Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 AM

17 posts, read 15,563 times

Advertisements

I'm a starter motorcycle enthusiast looking to start enjoying Florida as much as possible before moving out of state in a few years. I know this is long shot but i'm in search of someone who has or knows someone with a used motorcycle. I'm hoping , at best, for a running motorcycle that has seen it's use with it's current owner and they are looking to get rid of it because of an inability to ride any longer etc. Rest assured it would be taken care of. I'm not a hot shot driver/rider by any means I know how to drive defensively and offensively in a respectable manner. I'm just looking for an bike that I can enjoy my ride to work on and a weekend ride here and there. Any help or information is appreciated. ( yes I know about craigslist, e-bay and such. I'm just trying to reach out where I can as money is tight and i'm exploring all my options.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Before you commit to a purchase find out what the insurance is going to cost..
And while you know about Craigslist it is probably your best bet to find what you are looking for as i just counted at least 5000 bikes for sale by owner in the Tampa Bay area.
https://tampa.craigslist.org/mcy/

What kind of bike are you looking for and whats your price range?

This one looks like something i'd have a look at'
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/4460170219.html

Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
You should look at a cruiser, not a 'ninja' bike. Harley's are good and you can get a sportster reasonably, especially if you are buying someone' 'mid-life crisis'. You can pick up an older bike pretty cheap but you have to consider that it will be significantly less reliable than a newer bike.

While Craigslist is a good spot to buy from, as a beginner I would go to a dealer and look at their used bikes first. They are gone through by their mechanics before being put on the lot.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 AM

Yea that's the problem though. I've seen the handiwork of dealer mechanics lol. Although having some kind of warranty would be nice but it can be more of a hassle than buying straight up after doing a thorough self inspection. Also to be honest iv'e been considering both options of cruiser vs sports bike. I love Harleys and the way they sound but I also like the mpg you can get out of mid side sport bikes.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:05 PM

83 posts, read 113,436 times
Rider Coach here. That 1999 Ninja doesn't look too bad. Insurance on it will be like, almost nothing. If it will pass a safety inspection, you're good as gold. If you want something to enjoy riding, there's no need for something as heavy (or expensive to repair) as a Harley.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
Unless you have a good stash for repairs or are a top notch motorcycle mechanic, I would buy a used Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha from a dealer. One who will give you some form of warranty and provide service if/when it breaks. Bikes are very pricey to fix if you can't do it yourself, and if you don't do repairs, once you buy a bike from an individual it's your problem.

The old classic Yamaha XS650 twins were Japanese copies of Triumphs without the oil leaks, positive ground Lucas electrics (the Prince of Darkness!) and combination of Whitworth and UNC threaded fasteners. They have a classic look and upright riding style. Very comfortable cruisers, dead reliable, adequate power, and best of all they look and sound like a motorcycle should sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9UJaqR23pQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6naBZc94w

Last edited by smarino; 05-12-2014 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 04:56 PM

Yea, I love that sound. And no, I can't fix a bike. Hell I don't know how to fix a car beyond basic oil change/brake change/ rotor turn/ and tire change. I certainly don't have any tools. So I understand buying from a dealer. I would like to go back to school possibly as a mechanic. Specifically for bikes.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:24 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
I realize this is not fun to point out, but please consider wearing a helmet and riding the speed limit, and staying in your own lane. Motorcyclists are consistently among the worst drivers on the road, and obviously are the most at risk. Please enjoy the road without ruining it for everyone else.

Just worth pointing it out if you haven't considered it much, since you're new to riding. No one wants to be responsible for your brain splatting on the pavement when you weave around them unexpectedly in their same lane at 90 mph, and they happen to choose that moment to switch lanes. I see near misses all the time. It's not fair to other drivers to have to pay out on their insurance, and get high premiums for life, for killing or paralyzing an idiot who thought the road should be treated like his own personal video game. I'm so impressed when I see responsible riders who know how to share the road. But for every 1 responsible motorcyclist I see on the road, I see 19 who are on a kamikaze mission. Keep it safe so you can enjoy the bike for a long time to come.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 AM

Oh, of course. I understand. I will be wearing full gear each time I sit on my bike. I understand the risks and plan on taking every precaution necessary to make it as safe as possible for myself and others on the road. Believe you me, i have seen my fair share of crappy drivers. I live in Florida. This state is riddled with drivers who bring their bad habits from all over the country and compact their "knowledge" into testing the other drivers here on the road. They feel as though the road is theirs and that everyone else is in their way.

It seems like you may be talking from the perspective of driving a car/truck though. And in all honesty while I have been here in Florida for 8 years. The majority of bad drivers that I see are from the people in the cars and bigger trucks who just try to bully people out of their way. Don't get me wrong I know full well and have seen my fair share of bad riders. Iv'e been buzzed by plenty of bikes. In fact a few months ago I got scared by a bike that came up from behind me. I was in the right lane and doing 45. He passed by me going up the bicycle lane like I was sitting still. I didn't even hear him until he was passing by me.

I have full respect for other drivers/riders on the road. I've learned to look for bikes on the road and check blind spots since before I was driving myself. As for the gear, It irks me every time I see a rider not wearing a jacket or helmet and gloves. Especially here in Florida you see people in flip-flops /shorts and t-shirt with no helmet.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:28 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskeeter View Post
Oh, of course. I understand. I will be wearing full gear each time I sit on my bike. I understand the risks and plan on taking every precaution necessary to make it as safe as possible for myself and others on the road. Believe you me, i have seen my fair share of crappy drivers. I live in Florida. This state is riddled with drivers who bring their bad habits from all over the country and compact their "knowledge" into testing the other drivers here on the road. They feel as though the road is theirs and that everyone else is in their way.

It seems like you may be talking from the perspective of driving a car/truck though. And in all honesty while I have been here in Florida for 8 years. The majority of bad drivers that I see are from the people in the cars and bigger trucks who just try to bully people out of their way. Don't get me wrong I know full well and have seen my fair share of bad riders. Iv'e been buzzed by plenty of bikes. In fact a few months ago I got scared by a bike that came up from behind me. I was in the right lane and doing 45. He passed by me going up the bicycle lane like I was sitting still. I didn't even hear him until he was passing by me.

I have full respect for other drivers/riders on the road. I've learned to look for bikes on the road and check blind spots since before I was driving myself. As for the gear, It irks me every time I see a rider not wearing a jacket or helmet and gloves. Especially here in Florida you see people in flip-flops /shorts and t-shirt with no helmet.
That's so good (and rare) to hear! So glad you're thinking about what you're doing, because especially on a bike, your life depends on it.

I think the problem in FL is most people don't think much about what they're doing. People who ride bicycles don't take the time to learn the laws for biking, and drivers don't take the time to learn either so they know what to expect from and how to drive next to bicycles. People who drive cars think more about where they're getting when, and sometimes they don't think about HOW they're getting there or IF, almost at all! Many never learned the rules of the road. [I am of the opinion that one should have to pass a written AND driving test once every 5-10 years to renew/maintain a current license - most of the people now on the road wouldn't pass and would have to actually study the laws and think about how they're driving. A lot of people like the elderly who no longer have the eyesight or dementia would be stopped then too, so the family isn't the one responsible for taking away the keys.] Truckers in some parts of FL are worse than I've ever seen elsewhere - not sure why, but some of them clearly aren't considering the rules of the road either.

I was speaking mostly from my experience in the Keys, which is most recent, although I have been a heavy driver all my life all over the country. In my entire life, I have seen (and also known) many motorcycle riders on the road, and it really has come down to about 1 in every 20 that I've seen ride responsibly. Most are weaving all over the place never with their own full lane, driving in the shoulder of the road like they think they're an ambulance, riding without gear, or going 100+ mph on a straight hwy because they think it's cool and they can. They cut you off and never use a signal, and generally make it really hard not to hit them. In the Keys, they are the worst drivers on the road after the drunk ones, probably because they're on vacation. So add the normal poor driving to a party mentality and nothing but beach gear - no shirt, sandals, no helmet or gloves, and some screaming friend hanging off the back goofing around.

But that's not to say that car or truck drivers are so great in the Keys either, or certainly on mainland Florida - I would give you in Miami, for instance, that the car drivers are the worst drivers and far more dangerous. They don't care whatsoever if they kill you. It just depends on where you are.

I came from a state where it was the law to wear a helmet, and I don't understand why it is not the law in Florida. Add to that that apparently they are increasing the speed limits - imagine legally driving 75 or 80 mph on one of the most dangerous highways in the country with no helmet or jacket! When I saw people in the Keys driving around with no helmet, no glasses even, no shirt, and no shoes, I nearly drove off the road I was so shocked. I can't believe that is legal! It also worries me what kind of judgement these people have in general, to be driving on the road at all with so little common sense or care for your body.

Much respect to you for riding thoughtfully! Enjoy the ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida