or Japanese. We have been trying the couple of dim sum places here and we ask for the same items that they don't have and the server is always shocked like "HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT DISH!? And then proceeds by saying you can't find it in Florida.")

Believe me I've tried a lot (well I haven't found any true Sichuan restaurants yet) and none of them either had common dishes that every restaurant in that country would have or the style of it is different from how you would eat it in that country).

I have found good Pho, Korean BBQ, Thai, Yakiniku restaurants and a couple decent ramen restaurants, but the quantity of them is still very limited considering the population. It's not surprising though because there isn't a big Asian population, so I knew what I was getting into and am okay with it because there are enough places I like to get me by between my trips to Asia or say San Francisco, Los Angeles or NYC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ripping on Florida, I love it here and would choose to live here over San Francisco in a heart beat, but this is a negative and once again, it's not surprising because you need the population to really be able to support authentic Sichuan restaurants etc.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
YES!!! I've yet to see any Thai/Sushi spot serve actual QUALITY sushi worth paying for.
Yeah, it's sort of funny because they are really polar opposites, but I understand why they do it lol.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:55 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Name some authentic Sichuan restaurants? Fushia Asian Bistro Tampa FL

Name some authentic Hot Pot restaurants? Ho Ho Choy - hohochoychinese.com

Name some authentic Shabu Shabu restaurants? Ho Ho Choy - hohochoychinese.com

Quote:
Not that many and the places that serve authentic items seem old because most White people would never order them. I love Florida, but it lacks quality Asian restaurants, sure I still have my favorites here, but compared to what I eat in San Francisco or especially when I travel abroad... can't compare for most things.

Name some authentic Dim Sum restaurants? Ho Ho Choy - hohochoychinese.com

There are some other types as well I haven't found, but these are some of the big ones I used to eat a lot.

(Key word is authentic, not just served by Chinese or Japanese. We have been trying the couple of dim sum places here and we ask for the same items that they don't have and the server is always shocked like "HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT DISH!? And then proceeds by saying you can't find it in Florida.")

Believe me I've tried a lot (well I haven't found any true Sichuan restaurants yet) and none of them either had common dishes that every restaurant in that country would have or the style of it is different from how you would eat it in that country).

I have found good Pho, Korean BBQ, Thai, Yakiniku restaurants and a couple decent ramen restaurants, but the quantity of them is still very limited considering the population. It's not surprising though because there isn't a big Asian population, so I knew what I was getting into and am okay with it because there are enough places I like to get me by between my trips to Asia or say San Francisco, Los Angeles or NYC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ripping on Florida, I love it here and would choose to live here over San Francisco in a heart beat, but this is a negative and once again, it's not surprising because you need the population to really be able to support authentic Sichuan restaurants etc.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

This proves my point lol.

Chef Recommendation: General Tsao Chicken, Orange Chicken, Walnut Shrimp lol only Westerners eat these and they chef recommendations? lol

Shabu Shabu is Japanese, not Chinese. And putting dim sum with shabu shabu is as sinilar as Mexican Fajitas and Cheese Burgers lol.

This is Sichuan food, lots of hot chilli oil with these peppercorns that make your tongue feel numb, they would never sell Orange Chicken lol. Or like chilled beef tendon thinly sliced with cold hot oil and some spices.

I'll post some pictures when I get home... The mobile version is pissing me off lol

Last edited by bmw335xi; 06-02-2016 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-02-2016, 07:30 PM

17,189 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Yeah... There's no denying FL is SEVERELY LIMITED in quality Asian dining. When craving it, I typically just try to make it myself. There are a few markets nearby that sell authentic Asian fare (Tan Tien in Orlando is my go to spot) but the restaurant quality in all of FL is limited.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:35 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
This proves my point lol.

Chef Recommendation: General Tsao Chicken, Orange Chicken, Walnut Shrimp lol only Westerners eat these and they chef recommendations? lol

Shabu Shabu is Japanese, not Chinese. And putting dim sum with shabu shabu is as sinilar as Mexican Fajitas and Cheese Burgers lol.

This is Sichuan food, lots of hot chilli oil with these peppercorns that make your tongue feel numb, they would never sell Orange Chicken lol. Or like chilled beef tendon thinly sliced with cold hot oil and some spices.
I've never been to Florida, but we are going there for vacation for the first time later this year. My family owns a Chinese restaurant (Shanghai cuisine) and the fact that there are few Asian restaurants (and few Asians) is a reason we are considering relocating to Florida in the future. I feel like it's a ripe spot for new authentic Asian cuisines and not this Pan Asian crap that is popping up all over the US. Florida has a huge transient population from other northern states with larger Asian populations, so even if the population remains relatively white and black, I do think the need for good authentic Asian cuisines is there. My uncle who is from here in Eastern Kansas and moved to Tampa always complains about the lack of good Chinese restaurants that serve things like hot pot, fish, real authentic dishes. He says it's very hard to find good Asian food. Yes, even here in Eastern Kansas one can find great Sushi, hot pot, dim sum, Korean BBQ, etc.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:55 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
It is a good place overall, just really depends on where you live. I live in a small town in central FL and it's a nice place to live. If I lived in southeast FL, I'd probably think much differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida