Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,547 times

Advertisements

Ever notice how "older" men (ages 45-75) seem to be really strong, regardless if they lift weights or exercise? Do you think they are truly stronger than younger men...or do they just happen to know how the world works better?

For example, I sometimes have difficulty opening jars that my father can open with ease. He likely isn't "stronger" than me; however, perhaps his years of experience opening jars gives him an edge. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
muscle mass decreases with age. at 45 this has not happened but what does happen is tendon and ligaments no longer flex as well and injuries are frequent. stamina goes down.
yes strength is there but there are penalties for using it.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,224,263 times
No. I don't believe in "old man strength".

However, my Dad grew up on a farm. Me in the city. Dad had phenomenal grip strength. His forearms almost reminded me of Popeye as a child. By the time I was 17 I could squat, bench and generally lift more than him. His grip was still a lot stronger than mine.

The point is some old timers grew up doing very hard physical work from early childhood. Then got jobs where they were required to keep doing physical work. That builds specific strength in certain areas. Nowadays not so much. Heck, nowadays I'm an old man. And I ain't very strong.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:18 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,763,619 times
I'm a believer! From my own experience. I'm now 63 and have never 'lifted weights' (to build upper body strength). As a cyclist and tennis player, I'm more interested in keeping my legs strong. But, I noticed starting around 40 or so, that I was able to do things that I could not do when I was younger. I was certainly not any stronger, but believe that I just know how to use my body more efficiently. As you allude to, us older guys have just 'figured it out'.

@Huclkeberry3911948, no injuries . . . ever. From high school track and cross country to cycling a century, (which I will be doing tomorrow). The typical cyclist doesn't want big muscles. They don't help. I can't ride up a hill very fast, but that is due to my weight, not any loss of ability. My time trialing speeds have been consistent since middle age, (I am actually faster than I was as a teen and a 20s rider). No problems with the racket either. Game is as good, (or poor), as ever.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,423 times
"Warrior Mentor" Sergeant Major "Billy" Waugh, US Special Forces Sergeant Major and Central Intelligence Agency Paramilitary Operations Officer who served more than 50 years of Service between the U.S. Army's SF Green Berets and the CIA's (Ground Branch) of (SAD) Special Activities Division.

exactly one month to the day 10/11/2001 Warrior Mentor celebrated his 72 ND Birthday, it was the "who's who of the Special Force community, not there to take pics or sign autographs, Waugh participated in Operation Enduring Freedom as a member of the CIA team led by Gary Schroen that went into Afghanistan to work with the Northern Alliance to topple the Taliban regime and Al Qaeda at the Battle of Tora Bora.

today he is an active advisor at age 85..

There's two types of men in this world, men who NEED a tissue box and men who don't..

Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times
Think that there is some truth to this. Have a couple of friends that never lift but are still pretty strong. Both are in their late 40's and one is a cabinet maker, the other owns a glass shop. So they are constantly lifting odd sized objects throughout the day. Might not weigh much, but a holding a piece of wood or glass while trying to work with it or install it and doing it over and over again keeps them fairly strong.

Looking back at my dad, while he held mostly white collar jobs as an adult, did work blue collar physical jobs as a teenager and young adult. Think that the base of strength he got from that 6-7 year period stuck around. If we needed to wrestle with a piece of furniture or grab something heavy out of the attic it wasn't too much of an issue for him. My early jobs were all retail or food and throwing pizza dough around as a teenager did not do much to build any strength.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:08 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Ever notice how "older" men (ages 45-75) seem to be really strong, regardless if they lift weights or exercise? Do you think they are truly stronger than younger men...or do they just happen to know how the world works better?

For example, I sometimes have difficulty opening jars that my father can open with ease. He likely isn't "stronger" than me; however, perhaps his years of experience opening jars gives him an edge. Thoughts?
This I think. This is so weird that you posted this too b/c I was just thinking about this yesterday. I am a middle aged woman and usually have a really hard time opening jars for some reason--small greasy hands maybe? Weak grip? Who knows but I usually need a man to open jars for me (I"m single) or I'll try little tricks like banging it with a knife or hot water or. . . but I was reading a book the other day and it was talking about how sometimes we try to use more force when force will make it worse. Said to use your brain instead so I tried that next day on a jar that the day before I could not get open no matter what I did. Yep, it opened easily. So now I'm into the zen of jar opening lol.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
This I think. This is so weird that you posted this too b/c I was just thinking about this yesterday. I am a middle aged woman and usually have a really hard time opening jars for some reason--small greasy hands maybe? Weak grip? Who knows but I usually need a man to open jars for me (I"m single) or I'll try little tricks like banging it with a knife or hot water or. . . but I was reading a book the other day and it was talking about how sometimes we try to use more force when force will make it worse. Said to use your brain instead so I tried that next day on a jar that the day before I could not get open no matter what I did. Yep, it opened easily. So now I'm into the zen of jar opening lol.
Do yourself a favor and buy a jar opener! They cost less than 10 bucks and are life savers!

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/k...uctId=10008177

Old 08-23-2014, 09:01 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,203,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Said to use your brain instead so I tried that next day on a jar that the day before I could not get open no matter what I did. Yep, it opened easily. So now I'm into the zen of jar opening lol.
The brain is a "smart muscle" after all .

Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,721 times
No I don't. My stepfather was a boxer in the navy before he married my mother. He wasn't very tall but he was built. One day he took his belt off to hit my brother who stood at least 6 inches taller than my stepfather and was only about 15 years old. My brother grabbed an end of the belt and stared my step father down. My stepfather backed off, as he should have. So old man strength is not always what some people think it might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness