Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 07:59 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
What are the Pros and Cons of living in this area?
Unlike much of the state this part of Lake County is not seeing relentless development and high population growth. It's primarily thought of as an area for retirees as the public school quality is mostly not there which has limited growth from transplants and even with more favorable housing costs, typically seen as too far from varying job centers in Central Florida. Of the group Leesburg is probably least favorable due to crime issues and lack of desirable areas. Eustis suffers a bit as well but does have areas that are desirable and well-priced due to the city's overall perception. Tavares has been on the rise for some time with high marks for its revitalized commercial areas near downtown, it's water recreational offerings and relative safety. Mount Dora is seen as the best overall with a world-class downtown area and some nice housing options. It's also the most convenient to the Orlando metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 06:33 PM

801 posts, read 451,545 times
Eustis / Mt. Dora are practically one town, though Eustis is not so hoity-toity and touristy. I have a friend in Eustis and so I know it well. It's probably the most expensive around that area, except for Mt. Dora.
I am retired so know nothing about the schools.
Eustis/Mt Dora has a lot of shopping on 441, the main drag in the area. Target, Walmart, Dollar Tree, Lowes, Goodwill, Hobby Lobby, Aldi, Ollies, etc. all in a very short stretch of about 1-2 miles.

Tavares is just down the street from Eustis, then, going along that 441, you arrive at Leesburg.
Tavares, then next down the 441 is Leesburg.
To me Leesburg sucks for shopping except for one stretch along 441. It's very spread-out and the only big stores there are Lowes and Home Depot, then Goodwill.

I do most of my shopping in Eustis/Mt. Dora.

I live 20 minutes north of these towns. It seems that Leesburg is the least upscale of the area, and Mt Dora is the most upscale though Eustis has some upscale areas.

My friend in Eustis leaves his door unlocked all the time and there have been no breakins around his neighborhood. He's 5 minutes from the 441 and all the shopping mentioned above.

People are mostly friendly around this area.

My only problem in this region (and most of FL) is the extremely high humidity. It's horrible. July thru Sept are just awful! Stepping outside is like stepping into a wet sauna - literally!

In the summer you run the a.c. and it takes out the humidity from inside your home.
But in the winter the heater does not take it out well and so it gets up around 67-77% humidity INSIDE.
Guess I'll have to get a dehumidifer for the winter months (mostly just Dec and Jan).

Having lived in S California where it's a very dry, it's hard to live in such a humid state like FL. But I can't afford CA any more now that I'm retired.

The pluses around here are generally friendly people, low crime, and very good roads and good shopping options, at least where I live. And cheaper to buy a home than CA. Rent is quite high around here, though of course CA is higher.

The part I really don't like aside from the high humidity is the threat of hurricanes (though they generally don't do a lot of damage around this part of FL) , and the property taxes and insurance rates going up on home ownership. Kinda scary that DeSantis is in the pocket of Big Insurance. If someone doesn't defeat him in the next Governor race who will get in and work on helping us with lower insurance and taxes then it may become as expensive as CA to live here.

Old 01-01-2024, 07:29 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Eustis / Mt. Dora are practically one town, though Eustis is not so hoity-toity and touristy. I have a friend in Eustis and so I know it well. It's probably the most expensive around that area, except for Mt. Dora.
I am retired so know nothing about the schools.
Eustis/Mt Dora has a lot of shopping on 441, the main drag in the area. Target, Walmart, Dollar Tree, Lowes, Goodwill, Hobby Lobby, Aldi, Ollies, etc. all in a very short stretch of about 1-2 miles.

Tavares is just down the street from Eustis, then, going along that 441, you arrive at Leesburg.
Tavares, then next down the 441 is Leesburg.
To me Leesburg sucks for shopping except for one stretch along 441. It's very spread-out and the only big stores there are Lowes and Home Depot, then Goodwill.

I do most of my shopping in Eustis/Mt. Dora.

I live 20 minutes north of these towns. It seems that Leesburg is the least upscale of the area, and Mt Dora is the most upscale though Eustis has some upscale areas.

My friend in Eustis leaves his door unlocked all the time and there have been no breakins around his neighborhood. He's 5 minutes from the 441 and all the shopping mentioned above.

People are mostly friendly around this area.

My only problem in this region (and most of FL) is the extremely high humidity. It's horrible. July thru Sept are just awful! Stepping outside is like stepping into a wet sauna - literally!

In the summer you run the a.c. and it takes out the humidity from inside your home.
But in the winter the heater does not take it out well and so it gets up around 67-77% humidity INSIDE.
Guess I'll have to get a dehumidifer for the winter months (mostly just Dec and Jan).

Having lived in S California where it's a very dry, it's hard to live in such a humid state like FL. But I can't afford CA any more now that I'm retired.

The pluses around here are generally friendly people, low crime, and very good roads and good shopping options, at least where I live. And cheaper to buy a home than CA. Rent is quite high around here, though of course CA is higher.

The part I really don't like aside from the high humidity is the threat of hurricanes (though they generally don't do a lot of damage around this part of FL) , and the property taxes and insurance rates going up on home ownership. Kinda scary that DeSantis is in the pocket of Big Insurance. If someone doesn't defeat him in the next Governor race who will get in and work on helping us with lower insurance and taxes then it may become as expensive as CA to live here.
Try living on the gulf where i do if you want hell like weather and no rain all summer and when in a west flow my lows are 84f and dews over 82f.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida