Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:26 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times

Advertisements

[smallvoice]The jelly shoes I had in 1984 were sooo comfortable! [/smallvoice]

Anyway, how are Crocs any different from jelly shoes?

I'll go with:

Big hair of any kind
Bell bottoms
Gigantic earrings and matching chunky necklaces
Wearing long-sleeved shirts under a short-sleeved T-shirt (yeah, Mom, I'll admit you were right about that one!)
Mousse that gave your hair highlights (and rubbed off on your pillow at night)
Wearing lacy anklets with pumps
Dog-ear collars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 11:12 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Oh gosh, stirrup pants, HUGE bulky sweaters in a pattern or pic on them, pumps. YUCK!!

Let's see:

Yo-yo shoes
Candie's shoes
Teased to Jesus hair
NO BANGS!!! (on me this is BAD!!!)
Wearing pink sponge rollers to school for early morning practices
Shiny polyester shirts - a la late 70's (pretty)
White Jeans (they were Guess)
Tight satin pants
Pants that had these HUGE flaps right at the hip that buttoned down (what was I thinking)
HUMONGOUS shoulder pads (guess we wanted to play football)
For "business" wear in the 80's for women, navy blue suits, white blouse and a HUGE hideious slik bow at your neck.
TOO many things to even begin to think about.

Oh, I've noticed this winter that "winter shorts" were back in. No thanks. Been there, done that. However, I LOVED my wool winter shorts back then. I also refuse now to wear a vest of ANY kind.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:42 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,122 times
this thread has made me laugh during an otherwise rough day at work, so thanks!!

I will also add wearing two contrasting layers of socks, cut-off sweatshirts and sweatpants, etc.

I am guilty of hyper-color shirts, stone-wash jeans, BIG BANGS, leg warmers, satin shirts, flannels, and wearing docksiders with the laces curled

Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,915 times
I plead guilty to stirrup pants. Forgot all about those until it was listed.
Extremely bright colors with everything matching that color - sweater (big with should pads), pants, socks, etc.
Fara Faucet hair.
I seem to remember wearing a lot of lacy stuff in the 80's a prairie type skirts/dresses.
My husband's eyeglasses were HUGE.

At 40 now I feel like I look so much better and dress better that I shutter to think I'll be cringing at it 20 years from now. That's depressing!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 PM

302 posts, read 922,051 times
So, I'm a bit of youngster on this board. I was born in the early/mid-80's, raised in the 90's. Where I grew up, dressing like a boy was the thing to do. I remember we would wear those flannel, plaid shirts when it was summer and the winter! In the winter, they had to be paired with the biggest, baggiest pair of boys' jeans that wouldn't fall down or get tripped over. And in the summer, flannel, plaid shirts....with shorts (the shirts were usually tucked into the shorts)...black combat boots...we would be burning up, on the verge of falling out underneath that flannel, but you couldn't tell us we didn't look good!

And of course, to top it off, the braids and the cap combo. Like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0f/Poetic_justice.jpg/200px-Poetic_justice.jpg (broken link)

All pictures of me between 1987 and 1996 have been confiscated and locked away. I cannot bear to see how I used to dress.

I won't even get on my mother's old clothing. She is in her late 40's, so she's seen many a bad trend.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM

307 posts, read 2,507,679 times
hmmm....lets see I used to wear alot of not really fashionable clothes. Addidas jogging pants, reebok sneakers, baggies, skater sneakers, Levis jeans all ripped. I used to wear my hair blond with pink or extremly red streaks or just the ends. The hair wasnt all that bad...I guess I would try that again...but the clothes??? NEVER AGAIN!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 PM

253 posts, read 1,106,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Anyway, how are Crocs any different from jelly shoes?
I happen to think Crocs are the ugliest things. I wouldn't be caught dead in them. When I first saw them I thought the person wearing them was handicapped but too broke to buy a leather orthopedic shoe.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:12 PM

302 posts, read 922,051 times
My grandma loves her Crocs!

But then again, she's my grandma. And she's a gardener. So that probably explains it.

And I admittedly have a pair in my closet. I wore them when I snapped my poor ankle last summer, and every other shoe brought tears to my eyes, lol.

I am always messing up my foot.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Teased to Jesus hair...
I think I just hurt myself laughing... I have a niece who STILL does that!

http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/lmao.gif (broken link)

Spandex... Those Danskin bodysuits and skirts that were ALL the rage!

*shudder*

Old 02-07-2008, 08:23 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,384 times
I have Crocs that just look like a regular flip flop, you wouldn't even know they are Crocs brand. They are so comfortable! But the garden clogs scare me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty