Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 05:28 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,074,563 times

Advertisements

There's certainly a point where a T-shirt is TOO long but one that's too short isn't too flattering on most of us either. It hits right at the high hip point and accentuates a fat belly. I think the longer T-shirts are to cover the butt if someone is wearing leggings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 05:38 AM

6,472 posts, read 3,999,739 times
Because-- as others have said-- not everyone is short-waisted?

And what do you mean, now? T-shirts have been longer for years; we've enjoyed a good long run, thank heaven. Now I see things are going back to that boxy, short 90s style that once again is going to leave those of us who are long-waisted (or tall) going around tugging down the hems of our t-shirts if we don't want to bare our midriffs (or trying to find a long tank top to wear underneath), and looking odd because of the proportion of where the hem of our shirt falls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
So...male here. I am glad they are longer and I wish men's dress shirts had longer tails too. It's really annoying to stand up or reach up to a high shelf and have my shirt become untucked.

P.S. Apologies if this thread was meant only for women but it's an important one for me. :-)
Try being female, where most of the dress shirts marketed to you aren't even meant to be tucked in in the first place so are already short, and then if you're long-waisted, forget it-- you just get to go around looking unkempt in an untucked shirt, or trying to keep in the inch of fabric you tucked in.

Old 06-25-2022, 05:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,695,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Because-- as others have said-- not everyone is short-waisted?

And what do you mean, now? T-shirts have been longer for years; we've enjoyed a good long run, thank heaven. Now I see things are going back to that boxy, short 90s style that once again is going to leave those of us who are long-waisted (or tall) going around tugging down the hems of our t-shirts if we don't want to bare our midriffs (or trying to find a long tank top to wear underneath), and looking odd because of the proportion of where the hem of our shirt falls.

Try being female, where most of the dress shirts marketed to you aren't even meant to be tucked in in the first place so are already short, and then if you're long-waisted, forget it-- you just get to go around looking unkempt in an untucked shirt, or trying to keep in the inch of fabric you tucked in.
Yep- I remember when I started working in the ‘90s/early ‘00s. Most pants had a lower waistline and shirts were shorter. I remember getting comments from supervisors because my midriff would show when I had to reach up for something. I wasn’t looking to buy anything inappropriate. That was all that was available at the time. It was only when I moved abroad in 2003 that I started to even find tank tops that were long enough.

Old 06-25-2022, 01:34 PM

629 posts, read 412,661 times
LOL, I mail ordered a tee shirt recently that featured a vintage famous face on it. The shirt was so long that when I tucked it into my trousers, only the portion from the nose up was visible. It was actually funnier that way, so I stayed with it.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:02 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,504,749 times
wow lately all i see in a lot of stores are crop tops and baggy jeans. An annoying trend...not for me

Old 07-08-2022, 08:36 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,694,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
to cover fat bellies.

I was always an M in everything. Now I am an S but I actually gained weight and muscles. Clothes have been adjusted to fatter people so they don't feel as out of shape.
Bingo So our fat bellies don't stick out. I am 6' and as I have gotten older I have gained weight mainly in the stomach area. So the normal t-shirts let the bottom of my fat belly stick out and nobdy needs to see that. I have recently been doing my best to lose some weight and for me 15 pounds was the difference between a t-shirt covering my belly or me looking like the typical Walmart shopper.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:53 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,367,418 times
Really? As someone who is tall, everything seems so SHORT. And I'm not even that tall.

Old 07-09-2022, 12:49 PM

43,208 posts, read 18,363,097 times
I cut and hem them to a bit below my hip bone so I can wear them tucked in or left out.
I do not like the extra long shirts.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 398 times
Your shirt should go about two inches past your waistband (or the bottom of your belt), and it should end right around mid-fly. If it goes all the way to the bottom of your fly, it's too long and will make you look shorter.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:13 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,469,855 times
I prefer my t-shirts to hit at the waist (fly completely covered) *or* to do a french tuck with a blazer, so the long length is perfect for me. For years, shirts were *way* too short, particularly as someone who is busty. I could easily end up with a shirt that barely grazed my waistband and would show a ton of tummy if I lifted up my arms. The style today makes me feel like I have more flexibility with my wardrobe and am a bit more protected from wardrobe malfunctions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty