Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:56 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok it's a free country, but why in the world would you waste that kind of money on a pair of shoes? If you have low self esteem, I think there are less expensive ways to work on it. You may think people will be impressed, but really, they'll think you have a screw loose.
Maybe she just likes the shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 12:21 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I didn't mean to sound mean. I just have this thing about so called status symbols and the herd mentality of some people. Just because lately Oprah and other show biz types have shoes with red on the bottom, everyone thinks they need to spend $1000 for a pair of shoes.
I'm sure I do probably have a screw lose about some things. But not this.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:28 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,903 times
I will routinely spend $200 on a shirt or tailored pants, $400 on a dress. If they are classic pieces and well made, it makes a very large difference in your overall look, and will last a long time. I would rather have a few nice items of clothing rather than tons of cheap clothing that doesn't fit properly and wears out quickly. Louboutin has several very nice simple pumps and open toed shoes that are classic and worth an investment. To me, Louboutin is almost a work of art:

http://www.my916shop.com/sites/amulyk/images/Christian%20Louboutin%20shoe%202.jpg (broken link)http://www.limoheels.com/images/2007/11/15/louboutin.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by newtoli; 04-24-2008 at 01:36 PM..

Old 04-24-2008, 02:20 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,314 times
Those open toed pumps are to die for. Now you are making me want to head on out to Neiman lol.

And yes, Louboutin's are a work of art.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:42 PM

253 posts, read 1,106,940 times
Default To each its own

Quote:
Ok it's a free country, but why in the world would you waste that kind of money on a pair of shoes? If you have low self esteem, I think there are less expensive ways to work on it. You may think people will be impressed, but really, they'll think you have a screw loose.
You know what until you own a pair of Louboutins you have no idea what your missing! Im not saying its for everyone but if you can afford them & you like them life is too short to deny youself luxuries! I own 5 pair & I love every one of them & to tell you the truth I cant wait ot get 5 pair more at the very least! It has nothing to do with low self esteem I own many designer shoes because I love the look of them! In fact I HAVE DESIGNER EVERYTHING & the reason why is b/c I can! It doesn't make me better than anyone I just happen to love fashion. I look at it as wearable art.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:01 AM

71 posts, read 209,309 times
Thumbs down F off!

Quote:
Hadn't been back here since I bought my $600 Louboutin. Not $1000, thank you.

So what were you saying about having a screw loose?
So ridiculous,you had me spitting my root beer all over my laptop
Maybe some part of your anatomy has gotten loose, cause to me you're talking out of it kid!
Friendly reminder: I came here asking about a pair of effing shoes! Not for sore and /or BROKE ASS losers giving me advice that's irrelevant to any facets of my life .
Have a great week end!

PS: Thank you to the LADIES who were kind enough to refer Jeffrey's to me.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:19 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,384 times
Quote:
That's really a mean thing to say and there is no reason to say it.

All she did was ask a fashion related question, in a fashion section.

Fashion is not about impressing people but wearing what you like. If she likes these shoes and she can afford them it is her business and no one elses.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:35 AM

172 posts, read 769,121 times
I buy expensive items because I like a polished, chic, yet classic well put together look. Personally, buying a pair of cheap shoes or clothing does not give me that look. It does not mean that I am doing it as a status symbol or to attract attention. I don't care if people know what brand I am wearing and quite frankly people shouldn't care about what I put on my body.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:16 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
You are right. She only asked where she could buy them. Like I said, I didn't intend to be mean, but it just pushed my buttons. I was not saying I don't appreciate quality, and that quality is expensive, because I do.
I remain convinced that all slaves to designer labels are in denial. Those designers should be paying you to wear their logos all over town, not vice versa, and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 AM

172 posts, read 769,121 times
Quote:
You are right. She only asked where she could buy them. Like I said, I didn't intend to be mean, but it just pushed my buttons. I was not saying I don't appreciate quality, and that quality is expensive, because I do.
I remain convinced that all slaves to designer labels are in denial. Those designers should be paying you to wear their logos all over town, not vice versa, and they are laughing all the way to the bank.
I understand where you are coming from. I think the part that knocked everyone off their rocker is when you made the comment about having a screw loose. Are there people who go out and buy designer items to impress others? Sure. Are there people who thrive off of impressing others and creating a wow factor? Yes. However, not everyone is in this category. There are many that appreciate the quality that goes along with higher priced brands. Personally, I do not go for the items with logos. Not my style. I prefer to be under the radar instead of a billboard. I have no problem with the people that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty