Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:01 PM

357 posts, read 800,068 times

Advertisements

The key to all this that factors in the humidity and the actual temperature is the dew point. Once the dew point gets above a certain point (73 or 74?) sweat will simply not evaporate off your skin and your body will lose its natural cooling ability, making it dangerous if you are outside in those conditions for an extended time. Also, when the dew point reaches 75, the air you are breathing in contains something along the lines of 3% water vapor. Thus why people complain about the air feeling thick and very uncomfortable to breath -- they do not have some kind of health problem, they are breathing in water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 12:57 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Someone here asked me why would I move to Florida in July because they said it would be so hot you wont be able to stand it.

Well, its now August and we survived the month of July with ease.

We went to our first auction tonight and it was warm loading all the goodies we bought at the auction but it was not heat stroke by any means.

Fact is, it is much hotter and humid at the same time period in Ohio as I can attest to going to many July and August auctions and could not get my breathe because it was so humid.

Here in Florida I have not ran into that problem.

Will let you know how August goes but after August we will be in the clear and no one can whine about the extreme so called heat that you cannot breathe anymore.

A dip in the pool, the ocean, some nice sunglasses, tank tops and flip flops do the trick. So far, not one day of what we were told to expect.

After 32 straight days last winter of below freezing temps with snow and ice not melting makes one crave to be warm. I can always cool down but I can never stop the chills off my bones.

Come on down, the spa is overflowing into the pool and it feels great to be under the water fall sipping an ice cold tea.

In Ohio this time next month we started shutting down the pool, this year will be swimming with Santa.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Seems like everyone out there hates winter cold and would prefer Floridas summer heat.I`m the exception,never gave winter or summer much thought as it just is what it is but as i got older my residence in Florida became unbearable due to the never ending heat and humidity, finally in my late 20`s a golden opportunity arose and goodby Florida hello Montreal.
Now we get winter and i love it, I love bundling up in winter cloths, i love seeing my breath on a cold winter morning,i love the sound of fresh snow underfoot, snow storms and blizzards are nature in its glory,shoveling steps and car are great exercise,I love skiing,snowmobiling,hiking through the country on snowshoes,
Usually at the end of the day i love having a fire (in the fireplace eh) sitting on a comfy chair with a cat on my lap and a big cup of warm rum toddy and a good book to read then after a while retiring to a bed with many blankets topped off with a big fluffy comforter etc.
Always puzzles me as to why no one sees the beauty of winter and all it has to offer in the way of activities and beauty and would prefer the never ending monotony of Floridas heat and humidity which i usually get enough of on my annual 2-3 week vacations to see friends and family..

I love this kinda stuff,that round lump on the right is my BBQ

Last edited by jambo101; 08-02-2011 at 01:16 AM..

Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 AM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaboy View Post
I'm sick of all the bull from people living in Florida exaggerating ten-fold how hot it is, and I'm sick of people visiting Florida claiming the weather is perfect. Both are lies.
Well, I've been to Orlando, mostly during the Summer months, and let me tell you; it felt like the surface of the Sun!

Just walk outside and bam! Sauna + surface of the Sun = not good!

And the sad part? It's not an exaggeration.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 AM

115 posts, read 231,805 times
How about 6-7 months never breaking 28F as a high and routinely falling below zero with blizzards? No, I think I will take the heat, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76 View Post
Its hotter and more humid here than it is there now. In terms of those averages, weve been near records the past two years.

But the averages are close anyways.

Yes, youlive in paradise compared to where I live. We have higher temps in the summer and severe winters. Id take heat any day over the winter.

I do know florida is tough to make it in though. Its one of the states you need to move away from, get experience, then move back so you can land a decent job. Perhaps that is why some are bitter.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:23 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Well, I've been to Orlando, mostly during the Summer months, and let me tell you; it felt like the surface of the Sun!

Just walk outside and bam! Sauna + surface of the Sun = not good!

And the sad part? It's not an exaggeration.
exaggerate-[ig-zaj-uh-reyt] verb: to magnify beyond the limits of truth; overstate; represent disproportionately

11,000 degrees compared to 90 degrees, seems like that would be an exaggeration.

Just saying.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:25 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
To answer the OP, "How hot is it REALLY in Florida?"

Not that hot.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:33 AM

437 posts, read 816,110 times
I totally agree. I freakin hate the hot humid days and so far this summer I may as well be living in Florida. I don't recall a summer as horrible as this one has been.

I can't wiat for snow so I can go snowshoeing and not feel like a sweaty old pig down on the farm...

Come on winter!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems like everyone out there hates winter cold and would prefer Floridas summer heat.I`m the exception,never gave winter or summer much thought as it just is what it is but as i got older my residence in Florida became unbearable due to the never ending heat and humidity, finally in my late 20`s a golden opportunity arose and goodby Florida hello Montreal.
Now we get winter and i love it, I love bundling up in winter cloths, i love seeing my breath on a cold winter morning,i love the sound of fresh snow underfoot, snow storms and blizzards are nature in its glory,shoveling steps and car are great exercise,I love skiing,snowmobiling,hiking through the country on snowshoes,
Usually at the end of the day i love having a fire (in the fireplace eh) sitting on a comfy chair with a cat on my lap and a big cup of warm rum toddy and a good book to read then after a while retiring to a bed with many blankets topped off with a big fluffy comforter etc.
Always puzzles me as to why no one sees the beauty of winter and all it has to offer in the way of activities and beauty and would prefer the never ending monotony of Floridas heat and humidity which i usually get enough of on my annual 2-3 week vacations to see friends and family..

I love this kinda stuff,that round lump on the right is my BBQ

Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post

Not that hot.
Mike you should quantify that "not that hot" with an IMO as not that hot to you may be too hot for others,Only viable option for any one thinking of moving to Fla is before you go to all the expense and trouble of relocating to Fla it would be in your best interest to make an exploratory excursion to see what you think as us members familiar with Florida can only give our own personal take on the question, as an example Mike thinks its not too hot and i find it unbearable,

Old 08-02-2011, 05:15 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post

Not that hot.
For you..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida