Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM

337 posts, read 1,432,493 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have trouble understanding the Asian nail techs? I've been looking all over for one where English is the spoken language....I've almost decided it can't be done. Please, PLEASE do not think this is a rant on the Asian culture. It's just that if there is a language barrier, and we cannot understand each other without difficulty, why would I have confidence that you will really understand what it is that I want done? Just yesterday I walked into a nail salon (Asian run) and asked if they had a pamplet I could take with me that described the services they offered and their prices. They totally did not understand me....I did not understand them. I tried to motion toward their menu board to get across what I was after. After seemingly acknowledging what it was I was after, she turned around and handed me her business card! <sigh> I've played out this same scenario in many nail salons and I just want to have confidence that I will be understood and get exactly what I ask for in the way of services. Just wondering if I'm a jerk, or does anyone else have the same issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:58 PM

30,372 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Sorry, but that's the norm in most places... as with cab drivers in NYC, you just assume they aren't going to speak English (as their first language). Nearly all of the nail salons I frequent here are Asian-run, but most do speak enough English to get by. How many have you tried so far? Because while the majority are speaking Vietnamese/Chinese/etc. to each other, they almost always understand English - maybe they were just pretending?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 PM

LOL...Could be, I suppose, but at the cost of losing a customer?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:18 PM

Remember that old Seinfeld episode, where Elaine brought George's dad to translate (from Vietnamese)? Turned out they were calling her "stupid white girl" rather than Princess as they told her... Sorry, couldn't help thinking of that! Anyway, I do think you should keep looking, since I think it's unusual for them to not speak ANY English. And for the record, no it doesn't bother me either way... I only get basic polish manicures, so all I have to do is point at the color.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:58 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,277,733 times
Are you a fast talker or a mumbler or have an accent?

That will throw anyone who's second language is english.
I know what you are talking about but I never really have had an issue.
I speak to anyone thats obviously new to english in "tv voice"
They seem to understand me better.

Also focusing on key words instead of an entire sentence because english structure is so different from others. Its kinda flip flopped.

I keep my sentences short and simple. Descriptions one worded.

Funny italian to english confusion....
A lady ordered a drink from a coffeebar I worked at.
She was from italy. She said "two shot latte, no glass inside"
I looked at her with a face of : what are you talking about?! and said "We dont put glass in our drinks generally"
And then we both laughed as she said "Ice! Ice!..I mean ice!"
LOL

I thought it was pretty funny.

Also a little asian girl trying to tell me a drink was toosweet comes out:
"too sugar much"
Which I said
"too sweet"
And she said "yes! yes! that one! that one!"

I think language barriers are made to be broken not avoided.
Its just fun.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Remember that old Seinfeld episode, where Elaine brought George's dad to translate (from Vietnamese)? Turned out they were calling her "stupid white girl" rather than Princess as they told her... Sorry, couldn't help thinking of that! Anyway, I do think you should keep looking, since I think it's unusual for them to not speak ANY English. And for the record, no it doesn't bother me either way... I only get basic polish manicures, so all I have to do is point at the color.
OMG...Sooo funny! When I had relayed my above story to my husband, that's the first thing he thought of too! The Seinfeld episode about Elaine at the nail salon! LOL

Thanks for the perspective Pitt....I'll keep that in mind as I keep searching!

Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,104,057 times
This is just my experience, but most of the nail salons like you describe are the cheaper ones. I don't mean that in a mean way, that is the type I go to as well. You might have to try a few different girls until you find one that speaks English a little better. If you really want English speaking nail techs, from a place that has the money to print up brochures, you're probably going to have to get your nails done at a full service salon. Be prepared to pay significantly more.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
This is just my experience, but most of the nail salons like you describe are the cheaper ones. I don't mean that in a mean way, that is the type I go to as well. You might have to try a few different girls until you find one that speaks English a little better. If you really want English speaking nail techs, from a place that has the money to print up brochures, you're probably going to have to get your nails done at a full service salon. Be prepared to pay significantly more.
In my experiences too, you are absolutely right. The "high end" salons and day spas usually have English speakers, but will charge you $20 (and up) for a simple manicure... my local Asian-run place charges $12 for a mani/pedi, so I'll deal with language barriers for that.

Oh, and I agree that it's fun to communicate with non-English speakers, rather than annoying. I've traveled all over the world, and have been on the other side of the fence many times... it is frustrating when people get rude or impatient.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,005,856 times
I just do my own nails! No language barrier that way!

Old 09-13-2008, 04:12 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,174,043 times
LOL-me too!! I got a fungus from going to those places!! And I find it incredibly rude that anyone living in a country can't or won't learn the language of that country. Especially business owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I just do my own nails! No language barrier that way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty