Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:40 PM

253 posts, read 1,107,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I remain convinced that all slaves to designer labels are in denial. Those designers should be paying you to wear their logos all over town, not vice versa, and they are laughing all the way to the bank.
I maintain that fashion is wearable art. People have different things that they are willing to shell out big bucks for in this life. So you can say its wrong on any account. Why do people pay more money sometimes with less square footage to live in some areas versus other areas that are equally safe? why do people drive expensive cars when they can buy a cheaper car that will get them to the destination just as quickly? why do people sometimes pay millions of dollars for one abstract painting?
You can question ANY of these things but the answer is pure & simple. they find value & often times beauty in that item & they can afford it. I have worn basic clothing and accessories and for me they were just a means to an end. I was never excited buy shoes or clothing until I started wearing high end clothing shoes & handbags. They look & feel different to me. Im not in to EVERY designer just because its expensive but I do have several favorites. I like the polished chic appearance my designer items give me. To me there is a difference. Im not the type of person who needs to get eveything in current season. I am fine with getting items that are sometimes a season behind because Im all about the sale. I very rarely pay full price for an item. However not all women are like me. there are many women who will only wear in season items. I say more power to them. I choose not to do this because I would rather have a whole wardrobe of awesome designer stuff than to only have a few key pieces of my favorite designers with a mix of lesser quality stuff.
There are some women who are able to have a wardrobe like mine filled with only in season item & they change it up every year. I say good for them but I am not one of these women. I have things in my closet that are years old. They still look good because I take care of my stuff & because I have a lot of clothes I dont wear any one thing too often. Now Im at the point where I add a few key new pieces to my wardrobe every year & you'd be surprised at some of the deals I get. My 1st pair of Christian Louboutins cost me $50 they were brand new $600 shoes. I got a pair of $300 dollar ysl pants for $19. I have a Fendi fur coat worth about $10,000 that I paid 450 for. I also have items that seem expensive but considering the retail cost I think they are a bargain. For example a 6k Prada purse that I paid $600 a 10k Dolce & Gabbana Dress that I paid $400 for, $500-700 for Chanel suits that are normally 3-4k per suit. I have plenty of other examples but Im sure you get the point & if you are still reading this you are bored right now.All the items were brand new too. My point in saying this is as much as Im a slave to lables I am a slave to a good bargain even moreso. Dont get me wrong there are some items that I have paid full price for but If I did it for every item than I would have half the stuff that I have. I'm lucky enough to I have some really good hook ups that will remain MY secret. Sorry I have some of you write me about my hook ups & I will share with you the more common knowledge but I GOTTA keep my best hook ups a secret. I dont think anyone should go into the poor house for expensive items but if they can afford it & they like it by all means they should purchase it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty