Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 08:24 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because building lean muscle mass helps prevent insulin resistance, or improves insulin sensitivity for people who already have a measure of insulin resistance. This tends to become more of an issue as people age.
That's a good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 09:06 PM

3,188 posts, read 1,659,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because building lean muscle mass helps prevent insulin resistance, or improves insulin sensitivity for people who already have a measure of insulin resistance. This tends to become more of an issue as people age.
Because you need insulin to help muscular repairs and it needs to know exactly where tissues need building. Insulin resistance is the problem that increases aging as insulin is needed for the body to increase HGH.

Old 04-04-2024, 02:09 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,862,364 times
Calorie restriction, in case anyone is still confused about the term, means that you don't go beyond a certain number of calories per day. That number can vary tremendously per individual. It isn't a bad idea for most of us in the US.

Yes, our bodies are more vulnerable to injury as we age. It's a great idea to exercise and maintain or add muscle as needed, but with restraint. That is my personal goal.

Once we tear or strain, it takes longer to heal and can lead to other complications. I won't try to pretend that I'm in my twenties any more. I learned the hard way that it's not in my best interest.

Old 04-04-2024, 06:19 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,879 times
I really like this video on lifting till you die. More realistic. Especially for those who lifted in their teens or 20's and never really took a huge break. Comparing your prime till now is really no contest unless one never lifted in their youth. Start at 10:30 if you are 60+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zcF6Ut7lo

Old 04-04-2024, 08:09 PM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
I agree that strength training is important as we age, but if we can build muscle at any age, why aren't the biggest bodybuilders also the oldest? Maybe they explode once they get to a certain size? Or they stay home because they can't fit through the door anymore? Think about it. If it's possible to always keep getting stronger, then only really old people over 95 should be able to handle the heaviest weights.

I never really think about size as much as "How much weight should I be able to lift/push/pull/press at my age?" I'm not sure what my goals should be, or if I should just focus on maintaining. My BMI is 22 so I'm not worried about my weight, but my strength needs improvement. I frequently get headaches after working out which is a disincentive. I can see how increasing arthritis pain could also cause me to reduce weight training in the future. I don't want to take more pain medications just to keep working out.

Last edited by aries63; 04-04-2024 at 08:21 PM..

Old 04-04-2024, 09:03 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I really like this video on lifting till you die. More realistic. Especially for those who lifted in their teens or 20's and never really took a huge break. Comparing your prime till now is really no contest unless one never lifted in their youth. Start at 10:30 if you are 60+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zcF6Ut7lo

From the video:

"60+ years old

If you start lifting in this range you will see very life-altering changes
If you started lifting in the 40-60 age range you will peak here but begin to lose size/strength soon.
All other age group starts will get smaller and weaker through this range. "

I believe it.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:13 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I know that from personal experience. . .I'm 70. But the reason why is presented in the video below.

When Is "TOO OLD" To Add Muscle? Answer: NEVER! [2024]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G4arrouEk8
wow just goes to show what a bit of work can achieve..

Old 04-05-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I agree that strength training is important as we age, but if we can build muscle at any age, why aren't the biggest bodybuilders also the oldest? Maybe they explode once they get to a certain size? Or they stay home because they can't fit through the door anymore? Think about it. If it's possible to always keep getting stronger, then only really old people over 95 should be able to handle the heaviest weights.

I never really think about size as much as "How much weight should I be able to lift/push/pull/press at my age?" I'm not sure what my goals should be, or if I should just focus on maintaining. My BMI is 22 so I'm not worried about my weight, but my strength needs improvement. I frequently get headaches after working out which is a disincentive. I can see how increasing arthritis pain could also cause me to reduce weight training in the future. I don't want to take more pain medications just to keep working out.
There is a limit to how big, as well as to how strong a person can become. The biggest bodybuilders are already as big as they can get, and they used drugs to help them get that big. The point being made in the video, and by me is that no matter how old you are, weight training is beneficial. An untrained older person, if he is otherwise healthy can increase muscle size and strength if he begins lifting weights. And even if he already has some degree of training behind him there can be room for improvement ahead of him.

Watch This 80-Year-Old Deadlift 150 Kilograms (330.7 Pounds) Raw On His Birthday

https://barbend.com/80-year-old-birt...thday%2C%20raw.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:43 AM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
I think the emphasis needs to be not on increasing size, but on improving practical strength. I find it harder to lift a bicycle onto a rack, or lift a carry-on into an overhead bin, things that seem easy but get harder as we get older, and require coordination of muscle groups and core strength. Flexibility and range of motion also need work.

"Stunts" like deadlifting heavy weights don't interest me.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think the emphasis needs to be not on increasing size, but on improving practical strength. I find it harder to lift a bicycle onto a rack, or lift a carry-on into an overhead bin, things that seem easy but get harder as we get older, and require coordination of muscle groups and core strength. Flexibility and range of motion also need work.

"Stunts" like deadlifting heavy weights don't interest me.
Deadlifts are not a 'stunt.' The deadlift is a very practical overall body exercise which carries over to everyday activities. But there are other exercises such as the back raise which will work your lower back. So if you don't like deadlifts or are afraid of them, there are other movements you can do. I agree that strength development is more important than trying to get bigger, but there's room for both.

I posted the deadlift video of the 80 year old to show that an older person can become quite strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness