Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 02:16 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm happy for him but you're missing the point.

The issue I describe is I cannot go to a mall specialty store like The Gap/Old Navy, Banana Republic, LLBean, Columbia, H&M, American Eagle, Zara, Lucky Brand, Club Monaco or Eddie Bauer (to name several) and the same goes for better department stores like Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdale's and Dillard's or for that matter discounters everyone else can shop in like Marshall's, TJMaxx or Ross.
Eddie Bauer makes XXL, so does Old Navy. Maybe not a lot on the racks, and you may need to order online.

It's like my Mom, she has very long legs and not much in the stores are long enough, so she orders online.

It can be frustrating when you are outside of the most common size range (short, overweight, underweight, etc.) but with the internet, it made things so much easier. There are quite a few stores dedicated to big and tall.

As much as women? Probably not, men do not buy as many clothes as women overall.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 02:23 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
It seems like stores like Ross and TJ Maxx overstock sizes Small and Medium, even though most American men aren't those sizes. I think some of these stores just want to target the younger audience. What happened to sustainability? We have to reduce waste in the textile industry, and mass producing and hoarding those smaller sizes is not the way.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:26 PM

22,559 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
It seems like stores like Ross and TJ Maxx overstock sizes Small and Medium, even though most American men aren't those sizes.
Those discount stores have those small sizes, because that is what is leftover from the regular stores. The "American men" buy the large and above.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:36 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And I can't shop at Ann Taylor, or Talbot, or a myriad of stores either. Not all stores cater to all shapes and sizes.

I picked a few of yours, and looked...
Old Navy carries up to 4XL
The Gap 3XL
LL Bean 3XL
Eddie Bauer 3XL

What sizes are you looking for?
I wear 3XL and those options are online only and usually sold out.

Women have more in-store options and I don't buy online because 8 out of 10 times it doesn't fit properly or doesn't fulfill the online description or photo. There aren't Mens version for Womens plus sizes in brick and mortar stores like Lane Bryant, JCrew, Madewell, Charlotte Russe, Chico's, Charming Charlie or Ashley Stewart as just a few examples.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Those discount stores have those small sizes, because that is what is leftover from the regular stores. The "American men" buy the large and above.
In my experience that is generally not the case. Much of the merchandise is actually made specifically for these stores, with many of the brands not being sold anywhere else. Unsold/past season brand name merchandise from other retailers rarely makes it to their shelves.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:53 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
In my experience that is generally not the case. Much of the merchandise is actually made specifically for these stores, with many of the brands not being sold anywhere else. Unsold/past season brand name merchandise from other retailers rarely makes it to their shelves.
That is correct and why the "outlet centers" are very rarely the deals they're made out to be as the merchandise is almost always specifically made for sale in those stores only.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:06 PM

22,559 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
I was told that by a national purchasing agent for a big and tall store, and by a higher up at a major department store.
Nowadays, stores need to buy in lots, that including varying amounts of all available sizes.
The more popular sizes sell out, and the rest get sent to a reseller such as TJ Maxx and Ross.

They know what they are doing.

ETA: Yes, "outlet" store are different.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:15 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
OP can’t find 3xl at Walmart? Or Amazon?

Old 04-07-2024, 04:01 PM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

There's always bespoke clothing. Find a local tailor who's good, get your shirts/pants/suits/coats from them. Top dollar but a perfect fit.
Thats what I did for my son's wedding. I'm around six foot five with a thirty-six inch waist, fifty inch chest. Same as when I was I high school. (How many here can honestly say that?) I went to a "King Size" store locally and didn't get three steps in before one of the oversized salesmen waved me off saying; "We don't have anything that'll fit you!" Nothing off the rack fits. So, I went and bought a hand-made suit. I looked like a million bucks. I impressed the heck out of my Mrs. cost? Upwards of $1,000 bucks and well worth it. Shot a game of pool and drank some McAllen scotch while I was there too. I'm going back for a couple of shirts!

Old 04-07-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I was told that by a national purchasing agent for a big and tall store, and by a higher up at a major department store.
Nowadays, stores need to buy in lots, that including varying amounts of all available sizes.
The more popular sizes sell out, and the rest get sent to a reseller such as TJ Maxx and Ross.

They know what they are doing.

ETA: Yes, "outlet" store are different.
Sorry, but I would have to disagree here. About 90% of the merchandise at Ross and TJ Maxx I never seen elsewhere. Most of the brands sold there are white label brands made for those stores. Even the brand name products are often made specifically for those stores and have never been sold in a department store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty