Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 02:15 AM

459 posts, read 768,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is all about proportions, not measurements. It is entirely possible to have hourglass measurements, and not look particularly curvy from the front. Serena Williams is a great example. She is basically all butt not hips! I have a friend, and we have roughly the same bust/hip measurements. I have wider hips and she has bigger/athletic thighs. So even though with the tape measure, we look the same. We have widely different figures! I can't get tips on pants from her, as I have "more waist" or "less waist" I guess is more accurate, since mine is more defined. She also has broader shoulders than I do.

That's why we are steering you into the inverted triangle shape, since it is a bit closer, even though you have a defined waist. You still have the same challenge of wanting to add visual bulk to your lower half.
Yeah I know but I already said my butt only makes an inch and a half difference. My size is mostly from the hip bones.

The reason I don't really adhere to inverted triangle shape in that it usually tries my the top look less cluttered and focus on waist definitions. While it's not my problem it's my shoulders and hips not being aligned that's why I steer away from dressing like the inverted triangle guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
Real Life Body Shapes – V | Inside Out Style

Sounds like you are an inverted triangle, even if you believe you aren't. You are a variation of one. Not every body shape is stringent to where you must look EXACTLY like that shape to be considered it. Most people are variations. I'm a variation myself-a mixture of an hour glass and a pear. My body is similar to cocoa austin, or rosa acosta minus the fake boobs. You definitely aren't hour glass, your more busty than anything. Your just a slim busty triangle. Don't make it more complicated than what it should be lol. You can't change your body shape anyway. It is what it is. Except and love yourself and try to dress to minimize your shoulders. Other then that..... I've got nothing for you sweetie beyond plastic surgery.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:37 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post

Sounds like you are an inverted triangle, even if you believe you aren't. You are a variation of one. Not every body shape is stringent to where you must look EXACTLY like that shape to be considered it. Most people are variations. I'm a variation myself-a mixture of an hour glass and a pear. My body is similar to cocoa austin, or rosa acosta minus the fake boobs. You definitely aren't hour glass, your more busty than anything. Your just a slim busty triangle. Don't make it more complicated than what it should be lol. You can't change your body shape anyway. It is what it is. Except and love yourself and try to dress to minimize your shoulders. Other then that..... I've got nothing for you sweetie beyond plastic surgery.
I agree - one can't change basic body shape without surgery. If you gain or lose weight you still have the same basic build. I too, am more of a V shape than anything, but busty, so I am probably built like the OP. I just wear clothing that makes me look like I have more hips and smaller waist to create a more "hourglass" type image. It is amazing what the right clothing can do!

Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 AM

4,564 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
what is an hourglass figure?
Seriously? Its when a woman's figure has a similar shape from both the front and side of an hourglass.

Think: Kim Kardashian, Jessica Rabbit, Carmen Electra, Halle Berry, Salma Hayak. THEY are perfect examples of women with hourglass figures.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post

coco Austin is an extreme pear actually lol. You're not an hourglass.
I don't look a thing like that person. My boobs shoulders and hips are much bigger than that compared to my waist. And my waist is much smaller than hers.

Guidelines actually say I should be an hourglass since both my hips and boobs are 10 inches bigger than my waist. If you'd look back my waist to hips ratio is very defined. An hourglass is not a pear. Which it seems many of you try to connect it to being when it certainly isn't. Just because my hips aren't my main feature doesn't mean I'm not an hourglass. An hourglass is someone who's hips and shoulders/bust are significantly bigger than the waistline. Not just the hips. Not just the shoulders. But in combination.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:25 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Yeah I do because my shoulders 38". That's a lot more than 33". Plus my bust line is about the same size as katy perry's.

Like I said I have no problem with my waist it's all shoulder v. hips and my shoulders and bust are way bigger.
Your hips aren't supposed to be as wide as your shoulders. What determines the hourglass is hip size comparable to bust size, and a small waist. Shoulder width has nothing to do with it.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Seriously? Its when a woman's figure has a similar shape from both the front and side of an hourglass.

Think: Kim Kardashian, Jessica Rabbit, Carmen Electra, Halle Berry, Salma Hayak. THEY are perfect examples of women with hourglass figures.

really?

I didn't know Carmen was considered an hourglass. I have Carmen's shaped only I'm a smaller person in general. Hers are 24-34. Mine are 23-33. She's a 34D. I'm a 32D. Only thing is I have much BIGGER shoulders.

I have the same formation my hips too. They tend to be most prominent on top but trim with very little fat it's just my hip bones themselves stick out.

I always thought salma hayak was a perfect hourglass. And Jessica rabbit and kim kardashian too. I didn't know Carmen electra was included.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 07-06-2014 at 03:27 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Your hips aren't supposed to be as wide as your shoulders. What determines the hourglass is hip size comparable to bust size, and a small waist. Shoulder width has nothing to do with it.
actually I believe it does for every shape. If it weren't why is the inverted triangle characterized by the shoulders?

Clothes for Hourglass Figure | Clothing Hourglass Figure | Carissa Rose

it says here the hips and shoulders are equal in hourglasses.

Either way both ways my top is bigger.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
actually I believe it does for every shape. If it weren't why is the inverted triangle characterized by the shoulders?

Clothes for Hourglass Figure | Clothing Hourglass Figure | Carissa Rose

it says here the hips and shoulders are equal in hourglasses.

Either way both ways my top is bigger.
There's not much you can do about it, since it's your pelvis that determines hip width. All you can do is gain weight and see if it goes to your hips. For most European women it does, but some gain around the middle, which wouldn't help.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
Quote:
coco Austin is an extreme pear actually lol. You're not an hourglass.
I don't look a thing like that person. My boobs shoulders and hips are much bigger than that compared to my waist. And my waist is much smaller than hers.

Guidelines actually say I should be an hourglass since both my hips and boobs are 10 inches bigger than my waist. If you'd look back my waist to hips ratio is very defined. An hourglass is not a pear. Which it seems many of you try to connect it to being when it certainly isn't. Just because my hips aren't my main feature doesn't mean I'm not an hourglass. An hourglass is someone who's hips and shoulders/bust are significantly bigger than the waistline. Not just the hips. Not just the shoulders. But in combination.
Of course you won't look like that person, you aren't that person. Not everyone will look the same as a certain shape. Your measurements are not hour glass. They resemble an inverted triangle. Your butt is smallish and your bust is big. Not equal in proportion at all. You seem to be top heavy with a small waist and a small butt which is a variation of an inverted triangle. I see women with this build often.

My body resembles coco austin but it isn't an exact snap shot image. No one looks exactly alike. My shoulders and hips almost align-my hips are only a tiny bit wider than my shoulders. I have a big butt and decent size hips but my hips are not very wide like a classic pear such as Kim k, Alicia keys, or Jennifer Hewitt. I don't have slender arms and my hips and noticeable but do not protrude as significantly as other classic pears. I'm muscular in build. My hips are wide but not extremely so, and I have more butt than I do hips. I'm not a classic pear. Google Rosa acosta's body. Alicia keys or j Hewitt have the classic pear look to the tea. Cocoa austin is actually considered an hour glass these days btw.

if you are so convinced that you are an hour glass why did you start this thread? All your doing is arguing with people when it is you who presented your measurements which clearly did not meet the definition of an hour glass woman. If you want validation that you are an hour glass than you should have made the announcement in the beginning of the thread. Otherwise what exactly is your goal? Almost everyone has confirmed you are a triangle even with the pics and the continued clarification from you. If you believe otherwise STILL then do be it.

Last edited by Faith2187; 07-03-2014 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty