Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 10:59 AM

24,652 posts, read 11,001,272 times

Advertisements

I pass. It looks weird. It is entertaining to watch women start digging around between their breasts and shuffling the thing around to get at its contents. Credit card, car key, chapstick, phone - fits in a pocket. There used to be sneakers with little pockets which were great. Otherwise - a small purse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 12:04 PM

6,054 posts, read 3,777,737 times
This thread reminds me of the joke about the lady who was telling her girlfriend about having her money stolen out of her pants pocket by a very handsome man while she was riding the subway to work. When her friend asked her "But didn't you feel his hand going into your pocket", she replied, "Yes, but I didn't know that he was after my money."

Old 04-02-2024, 01:59 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,549,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I pass. It looks weird. It is entertaining to watch women start digging around between their breasts and shuffling the thing around to get at its contents. Credit card, car key, chapstick, phone - fits in a pocket. There used to be sneakers with little pockets which were great. Otherwise - a small purse.
Mine rests across my chest. There's no digging around between my breasts.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:31 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I certainly am not "tethered to my phone" (those who are will have it in their hands at all times, making them easier to snatch), but when wandering around the city, I do need my flip phone for emergencies, car keys, and a credit card and/or cash. Pockets will do if I have them, but I don't always.

In fact, I was recently looking for a fanny pack at Goodwill for an upcoming trip and couldn't find any. Now I know...they've been converted to boob bags!
There's been no conversion. Waist packs are waist packs. They were and still are very useful, and are very popular with hikers/walkers/runners. Bags/packs worn across the chest are usually for security, for travel. You can even get them with uncuttable straps. One of the best brands - Travelon - have been around forever.

https://www.travelonbags.com/shop/an...t-best-sellers

Clearly everyone has different needs and therefore there are a slew of options for carrying your stuff.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:33 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Mine rests across my chest. There's no digging around between my breasts.
Seriously! What a silly and clearly made-up description.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:41 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,018,956 times
Two things...

When I went to school at 18 & a wallet or purse couldn't safely be left anywhere & needed to be locked in the downstairs lockers, I used to wear a cross body, flat, leather, envelope pouch (smaller than the size of a current Smart phone) that had a very long, thin strap & hid quite nicely underneath my lab coat. The long string left the envelope pouch sitting at hip length.

If anything, you might see the thin leather "string" across my torso, but no one ever mentioned it. I loved it & it was convenient in that if I wanted a coffee around the corner for a quick 15-min break, I didn't need to descend the caverns of the bldg & go into the locker room crawling with roaches to reach my purse. I avoided the downstairs all together due to said critters & only carried money, my ID & a house key in my little flat pouch.

In fact, I tossed it after school & to this day, wish I hadn't. I've never seen anything like it again... I've thought of buying a cheap leather jacket at the Goodwill & cutting out a few squares to make one, but I've just never gotten around to it.

Second, when I moved to Tampa a couple of years ago, I would run a couple of miles daily... it was too hot to run further & the fitness center was closed during Covid. I used to just tuck my ID in 1 sock & my house key in the other so I didn't need to carry anything, until the day a car chased me, filled with 2-3 guys... they were very persistent & tried to drag me into the car multiple times, then run me over when they realized this little Irish girl wasn't the type to give up... wrong girl, monsters.

I stopped running for a week, then just switched times to when 1-2 others would walk/run.

I began wearing one of those washable fanny packs... purple, long strap to be worn at the waist or cross body. I sent a pic of what I carried in it to a friend in NYC & he called it my Viking attack pack... pepper spray, keys, stun gun, alarm (small keychain item where you pull out the pin to make an earsplitting screech), car key (in case I could reach my car faster than my apt if someone were chasing me), cell phone to record any encounters, a metal paint can lid remover (in case I needed to stab away at an attacker) & a few other things. That bloody thing weighed at least 5-lbs but I wanted to be loaded up in case I dropped it & could only grab 1 item, if needed.

I'm newly back in FL, in Panama City. It's smaller & safer here, but still, I have no fitness center & when I find a place to walk/run, I'll put on my fanny pack, load it up with 5-lbs of weaponry & head out. I'd never go out alone again on a walking trail or street without my fanny pack filled with protective gear. I also keep a similar cache of gear in my car, including a billy club under the console. The way of the world.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:27 AM

18,543 posts, read 18,794,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Two things...

When I went to school at 18 & a wallet or purse couldn't safely be left anywhere & needed to be locked in the downstairs lockers, I used to wear a cross body, flat, leather, envelope pouch (smaller than the size of a current Smart phone) that had a very long, thin strap & hid quite nicely underneath my lab coat. The long string left the envelope pouch sitting at hip length.

If anything, you might see the thin leather "string" across my torso, but no one ever mentioned it. I loved it & it was convenient in that if I wanted a coffee around the corner for a quick 15-min break, I didn't need to descend the caverns of the bldg & go into the locker room crawling with roaches to reach my purse. I avoided the downstairs all together due to said critters & only carried money, my ID & a house key in my little flat pouch.

In fact, I tossed it after school & to this day, wish I hadn't. I've never seen anything like it again... I've thought of buying a cheap leather jacket at the Goodwill & cutting out a few squares to make one, but I've just never gotten around to it.

Second, when I moved to Tampa a couple of years ago, I would run a couple of miles daily... it was too hot to run further & the fitness center was closed during Covid. I used to just tuck my ID in 1 sock & my house key in the other so I didn't need to carry anything, until the day a car chased me, filled with 2-3 guys... they were very persistent & tried to drag me into the car multiple times, then run me over when they realized this little Irish girl wasn't the type to give up... wrong girl, monsters.

I stopped running for a week, then just switched times to when 1-2 others would walk/run.

I began wearing one of those washable fanny packs... purple, long strap to be worn at the waist or cross body. I sent a pic of what I carried in it to a friend in NYC & he called it my Viking attack pack... pepper spray, keys, stun gun, alarm (small keychain item where you pull out the pin to make an earsplitting screech), car key (in case I could reach my car faster than my apt if someone were chasing me), cell phone to record any encounters, a metal paint can lid remover (in case I needed to stab away at an attacker) & a few other things. That bloody thing weighed at least 5-lbs but I wanted to be loaded up in case I dropped it & could only grab 1 item, if needed.

I'm newly back in FL, in Panama City. It's smaller & safer here, but still, I have no fitness center & when I find a place to walk/run, I'll put on my fanny pack, load it up with 5-lbs of weaponry & head out. I'd never go out alone again on a walking trail or street without my fanny pack filled with protective gear. I also keep a similar cache of gear in my car, including a billy club under the console. The way of the world.
OH a washable one.. sorry had to laugh there. as it seemed so funny as we never use that name for a bag...and I would never wear one either...

Old 04-03-2024, 07:20 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Two things...

In fact, I tossed it after school & to this day, wish I hadn't. I've never seen anything like it again...
They do make smart-phone wallets on a string, and also, basic envelope wallets just like you describe. For the latter in a choice of colors (this company is always adding new colors):

Portlandleathergoods.com/

For smart phone bags, try anyone: Kate Spade and other designers, also: Osgoodemarley.com/
They typically have a zipper section for change and interior pockets for credit card, etc., all in a thin, phone-sized leather carrier with long strap. Some companies make them out of decorative fabrics.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:34 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
This thread reminds me of the joke about the lady who was telling her girlfriend about having her money stolen out of her pants pocket by a very handsome man while she was riding the subway to work. When her friend asked her "But didn't you feel his hand going into your pocket", she replied, "Yes, but I didn't know that he was after my money."

This sounds like a joke made up by a man. This wouldn't be at all funny to women. Inconceivable, actually.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:11 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,010,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This sounds like a joke made up by a man. This wouldn't be at all funny to women. Inconceivable, actually.
I laughed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty