Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 06:50 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
thank you so much Elnina Im reading these now... wish I could swim but could still go to water aerobics.. I walk well now so can go quite long walks with the dog... but unfortunately my shoulder , arm and hands are now affected with arthritis so stops some exercise.. but I do very light weights.. but hope Im not making things worse... thanks again..
If you can get your doctor or surgeon to refer you to a physical therapist, the therapist can tailor-make a routine for your specific concerns. I think that's the only way, really. Otherwise, you're just guessing, and hoping you're not doing further damage.

And what kind of arthritis is it in the shoulder, arm and hands? Rheumatoid? If so, you can look at strategies to lessen inflammation in your system in general, which contributes to rheumatoid arthritis. This could involve looking at your diet (tomatoes, for example, are inflammatory, as are all nightshades), and other factors. Supplementing with certain lipids helps reduce inflammation. There's a whole science to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 07:47 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you can get your doctor or surgeon to refer you to a physical therapist, the therapist can tailor-make a routine for your specific concerns. I think that's the only way, really. Otherwise, you're just guessing, and hoping you're not doing further damage.

And what kind of arthritis is it in the shoulder, arm and hands? Rheumatoid? If so, you can look at strategies to lessen inflammation in your system in general, which contributes to rheumatoid arthritis. This could involve looking at your diet (tomatoes, for example, are inflammatory, as are all nightshades), and other factors. Supplementing with certain lipids helps reduce inflammation. There's a whole science to it.
Im waiting on results of x rays on hands arm and shoulder just now.. completely different pain from the hip before op.... but this has all banged in since I fell on my bottom a year and a half ago....slipped on wet leaves and mud while out with the dog...its all gone wrong since then... I blamed using crutches on the arm ,,shoulder and hand pain and thought it would get better but sadly its not going away and I had to see the doc who sent me for xrays... its the further damage IM worried about... In hospital I was told to do some leg exercises for my hip which I did do most days and helped.. that seems all good now but I never realized how people suffer with their hands too... as it stops me doing wee silly things like opening bottles. jars.. as so painful.. in fact anything around the house , cleaning , changing the duvet. is much more difficult..oh the joys of getting old... thank you for help..

Old 02-06-2024, 01:29 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Quote:
thank you so much Elnina Im reading these now... wish I could swim but could still go to water aerobics.. I walk well now so can go quite long walks with the dog... but unfortunately my shoulder , arm and hands are now affected with arthritis so stops some exercise.. but I do very light weights.. but hope Im not making things worse... thanks again..
A bit off topic, but I've been reading how borage oil (available in capsules) helps quite a bit with arthritic pain caused by inflammation...

You might want to research for yourself online and see what you think...

Old 02-06-2024, 02:09 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
This fall I did four months of water exercise and it was surprisingly strenuous while also being easy on my joints. It helped my balance, strength and flexibility.

Plus it was fun.

When it warms up a little outside I plan to return to the group.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
A bit off topic, but I've been reading how borage oil (available in capsules) helps quite a bit with arthritic pain caused by inflammation...

I checked on this and found there is some evidence that taking borage seed oil in combination with conventional painkilling or anti-inflammatory medications might help decrease symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) after six weeks of treatment.

Old 02-07-2024, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

Thank you LD will do...

Old 02-07-2024, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Thank you LD will do...
IS this the same as Starflower oil..

Old 02-07-2024, 04:31 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
I'm told by my physical therapist and physicians to exercise to keep the joints from getting stiffer. That's easy for them to say. There are of course different kinds of arthritis. My insurance pays for my PT and mine goes to the gym so he is able to tell me what to do and what not to do. The shoulder is a very weak area.

Every person is different; an earlier post notes issues with dumbbell curls, I have no problems with that, but rather some bench press machines.

I would avoid the internet tutorials except after the specific movements are identified. My ortho doc. is an older athlete. He and my PT who goes to the gym ideifilty which exercises and movements to "push through" and which ones to avoid.

The late Oliver Sacks was a competition weight lifter; in his last years he used a pool for swimming (not walking).

Some insurance plans are very generous with PT. It's worthwhile pursuing this.

One thing I do each morning and am getting ready to do now, is take a black foam roller and do a routine on that to loosen and straighten up. The only downside is that my cat likes to use my stomach as her trampoline. I can hear the joints creaking...but be sure to consult a PT first since if there are disc issues, a person doesn't want to exacerbate problems.

Last edited by webster; 02-07-2024 at 04:44 AM..

Old 02-07-2024, 07:36 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Doctors seem to fob us off with pain killers for arthritic joints
-Soaking in a hot tub helps, and heating pads
And this in capsule form, the number 1 rated natural supplement for joint pain. As we age, our bodies don't produce as much:
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...yaluronic-acid

Old 02-07-2024, 07:52 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
-Soaking in a hot tub helps, and heating pads
And this in capsule form, the number 1 rated natural supplement for joint pain. As we age, our bodies don't produce as much:
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...yaluronic-acid
Good tip. The 'net says you can get this acid from natural sources--the top one is bone broth!

What is the best source of hyaluronic acid?

Adding bone broth to your diet is a great way to increase your intake of hyaluronic acid. Plus, foods such as soy products, oranges, almonds, kale, and sweet potatoes provide nutrients that may naturally ramp up your body's synthesis of hyaluronic acid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness