Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 07:01 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times

Advertisements

Never was a fan of the "baggy" or boxy look-- if I wanted to look like I was wearing too-big clothes, I'd go back to being a skinny kid in hand-me-downs. Also, I don't go to the gym so I can wear muu-muu-like clothing that makes me look chubby (and I'm not one of those people who could flap around in tent-like clothes and still look fit). I prefer my clothes to be well-fitting so they look like they were actually bought for me and bought in the correct size. In stores, looking at "XS" tops and dresses that I and a friend could both wear at the same time isn't my thing (then again, next trend I guess we'll get back into the 2000s with "XL" tops I could only have comfortably worn at age 10).

I got out my wide-leg jeans today-- the ones that look rather 90s-tastic-- but as cute as they are, they make my legs look short and chunky. I think one has to have a really tall, long-legged, willowy build to pull those off well. I'm thin but don't look proportionally tall so baggy clothing always makes me look a lot more stumpy than I am. I also think baggy or wide-leg pants mostly work well if they're well-fitted through the waist and hips and only the legs are wide/flowy; the baggy-butt look doesn't work well/look nice for many people, either male or female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM

7,034 posts, read 4,816,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
It's all about comfort and we are fatter than ever.
Speak for yourself, lol.

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Never was a fan of the "baggy" or boxy look-- if I wanted to look like I was wearing too-big clothes, I'd go back to being a skinny kid in hand-me-downs. Also, I don't go to the gym so I can wear muu-muu-like clothing that makes me look chubby (and I'm not one of those people who could flap around in tent-like clothes and still look fit). I prefer my clothes to be well-fitting so they look like they were actually bought for me and bought in the correct size. In stores, looking at "XS" tops and dresses that I and a friend could both wear at the same time isn't my thing (then again, next trend I guess we'll get back into the 2000s with "XL" tops I could only have comfortably worn at age 10).

I got out my wide-leg jeans today-- the ones that look rather 90s-tastic-- but as cute as they are, they make my legs look short and chunky. I think one has to have a really tall, long-legged, willowy build to pull those off well. I'm thin but don't look proportionally tall so baggy clothing always makes me look a lot more stumpy than I am. I also think baggy or wide-leg pants mostly work well if they're well-fitted through the waist and hips and only the legs are wide/flowy; the baggy-butt look doesn't work well/look nice for many people, either male or female.
I think it’s true. Baggy works better on tall and thin, rather than short and wide. It kind of depends upon the proportions of the outfit. Baggy tops on skinny pants and snug tops on wide pants.

Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

1,428 posts, read 664,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Speak for yourself, lol.
Ha ha! I am one of those lucky people with a high metabolism but I see the kids walking to school these days and the fat kids outnumber the normal weight kids.
I do live in a fat state but it hasn't always been this fat.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think it’s true. Baggy works better on tall and thin, rather than short and wide. It kind of depends upon the proportions of the outfit. Baggy tops on skinny pants and snug tops on wide pants.
Yes. Back in the 90s I did sort of think the "wide leg pants, well-fitted top" look was cute.

Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
I have always worn "roomy" clothes. Given my body shape, that's a requirement. If I was to wear skinny jeans, I would be arrested for making people physically ill as I walk by. I do not like clothes that are clingy, and remove all of the labels and such from shirts as they cause itching.

The only fashion trend I've ever followed is not shaving every day, because shaving is annoying.

Old Today, 04:37 AM

630 posts, read 296,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
I notice in New York that guys and girls are wearing baggy pants and long baggy sweatshirts or long baggy t-shirts but in Los Angeles it is the skin tight skinny look no one in LA wears baggy clothing not even the street gangs.

I hear that fashion trends start in New York and trickle to LA a year or two later. I’m wondering what other cities you notice doing the opposite. I hear the west coast cities are like different country as even the 90s and 2000s the baggy look was not think there other than the Bay Area but LA never was into it even at that time.
Sounds like pure ignorance.

The West Coast is the brain of the country. West coast invented blue jeans and all of the technology that you use in ny. LA does not even think about ny when they dress or do anything whatsoever. Out of sight. Out of mind. It's the opposite. The NY Times has a whole section dedicated to following California. Soon as we export something like an Apple store, Tesla, or In N Out, nyc is all over it. Know this: CA started the whole skinny style in the mid 90s--when ny was wearing Enyce--but kept some of the baggy look throughout the years. It's nothing new. CA is larger/better than ny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty