Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 08:16 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
We were discussing Lisa LaFlamme and her on-trend hair color. Then you brought up how unattractive glasses are on women with natural grey hair. I don't agree. I think they can look phenomenal.
Right-- we were discussing Lisa LaFlamme, at which point someone said "isn't gray hair trendy?" in not understanding why gray hair would get her fired, and I pointed out that it was only considered trendy if one was young and didn't have gray hair naturally, and used another example, of glasses being considered trendy unless one actually needs them. Apparently the sarcasm went right out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 03:46 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,152,851 times
In my current occupation it's common for men and women to dye their hair.

Given the lack of high paying jobs lately, any small personal improvement to get a favorable edge at work is a good move......

Old 03-16-2023, 05:32 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
In my current occupation it's common for men and women to dye their hair.

Given the lack of high paying jobs lately, any small personal improvement to get a favorable edge at work is a good move......
Sad that it's considered an "improvement," but it's hard to deny that it is.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:14 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I keep telling my wife to "go hippie" an d stop coloring her hair. But she insists on getting it dyed!
I finally went gray after years of my husband encouraging me to do so. I've never had so many compliments on my hair. It goes much better with my coloring than my faux color ever did.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:47 AM

5,010 posts, read 592,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I finally went gray after years of my husband encouraging me to do so. I've never had so many compliments on my hair. It goes much better with my coloring than my faux color ever did.
I'm betting you look great!.... gray creates a softening/brightening effect to the complexion, which is really flattering, especially compared to the harsher effect created by dyed hair.

Old 03-20-2023, 03:09 PM

I think the thing to do is to dye it until you're totally white, then cut it off and start over. I don't know too many who look good during the transition; "salt-and-pepper" isn't flattering on very many, and certainly not on me. Quite a few brunettes I know go (suddenly) blonde until the transformation is complete. It's too hard to keep up with that quickly reappearing "skunk line."

Old 03-20-2023, 03:58 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think the thing to do is to dye it until you're totally white, then cut it off and start over. I don't know too many who look good during the transition; "salt-and-pepper" isn't flattering on very many, and certainly not on me. Quite a few brunettes I know go (suddenly) blonde until the transformation is complete. It's too hard to keep up with that quickly reappearing "skunk line."
All the women in my immediate family are shades of ash blonde. My mother developed several face-framing skunk locks relatively early. IMHO, they were interesting and looked great with her usual hairstyle. Once my hair started growing in after a course of heavy chemo the color was darker which was a bit discouraging if you liked your blonde. I did years of subtle highlights to get some of that back. However, it was also obvious I was heading toward skunk locks just like my mother's. In a way, they replaced the highlights. I happen to like mine just as I liked hers!

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-20-2023 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-20-2023, 04:15 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Gray hair is trendy if you're 20 and "cute" and purposely dye your hair gray. If you're older, and maybe not-so-cute, and it's going gray naturally, then it's frumpy. It's just like glasses-- if you wear fake ones for "fashion," they're cute. If you wear them because you actually need them, they're unattractive.
I don't know. Last weekend I saw a couple approaching me on a hiking trail & I thought it was a mother & son. It seemed reasonable to me because I am the mom of an adult son with autism & he hikes with me every day. I was hiking with him at that time, in fact.

It wasn't until we passed each other, just a few feet away from each other, that I realized it was a young couple. The woman had very obviously dyed gray hair. I had to really look at her when she got close. She did look frumpy. Even close up. And she was probably in her 20's.

It may not have been the best shade of gray for her. There are so many different shades of natural gray, I don't think anyone can really get that from a bottle. Her's was between a slate & silver color. If she had gone for more of a white, it might have been more flattering, not sure. I really did think she was his mom initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not brave enough to post a picture in a post but my profile pic (taken a couple of months ago) is a good example of me "in transition:". I haven't dyed my hair since around 2018. It's not all growing in even, it's growing in gray in streaks, so I don't have that skunk stripe. Thank goodness. If I did I would probably just get a buzz cut & start all over again. I'm not salt & pepper though. I'm not exactly sure what I'd call it.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:27 PM

By "skunk line" I don't mean silver streaks; I mean that quarter inch, then half inch, then inch at the part in your hair at the roots between your scalp and your dyed dark hair when you don't touch-up promptly. Going blonde disguises - or at least softens - this.

I actually have a silver streak in the front which I inherited from my mother and grandmother, and I like that. What I don't like is the dull "steele" color (formerly almost black with reddish highlights) from going gradually grey all over now.

If I ever go all white like my mother did, I'll embrace that, too, but not a happy camper with this in-between stuff.

Last edited by otterhere; 03-20-2023 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-20-2023, 04:55 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I don't know. Last weekend I saw a couple approaching me on a hiking trail & I thought it was a mother & son. It seemed reasonable to me because I am the mom of an adult son with autism & he hikes with me every day. I was hiking with him at that time, in fact.

It wasn't until we passed each other, just a few feet away from each other, that I realized it was a young couple. The woman had very obviously dyed gray hair. I had to really look at her when she got close. She did look frumpy. Even close up. And she was probably in her 20's.

It may not have been the best shade of gray for her. There are so many different shades of natural gray, I don't think anyone can really get that from a bottle. Her's was between a slate & silver color. If she had gone for more of a white, it might have been more flattering, not sure. I really did think she was his mom initially.

I'm not brave enough to post a picture in a post but my profile pic (taken a couple of months ago) is a good example of me "in transition:". I haven't dyed my hair since around 2018. It's not all growing in even, it's growing in gray in streaks, so I don't have that skunk stripe. Thank goodness. If I did I would probably just get a buzz cut & start all over again. I'm not salt & pepper though. I'm not exactly sure what I'd call it.
I think it looks like blonde highlights, at least in that picture it does, Coschristie. Very pretty.

In my dad’s family, everyone transitioned quite beautifully to a lovely silver, my dad & my cousins included. I’ve always been a blonde like my mom, who turned a mousy shade of in-between grey and dirty blonde. Of course, I took after my mom, except for one really nice silver streak in front.

I would love to be all silver, and who knows it might get there at some point. (Except for my blue streak!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty