Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 03:34 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times

Advertisements

I like the fact that Mr Scott won with less than 50% of the vote, in fact a slightly smaller percentage than four years ago.

Constitutional Government by Legislature, then.

Similar to what is going on in Washington (and in Madison, Jay and Jefferson; those old men who simply won't go away, will they?, rule from the grave, and still rule from the grave, - the Constitution -, deal with it).

It seems that Mr Wyllie took a few more votes away from Mr Crist than from Mr Scott.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Crist switches back to the republican party over the next four years - he's still a relatively young man - and actually wins.

The amendment on land preservation won by a large majority, it's simply practical common sense in terms of long-term risk management, nothing partisan or ideological about it.

Sorry to see the medical marijuana amendment didn't pass, though it did have well more than 50% of the vote. Maybe next time.

In my district, our US House race was uncontested (R), the Florida Senate race was uncontested (R), and the Florida House race went to the incumbent (R) with around 58%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 04:04 AM

734 posts, read 921,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I like the fact that Mr Scott won with less than 50% of the vote, in fact a slightly smaller percentage than four years ago.

Similar to what is going on in Washington (and in Madison, Jay and Jefferson; those old men who simply won't go away, will they?, rule from the grave, and still rule from the grave, - the Constitution -, deal with it).

It seems that Mr Wyllie took a few more votes away from Mr Crist than from Mr Scott.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Crist switches back to the republican party over the next four years - he's still a relatively young man - and actually wins.

The amendment on land preservation won by a large majority, it's simply practical common sense in terms of long-term risk management, nothing partisan or ideological about it.

Sorry to see the medical marijuana amendment didn't pass, though it did have well more than 50% of the vote. Maybe next time.

In my district, our US House race was uncontested (R), the Florida Senate race was uncontested (R), and the Florida House race went to the incumbent (R) with around 58%.
All of these clowns voting for Wyllie, a whopping 3.8% of voters, quite possibly damaged Crist in a very hotly contested race.

Medical marijuana was shot down, despite having the majority of the vote in favor. The. Majority.

Floriduh lives up to its national reputation. The old geezers and idiots win again.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post

Medical marijuana was shot down, despite having the majority of the vote in favor. The. Majority.
Read the Constitution and what "majority" means in certain cases, such as, well, amending the Constitution or, say, overriding a presidential veto. Or Senate rules to, say, stop a filibuster.

There are reasons, good reasons, for a qualified majority.

Read the Constitution.

Medical marijuana, and eventually full legalization with full regulation and taxation, will eventually come to Florida too, be patient.

And if you can't, well then move to a state like Colorado, Washington, Alaska, or California if you can afford it.

Good Luck!

Old 11-05-2014, 04:16 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
ok- they got the ball -hope we don turn into Kansas by the way wheres Toto?

Old 11-05-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Read the Constitution and what "majority" means in certain cases, such as, well, amending the Constitution or, say, overriding a presidential veto. Or Senate rules to, say, stop a filibuster.

There are reasons, good reasons, for a qualified majority.

Read the Constitution.

Medical marijuana, and eventually full legalization with full regulation and taxation, will eventually come to Florida too, be patient.

And if you can't, well then move to a state like Colorado, Washington, Alaska, or California if you can afford it.

Good Luck!
As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't partake. Well, not anymore. Haven't for 20 years or so. I know a few people who suffer debilitating medical ailments, and horrible side effects from chemo, and all the doctors want to do is pump them full of "legal" anti-nausea meds of varying success rates, while big pharma and their insurance pals rape their wallets.

Yes, that's right puritans. I don't smoke and I'm wildly in favor of legalization. How's that for a mind-blowing notion?!!?!?!?!?! Fear not, Floriduh. One day when all the ancient hayseed geezers shuffle off the mortal coil, perhaps then we can legislate laws more in tune with the century in which we live.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
I don't smoke and I'm wildly in favor of legalization. How's that for a mind-blowing notion?!!?!?!?!?!
Not at all, sounds reasonable to me. I don't smoke either, but I am in favor of full legalization, regulation, and taxation.

I am quite conservative in my personal behavior, but at the same time I don't mind, for example, the legalization of same sex marriage, in many states now, through the Courts, which are a co-equal branch of government.

Checks and balances, then. Death, too, is a check and balance, isn't it? What has value lives on, what doesn't ....

By the way, you should also read James Madison on the tyranny of the majority, it may help you understand why in in certain cases qualified majorities are enshrined in our Constitutional order.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:14 AM

I've read up on it. I still don't personally believe that achieving a 58% majority should ever fail to turn the tides on an existing law.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:08 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
I expect Scott to stop twiddling his thumbs on Medicaid expansion. There are millions of Floridians who need it. He ran a platform that supported the expansion and he was elected on the expectation that he will expand it. He needs to get working on that.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:51 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times
Quote:

I had the same thought about Crist changing parties once again.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:53 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times
Quote:
All of these clowns voting for Wyllie, a whopping 3.8% of voters, quite possibly damaged Crist in a very hotly contested race.

Floriduh lives up to its national reputation. The old geezers and idiots win again.
60% was needed, as that is what is required to change the state constitution. It is not just a majority rules thing......as much as I wanted/needed it to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida