Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 09:33 PM

5,010 posts, read 591,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Gray hair is trendy if you're 20 and "cute" and purposely dye your hair gray. If you're older, and maybe not-so-cute, and it's going gray naturally, then it's frumpy. It's just like glasses-- if you wear fake ones for "fashion," they're cute. If you wear them because you actually need them, they're unattractive.
I don't want to start anything BUT, I strongly disagree with your viewpoint.

You just judged ME as being frumpy and unattractive.

I'm not mad....just wondering why you are so disparaging
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 10:59 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Gray hair is trendy if you're 20 and "cute" and purposely dye your hair gray. If you're older, and maybe not-so-cute, and it's going gray naturally, then it's frumpy. It's just like glasses-- if you wear fake ones for "fashion," they're cute. If you wear them because you actually need them, they're unattractive.
I was going to post exactly this, so thanks for saving me the trouble.

I would edit only to say it's "CONSIDERED frumpy."

Old 03-07-2023, 05:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post

My mom has gotten questions about whether her hair is natural for years. She’s now 76 and never dyed it.

I have to wear glasses and get positive comments about them all the time. It’s just harder since certain styles/prescriptions may make your eyes look bigger or smaller. For me it is the latter, and I have to avoid large frames to keep my eyes from looking tiny.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:02 AM

1,938 posts, read 701,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Okay, maybe not surprising. But discouraging.

After News Anchor’s Long Career, She Found Herself Focus of the Story
Lisa LaFlamme was dismissed after a decades-long TV career, not long after she stopped dyeing her hair, setting off debates across Canada about sexism, ageism and going gray.

Her departure set off multifaceted debates across Canada, especially after The Globe and Mail newspaper reported it may have been linked to Ms. LaFlamme’s hair — which she had chosen to let go gray during the pandemic when hair salons and other businesses shut down. The network’s owner, Bell Media, which denied that “age, gender and gray hair” had been factors, named a 39-year-old male correspondent, Omar Sachedina, as her successor.
https://jacklimpert.com/2023/02/afte...-of-the-story/

I remember an ABC newscaster from years ago - Kathleen Sullivan. She was young and let her hair go salt and pepper. She received some flak for that. She later claimed she was let go from CBS news for being older. Several newscasters from NY1 filed an age discrimination lawsuit a few years ago. Most of them were women but there may have been one or two guys also claiming they were cast aside for being older.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:10 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Her hair, both before and after gray, looks marvelous. She's so pretty. Hard to believe anyone would have a problem with HER gray hair. There's a famous model with gray hair and a similar cut, Nikol Johnson. She's a working, very wealthy, model with gray shoulder length hair. Non-colored hair is so much healthier, so that helps.

If more women would go gray, it would stop being such a marker for an "old lady" image. That's why it's more acceptible on men, IMO - we're so used to seeing them with gray hair, doing the same things that they did before they had gray hair.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:27 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Yep. And I'll be donning both soon enough as an over 55er.

Ahh, if we could only be 20 something social media influencers forever.

Lisa looks great by the way. It makes me wonder if there was something more to her firing because, appearance wise, I am not seeing an issue.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:56 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Her hair, both before and after gray, looks marvelous. She's so pretty. Hard to believe anyone would have a problem with HER gray hair. There's a famous model with gray hair and a similar cut, Nikol Johnson. She's a working, very wealthy, model with gray shoulder length hair. Non-colored hair is so much healthier, so that helps.

If more women would go gray, it would stop being such a marker for an "old lady" image. That's why it's more acceptible on men, IMO - we're so used to seeing them with gray hair, doing the same things that they did before they had gray hair.

You know who else went gray? Andie MacDowell.

Old 03-07-2023, 12:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Here is the most recent and inspiring update (from January 2023) on what's been happening with Lisa after she was blind-sided and let go from CTV last summer:

https://chatelaine.com/living/lisa-laflamme/

Also one little snippet from the above article that everyone should find heartening, giving the admirable Lisa and her high standards and principles as a great investigative journalist and news anchor recognition of credit where credit is certainly due:

"This April, the Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television will give LaFlamme its Gordon Sinclair Award for her “exceptional body of work in journalism.” (You have to give the Academy props for this subtle shade cast at CTV, given that Sinclair was a broadcaster whose irascibility and silver comb-over did not stand in the way of success. Like Sinclair, LaFlamme is also an Officer of the Order of Canada.)"

Old 03-07-2023, 01:14 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
My hair is white and silver, and I look stunning. ;-P

Old 03-07-2023, 01:17 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post

I did not read that as her own personal opinion, but rather as a statement about how society views gray hair and glasses (both of which describe me, too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty