Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 09:39 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

While plus-sized women have fought the battle and, in many cases, won in their ongoing battle to find size appropriate clothing that's fashionable and even age appropriate...not so with men who are mostly left with a couple of retail chains featuring poorly made clothing and limited options in terms of style or even size availability.

Men in general apparently aren't being seen as clothing consumers as the Mens section of varying retailers (department stores, discount stores and mall specialty stores) carrying both genders have been largely relegated to a corner of the store with very limited options.

What's with the weirdly inaccurate premise that men don't buy clothes regularly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 11:15 AM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
My husband, an ex-jock who is big and tall, buys fashionable clothing.

Yes, a 38" sleeve is hard to find, but NOT impossible.

We have a harder time finding clothes for me than for him!

Old 04-07-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My husband, an ex-jock who is big and tall, buys fashionable clothing.

Yes, a 38" sleeve is hard to find, but NOT impossible.

We have a harder time finding clothes for me than for him!
He must be height-weight proportionate, sounds like it anyway. Otherwise not so much if a plus-size man.

Old 04-07-2024, 11:36 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
There are a lot of options for big and tall men, assuming you mean XXL and above? Sure you may need the pants hemmed or something. But my husband is neither big, nor tall, and he had to have the last suit he had altered.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-07-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There are a lot of options for big and tall men, assuming you mean XXL and above? Sure you may need the pants hemmed or something. But my husband is neither big, nor tall, and he had to have the last suit he had altered.
No, there's not.

I don't wear suits and live in casual clothing like jeans and khakis with button down shirts (not of the dress variety, patterned and plaids for instance) and shorts in summer with button-down short sleeve shorts and polos. Beyond the XXL stores with very apparent off-brands or sometimes luck in a major department store there is very little available and certainly not fashionable for someone not into "urban fashion".

Old 04-07-2024, 12:07 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No, there's not.

I don't wear suits and live in casual clothing like jeans and khakis with button down shirts (not of the dress variety, patterned and plaids for instance) and shorts in summer with button-down short sleeve shorts and polos. Beyond the XXL stores with very apparent off-brands or sometimes luck in a major department store there is very little available and certainly not fashionable for someone not into "urban fashion".
Ok. My late husband was XXL / XXL and he had no trouble finding clothes. He liked cargo pants, plaid flannels, Big Dog shorts and Ts.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-07-2024, 12:42 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
DXL has an online webstore and brick-and-mortar stores throughout the country, but there are places where they don't have local stores. Their Oakhill Premium brand is good quality. DXL also carries good quality name brands, but they do tend to be pricier.

Men's Wearhouse also carries larger men's sizes, it's a good second choice.

Kingsize.com - tried it, found it to be low quality.

There's always bespoke clothing. Find a local tailor who's good, get your shirts/pants/suits/coats from them. Top dollar but a perfect fit.

If you're in a major metro that has either a professional football or basketball team, those guys are getting their clothes locally (or at least used to). If you can, find out if they shop locally, and if so, where.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok. My late husband was XXL / XXL and he had no trouble finding clothes. He liked cargo pants, plaid flannels, Big Dog shorts and Ts.
I'm happy for him but you're missing the point.

The issue I describe is I cannot go to a mall specialty store like The Gap/Old Navy, Banana Republic, LLBean, Columbia, H&M, American Eagle, Zara, Lucky Brand, Club Monaco or Eddie Bauer (to name several) and the same goes for better department stores like Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdale's and Dillard's or for that matter discounters everyone else can shop in like Marshall's, TJMaxx or Ross.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
DXL has an online webstore and brick-and-mortar stores throughout the country, but there are places where they don't have local stores. Their Oakhill Premium brand is good quality. DXL also carries good quality name brands, but they do tend to be pricier.

Men's Wearhouse also carries larger men's sizes, it's a good second choice.

Kingsize.com - tried it, found it to be low quality.

There's always bespoke clothing. Find a local tailor who's good, get your shirts/pants/suits/coats from them. Top dollar but a perfect fit.

If you're in a major metro that has either a professional football or basketball team, those guys are getting their clothes locally (or at least used to). If you can, find out if they shop locally, and if so, where.
Everything you're describing is exactly what I was referring to.

Poorly made, obviously XXL brands, business wear or "urban" fashion that entails baggy sports team references.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:01 PM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm happy for him but you're missing the point.

The issue I describe is I cannot go to a mall specialty store like The Gap/Old Navy, Banana Republic, LLBean, Columbia, H&M, American Eagle, Zara, Lucky Brand, Club Monaco or Eddie Bauer (to name several) and the same goes for better department stores like Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdale's and Dillard's or for that matter discounters everyone else can shop in like Marshall's, TJMaxx or Ross.
And I can't shop at Ann Taylor, or Talbot, or a myriad of stores either. Not all stores cater to all shapes and sizes.

I picked a few of yours, and looked at mens clothing...
Old Navy carries up to 4XL
The Gap 3XL
LL Bean 3XL
Eddie Bauer 3XL

What sizes are you looking for?

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 04-07-2024 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty