Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 PM

84 posts, read 229,548 times

Advertisements

i just went on weather.com

as of 7:45 at night.

87 degrees. feels like 101. dewpoint 79. that's what it says on the website.

the number only says 87. let me tell you, it does feel like 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
10:12PM temp is 85, feels like 93........ there is a wall of water at my door when I go outside called a dewpoint of 74 degrees. Refreshing.....

Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems like everyone out there hates winter cold and would prefer Floridas summer heat.I`m the exception,never gave winter or summer much thought as it just is what it is but as i got older my residence in Florida became unbearable due to the never ending heat and humidity, finally in my late 20`s a golden opportunity arose and goodby Florida hello Montreal.
Now we get winter and i love it, I love bundling up in winter cloths, i love seeing my breath on a cold winter morning,i love the sound of fresh snow underfoot, snow storms and blizzards are nature in its glory,shoveling steps and car are great exercise,I love skiing,snowmobiling,hiking through the country on snowshoes,
Usually at the end of the day i love having a fire (in the fireplace eh) sitting on a comfy chair with a cat on my lap and a big cup of warm rum toddy and a good book to read then after a while retiring to a bed with many blankets topped off with a big fluffy comforter etc.
Always puzzles me as to why no one sees the beauty of winter and all it has to offer in the way of activities and beauty and would prefer the never ending monotony of Floridas heat and humidity which i usually get enough of on my annual 2-3 week vacations to see friends and family..

I love this kinda stuff,that round lump on the right is my BBQ
I like the white stuff ONLY twice a year -- the first snowfall of the season, and on Christmas Eve. I could easily do away with either. However, I can never quite picture Christmas in FL, one of the many reasons why I'll never be a full timer.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
I miss snow during the holidays. Thanksgiving and Christmas. Other than than.. nope. I do not miss using remote start for 20 minutes before climbing into my car (which is still cold) to head to work. I do not miss scraping my windshield or shoveling.

I do not like mowing my yard and being a stinky mess when done. However, I do not have to mow my yard for 3 months out of the year during winter.

I do love that I can look forward to winter because I can go out and go on bike rides with the kids, go to amusement parks which are not packed.

It's all give and take.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I miss snow during the holidays. Thanksgiving and Christmas. Other than than.. nope. I do not miss using remote start for 20 minutes before climbing into my car (which is still cold) to head to work. I do not miss scraping my windshield or shoveling.

I do not like mowing my yard and being a stinky mess when done. However, I do not have to mow my yard for 3 months out of the year during winter.

I do love that I can look forward to winter because I can go out and go on bike rides with the kids, go to amusement parks which are not packed.

It's all give and take.
Remote starter! people who need one of those just arent dressing properly for winter which i suspect is a major reason for them being cold then saying how bad winter is then moving to Florida with every one else.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:22 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Remote starter! people who need one of those just arent dressing properly for winter which i suspect is a major reason for them being cold then saying how bad winter is then moving to Florida with every one else.
Putting on 5-6 layers, having trouble getting change out of your pocket for the bus because you have gloves on, getting to work with the bottom of your pants soaked from the snow and feeling like your nose is going to fall off from the cold are some of the reasons I say how bad winter was and why I moved to Florida.

You make a silly assumption that people that use remote starters or just don't like the cold can't dress properly. Should I say that people that use remote starters down here don't know how to hydrate properly? Yes there are things you can do to make the warm weather not affect you as much like wearing a wide brim hat to keep the sun off your face, different materials are also more cooling like loose fitting light weight cotton shirts, in addition to keeping properly hydrated.

I understand that some people do not like the warm weather and what I mentioned would not be enough for them just like layering up was not enough to keep me warm up north.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 AM

Never thought of remote starters in Florida but i guess if you want your car nice and cool as you make the dash from your air conditioned house or air conditioned place of work it makes perfect sense.
As for those who find dressing properly for winter a burden and look at wearing layers of clothing as an inconvenience you'll just never acclimatize yourself to winter so moving to Florida would have to be your only option,which has some positive aspects in those that move south get to avoid their dreaded winters and for those of us up north its one less car and one more job.win win i'd say..

Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Putting on 5-6 layers, having trouble getting change out of your pocket for the bus because you have gloves on, getting to work with the bottom of your pants soaked from the snow and feeling like your nose is going to fall off from the cold are some of the reasons I say how bad winter was and why I moved to Florida.

You make a silly assumption that people that use remote starters or just don't like the cold can't dress properly. Should I say that people that use remote starters down here don't know how to hydrate properly? Yes there are things you can do to make the warm weather not affect you as much like wearing a wide brim hat to keep the sun off your face, different materials are also more cooling like loose fitting light weight cotton shirts, in addition to keeping properly hydrated.

I understand that some people do not like the warm weather and what I mentioned would not be enough for them just like layering up was not enough to keep me warm up north.
5-6 layers???? Where did you live? Up where the ice road truckers are? I wear a long sleeve shirt, and an insulated flannel jacket, jeans, and I bought a set of waterproof mildly insulated Columbia hikers. I guess some can handle it better. It's like here, there is nothing I can do to feel cooler out there, and wearing a speedo to work to stay cool is out of the question!!!!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
I like the white stuff ONLY twice a year -- the first snowfall of the season, and on Christmas Eve. I could easily do away with either. However, I can never quite picture Christmas in FL, one of the many reasons why I'll never be a full timer.
I feel the same. I want snow for Thanksgiving, up until December 26th, after that not so much. It's the cold I am looking forward to, not -10, but 20's and 30's. I'll get up there in October when it is in the low 60's welcomed relief for me.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I wear a long sleeve shirt, and an insulated flannel jacket, jeans, and I bought a set of waterproof mildly insulated Columbia hikers. I guess some can handle it better. It's like here, there is nothing I can do to feel cooler out there, and wearing a speedo to work to stay cool is out of the question!!!!
Chris that sounds a bit light even for some one who likes the cold,thats more like late fall early spring garb.
My usual outside winter attire (Dec-Through March) in temps getting below 15-20F
Thermal T shirt and long underwear.
Heavy cotton shirt (Like the lumberjacks wear) and sometimes a heavy sweater.
Jeans.
Heavy woolen socks.
Hoody plus suitable winter coat.
Tuque,
Insulated construction boots or if we've had a major snowfall SkiDoo boots.
Seldom wear gloves as i usually keep hands in pockets but if gloves are needed i wear mitts instead of regular gloves.

Skiing anyone?
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Snowstorm.jpg

Last edited by jambo101; 08-04-2011 at 05:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida