Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,127 times

Advertisements

Hi. Need to move with my mom to a Florida community that will meet her needs: warm weather, warm, cheerful people, respect & socialization for the elderly. Vibrant, middle class & up.

Because she is Puerto Rican and now elderly & fragile, those roots matter more to her than they did in the 60+ years she lived in the NE US raising a family. So a Puerto Rican community would be ideal; hence my choosing between Tampa, Orlando, and Miami.

How do the Puerto Rican communities within these cities differ from each other, and how are they similar?

Want mom's last residence to be a good one for her. Appreciate your sincere advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:17 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
I would immediately strike Orlando from the list as there really isn't a visible "middle to upper class" Puerto Rican community here. From what I understand the situation is similar or worse in terms of demographics in Miami. Tampa is probably the better option as it's one of the most populated Puerto Rican cities, yet doesn't have the sketchy "lower middle class" Puerto Rican neighborhoods you probably are looking to avoid. She'll have plenty of social opportunity in Tampa but won't be faced with the unpleasant aspects of a neighborhood with safety issues. I'd recommend checking out the bordering NW suburbs of Oldsmar or Westchase, and the west end of the Town & Country neighborhood (which is the primary Puerto Rican area in Tampa).

Old 10-26-2014, 10:59 AM

Question Follow-up question on your Orlando experience

Wow Kyle, thanks for your thoughtful reply.

One more question, since it seems you're from the Orlando area:

If you had to choose one or two places in the Orlando area, what would they be? I'm not from Florida, so comparing Tampa with Orlando will help me get my bearings.

To be more specific: we appreciate well-kept homes & surroundings because it show that residents care about where they live no matter how modest their circumstances; appreciate kind neighborliness, too. I add this because, at least in the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic, people are often more kind and sociable with the elderly when they're not focused on high-income lives. I don't want to close myself off to the gentle patience mom needs socially, if it exists in Puerto Rican Orlando.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:58 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,366,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would immediately strike Orlando from the list as there really isn't a visible "middle to upper class" Puerto Rican community here. From what I understand the situation is similar or worse in terms of demographics in Miami. Tampa is probably the better option as it's one of the most populated Puerto Rican cities, yet doesn't have the sketchy "lower middle class" Puerto Rican neighborhoods you probably are looking to avoid. She'll have plenty of social opportunity in Tampa but won't be faced with the unpleasant aspects of a neighborhood with safety issues. I'd recommend checking out the bordering NW suburbs of Oldsmar or Westchase, and the west end of the Town & Country neighborhood (which is the primary Puerto Rican area in Tampa).
I really don't think they should overlook Orlando. When it comes to middle to upper class Puerto Rican communities, Oldsmar and Westchase are not much different than Hunter's Creek and some of the West Orange county areas like Waterford Lakes and Avalon Park. West Town 'n' Country is also a hit or miss. Some areas of TnC are middle to upper class, while many are working to lower-middle class and aren't much different than the working/lower-middle class Puerto Rican areas in Orlando.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:39 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,758 times
Honestly Puerto Ricans here are more richer than up north by a long shot so I don't think you would have to worry about. Hunters Creek in Orlando is nice area known to have a decent sized Hispanic population and I think would be area to look at.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:00 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
The issue in Orlando is while there may be a pocket or two of possibility in terms of neighborhood the surrounding area is often not that appealing in terms of personal safety/crime. Hunter's Creek is still nice in areas but on the decline in neighboring communities (Meadow Woods for example) which in my opinion doesn't bode well for HC. Oldsmar and Westchase are pretty solidly middle to upper middle class in/around the area, without the deterioration factor seen in Orlando. I do agree Town and Country can be hit or miss and in my opinion kind of reflects what the Hunter's Creek community is becoming with a nicer area to one side and less nice on the other, along with changing pockets here and there.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:11 AM

This has been very helpful; thank you to all who replied. Which takes me to one other question:

Are any of these possibilities urban or semi-urban? Mixed residential-commercial rather than sleepy suburbs? Or otherwise with outdoor activity/liveliness/human presence so a no-longer-driving elderly person can see & feel life around them?

Mom lives with me alone, no others at home with us to fill it with life, so ideally vibrancy needs to surround us in some other way.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:07 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,366,063 times
Quote:
The issue in Orlando is while there may be a pocket or two of possibility in terms of neighborhood the surrounding area is often not that appealing in terms of personal safety/crime. Hunter's Creek is still nice in areas but on the decline in neighboring communities (Meadow Woods for example) which in my opinion doesn't bode well for HC. Oldsmar and Westchase are pretty solidly middle to upper middle class in/around the area, without the deterioration factor seen in Orlando. I do agree Town and Country can be hit or miss and in my opinion kind of reflects what the Hunter's Creek community is becoming with a nicer area to one side and less nice on the other, along with changing pockets here and there.
That's a pretty fair assessment. I also think the OP should know that they're not going to find an area that is strictly middle to upper class AND mostly Puerto Rican. Even upper class Cubans don't have Coral Gables all to themselves; They have to share Coral Gables with other Hispanic groups and a huge percentage of Non-Hispanic Whites (which make up over 40% of CG's population). The same with Kendall, Doral, etc. Higher-end places like HC, Westchase, Oldsmar or Avalon Park aren't going to have a huge Puerto Rican presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InwardBound View Post
This has been very helpful; thank you to all who replied. Which takes me to one other question:

Are any of these possibilities urban or semi-urban? Mixed residential-commercial rather than sleepy suburbs? Or otherwise with outdoor activity/liveliness/human presence so a no-longer-driving elderly person can see & feel life around them?

Mom lives with me alone, no others at home with us to fill it with life, so ideally vibrancy needs to surround us in some other way.
If New Urbanism is what you're looking for, then Hunter's Creek and Avalon Park should definitely be considered. Hunter's Creek actually has a new walkable center that is integrated with town houses, condos, restaurants, stores and offices. Avalon Park also has a similar layout. I would probably lean towards Hunter's Creek over Avalon Park because AP might feel a little more empty and isolated. Also, HC might have a stronger Puerto Rican presence than AP. But not much compared to some surrounding areas like Kissimmee (or most areas in Osceola county), Meadow Woods, etc.

Also keep in mind that Hunter's Creek and Avalon Park are little more pricey.

Last edited by LordHomunculus; 10-27-2014 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 01:37 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,985 times
My neighbor is Puerto Rican (beautiful place). He says Tampa. The community there and in Orlando will probably be much smaller than in Miami, but Miami presents quite a few challenges (according to my neighbor, I've never lived there). It's a lot more laid back in the other two cities. There's a lot of Cubans in Miami you realize. In my experience those two groups don't always get along so well together. My neighbor was REAL firm on that one. Me, I don't care about any of that as long as people are friendly.

I don't think the op is interested in middle class, upper class, etc, from what I read, just a nice neighborhood w/ good people in it.

Last edited by smarino; 10-29-2014 at 01:46 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 06:03 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,897,666 times
Quote:
Tampa is probably the better option as it's one of the most populated Puerto Rican cities, yet doesn't have the sketchy "lower middle class" Puerto Rican neighborhoods you probably are looking to avoid. She'll have plenty of social opportunity in Tampa but won't be faced with the unpleasant aspects of a neighborhood with safety issues. I'd recommend checking out the bordering NW suburbs of Oldsmar or Westchase, and the west end of the Town & Country neighborhood
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
When it comes to middle to upper class Puerto Rican communities, Oldsmar and Westchase are not much different than Hunter's Creek and some of the West Orange county areas like Waterford Lakes and Avalon Park. West Town 'n' Country is also a hit or miss. Some areas of TnC are middle to upper class, while many are working to lower-middle class and aren't much different than the working/lower-middle class Puerto Rican areas in Orlando.
I agree with both comments.

Some of my PR friends also live in Citrus Park which is right next to Westchase.

Any questions about some specifics , come back and ask away.Welcome !

Last edited by Sunscape; 10-29-2014 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida