Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times

Advertisements

They released the 911 tapes. Some of you defending this guy actually listen to them yet?

Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Are some posters here still supporting the racism charge now that we know Mr. Zimmerman is Hispanic?
Um, "Hispanic" is not a race. You can be black and be Hispanic. You can be white and be "Hispanic." You live in Florida and don't realize this.

George Zimmerman is white. Not only that but there has been some animosity regarding some groups of blacks and Hispanics. I saw a lot of it when I lived in Florida. It's typical of the newbies in the US cutting up another group of people to make them look better, or so their circular logic goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
They released the 911 tapes. Some of you defending this guy actually listen to them yet?
Do NOT listen to this if you are a mom! It's awful. This child cries before this freak kills him.

For the record, I don't think it is a racial issue. I think this guy was a nut. He was charged with violence towards an officer, before, but the charges were dropped. That in itself means nothing. But this guy was constantly calling the cops and freaking out the other people in his community. He followed people home. He harassed them. He was a bomb waiting to go off and now this child will never marry, never have children, never breathe again.

I strongly suggest that if you have kids, you don't listen to the tapes. The kid begs for his life.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:05 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Um, "Hispanic" is not a race. You can be black and be Hispanic. You can be white and be "Hispanic." You live in Florida and don't realize this.

George Zimmerman is white. Not only that but there has been some animosity regarding some groups of blacks and Hispanics. I saw a lot of it when I lived in Florida. It's typical of the newbies in the US cutting up another group of people to make them look better, or so their circular logic goes.
I am one of the first people to call out people who assume Hispanic = "not white," and that all Hispanics look like the stereotypical mestizo Mexican... but...

This is George Zimmerman:

http://newsone.com/files/2012/03/George-Zimmerman2.jpg (broken link)

He's probably "white" the way Barack Obama is also "white."

Not that it matters in the end, because whatever his race, he was gaming for the boy because the boy was black. So it was racially motivated whether he's white, Indian, mixed, Asian or black himself.

What I find fascinating about what (I believe) is a pretty cut and dry murder situation) is the changing narrative because of the fact that Zimmerman is obviously Hispanic and not some blonde, blue eyed skin head looking guy. Seems like people pick and choose who is a "minority" or "person of color"

Every other day we're treated to stories about how "non whites" (I.e., Hispanics) are increasing in numbers as percent of the population, etc.... yet in this situation, the media doesn't really know what to do. Is he a "white Hispanic"? Is it white-on-black crime? Minority on minority crime? Are they waking up that Latino does not equal minority? Or does that change depending on what narrative is being promoted?

QUite frankly, the dissonance is amazing.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I know this (being the Director for EEO and Diversity for a large firm for a few years now, one of many hats), however, the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT classifies Hispanics as a group, in which a hate crime charge can occur on the basis of the person being a Hispanic, no matter the race. Matter of fact, in EEO terms, Hispanic discrimination is classified as "national origin", no matter the race or where the person is from.

So yes, a racism charge can and does occur on the basis of the person being Hispanic, this just happened on a national news level in PA when some white teens beat to death a Hispanic teen (or maybe they were young adults).

On edit: I agree, I do not think it was a race issue as so much a profiling and stereotype issue; my opinion is it could have been any race of person walking dressed like that, or dressed in the stereotypical "gang banger" outfit, and Zimmerman would have confronted the person. By the way, not saying this is what the victim was dressed like, but we know how some people react to someone wearing a hoodie now days.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
By the way, not saying this is what the victim was dressed like, but we know how some people react to someone wearing a hoodie now days.
You mean a black person wearing a hoodie, versus a blonde hair-blue eyed high school student....and yes, he was wearing a hoodie.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You mean a black person wearing a hoodie, versus a blonde hair-blue eyed high school student....and yes, he was wearing a hoodie.
No, as in the crime trend and the "ghetto gang banger trend" in which wearing a hoodie is part of the uniform. It is my opinion that Zimmerman would have reacted the same if this was some Central American, MS13 looking member with a tattoo on his forehead, or a white guy with his pants hanging low, a basketball jersey on, and some ink on his arms.

Again, it is my opinion, as facts come out, that opinion could change. To me Zimmerman is just some A-hole A type.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:25 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,941,301 times
Why would it change how people view this just because the shooter was Hispanic? I don't know what his motivation was but yes, hispanics can be racists toward blacks...just as blacks can be racist toward whites, asians, etc. That wouldn't diminish anything from this case. I don't see how it makes a difference.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:05 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
No, as in the crime trend and the "ghetto gang banger trend" in which wearing a hoodie is part of the uniform. It is my opinion that Zimmerman would have reacted the same if this was some Central American, MS13 looking member with a tattoo on his forehead, or a white guy with his pants hanging low, a basketball jersey on, and some ink on his arms.

Again, it is my opinion, as facts come out, that opinion could change. To me Zimmerman is just some A-hole A type.
It's not a trend, it's a percentage of the sample population which doesn't mean all hoodie-wearing blacks are gang-bangers. I agree Zimmerman buys into that theory which is why we're having this conversation now.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:35 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
The news and left wing media outlets are making this out to be an old white guy who killed a kid who was doing nothing.

Turns out the guy is not white, is not old and none of us now all the facts so we might as well stop here.

The facts will come out in time.

Like why was this guy carrying a gun?

Why was the boy in this area and why did he not leave when asked to leave?

The media has hyped this as a hate crime when in fact so far the facts do not show it anything close to a hate crime.

Lets all sit back and wait until the facts come out.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
The news and left wing media outlets are making this out to be an old white guy who killed a kid who was doing nothing.

Turns out the guy is not white, is not old and none of us now all the facts so we might as well stop here.

The facts will come out in time.

Like why was this guy carrying a gun?

Why was the boy in this area and why did he not leave when asked to leave?

The media has hyped this as a hate crime when in fact so far the facts do not show it anything close to a hate crime.

Lets all sit back and wait until the facts come out.
He was walking from home to the store. A neighborhood watch person can't demand you do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida