Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:46 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I say do it. North Florida is more like South Georgia anyway.
Lol a lot of people say that. There does seem to be a big difference in the culture of the state from one side to the other. And then of course there is Orlando a world unto itself nothing else like it anywhere in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
The problem with this motion is that if there were a state called SFL (which I don't think is the huge deal some are making it out to be - there are plenty of N and S states, and it wasn't the end of the world), we would have to choose a capital. And I'm pretty sure it would end up being Miami. And as a SFL resident who lived in Miami for about 5 years, I'm not down with that. Miami should not be in charge of any government of any kind - not even their own - so they definitely should not be running a whole state. The city is extremely corrupt.

Now of course it would be totally fascinating if Key West was chosen to be the new SFL state capital, and perhaps that is the best in keeping with the climate change initiative. But wow... wouldn't that be amazing? People around the country would start watching state legislature sessions on CSPAN, just to see Key Weird run a whole state and get involved in Federal-level politics. It would be awesome! Ultimately, maybe Ft. Lauderdale would be the best choice, as it has the most diverse population, and possibly a little more of a centered group of people to run things. But my vote is still for Key West, since this whole situation is imaginary anyway!

Here is a local Keys paper article on the split state idea:
Mainland city proposes splitting Florida in two, creating the 51st state of South Florida | News | KeysNet

Of course, Monroe County as a whole did officially try to secede from the Union as a separate country called the Conch Republic, not just make its own state - even though that was meant to be a joke to draw attention to local issues - so there are some who support the idea of having a SFL with a more localized govt. that would be aware of issues pertinent to residents. But it would seem that the majority down here are against it. Particularly lifetime or long-time residents of FL have a predictable amount of state loyalty, even though of course NFL would be flat broke without us. There is more to a relationship than money, right? We can love NFL even if they don't bring anything home to pay the bills. But of course, having different values does make keeping a relationship together hard.

Key West running things would be amazing! Would they make decisions with Jimmy Buffet songs playing in the background, discuss politics for a few hours and then back to the beach? And probably accomplish more then any other city would in the process lol.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Not a very bright idea if anything we should make Puerto Rico the 51th state. South Florida is very different from Northern Florida but NYC is very different from Upstate NY and they are not asking this question. Stupid idea, waste of time.. law makers need to focus more on poverty, lack of affordable jousting and lack of educational opportunities for people than this bull****.

I do not think most Puerto Ricans want to be a state I think most like things to stay the way they are but some want to break away and start a new ( but very poor ) country.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I do not think most Puerto Ricans want to be a state I think most like things to stay the way they are but some want to break away and start a new ( but very poor ) country.
when did you ask one? most want to, but the leadership does not, it is not profitable for them, since when do the politicians do what the people want anymore?$$$

Old 11-03-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
when did you ask one? most want to, but the leadership does not, it is not profitable for them, since when do the politicians do what the people want anymore?$$$
Yes I have discussed the subject. A few more fanatical ones want to start over as a poor country but most seem happy to keep things the way they are. They thought becoming a state would cause problems, that they would lose benefits . I do believe though that statehood won the vote in 2012? And yet it still has not happened.

I know that the medical care is not as good over there and getting access the medicines is harder for one thing. I also know that years ago our companies polluted their environment pretty badly and I hope they can recover because it is a beautiful country from what I have seen in photos.

How would it be better or worse for Puerto Rico to be a state instead of a territory?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:25 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
This would be a legal nightmare in terms of which of the two states has potable water rights for the Everglades watersheds.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
This would be a legal nightmare in terms of which of the two states has potable water rights for the Everglades watersheds.
I didnt know that . But they are too away to affect the everglades in south florida arent they? What about if proposition 1 wins The Florida Water and Land Conservation Initiative?

Florida Water and Land Conservation Initiative, Amendment 1 (2014) - Ballotpedia

It has my vote

Old 11-03-2014, 01:07 PM

The Everglades watershed technically starts just north of Orlando.

Fresh water allocation is a huge inter-state issue right now, not just Out West but also among Florida-Georgia-Alabama involving the Apalachicola-Flint-Chatahoochee river water allocation with Alabama and Florida claiming that Atlanta's failure to properly plan for increased water use tied to population growth does not constitute an emergency for the other two states, so watch your taking and don't mess with the salinity of oyster beds....

Old 11-03-2014, 09:49 PM

Speaking of the Florabama vs. Georgia 'water wars', the US Supreme Court has agreed to take up the case:

'Water wars' lawsuit advances to U.S. Supreme Court | Tampa Bay Times

Turns out that Scott and Lawyer Barbie might have done something useful for the state after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida