Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 03:15 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,734,377 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a place to have more of a social workout experience. I go to a traditional gym now with weights n treadmills and everyone keeps to themselves. There are group classes but they aren't offered that much. I have been looking into CrossFit as it seems more group like and supportive. I honestly am not a big fan of CrossFit but maybe I can be. Anyone have other ideas of social gyms or ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 03:38 PM

17,587 posts, read 39,311,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a place to have more of a social workout experience. I go to a traditional gym now with weights n treadmills and everyone keeps to themselves. There are group classes but they aren't offered that much. I have been looking into CrossFit as it seems more group like and supportive. I honestly am not a big fan of CrossFit but maybe I can be. Anyone have other ideas of social gyms or ideas?
Do you have YMCA there? I go to the Y here (Florida) and it is awesome. TONS of group classes of all kinds, and I make many friends there. There are things going on all the time. Plus it has all the traditional equipment as well. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:47 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,058,322 times
I applaud your search efforts! Some people try to take their social workouts to the weight room! They often are oblivious to those they inconvenience or outright don't care. I'll talk to people between sets sometimes, but for the most part keep to myself. I often have limited time and need to get as much as I can into that time!

Old 03-05-2017, 07:17 AM

9,546 posts, read 16,602,401 times
I'm also going to recommend the YMCA, only because the vibe usually is friendler. Sadly though YMCAs have gotten rather expensive. I had been going to an Anytime Fitness, there very small. I'm all for my workouts and will talk now and then. I think I'm rather helpful, if someone needed some help. I found the clientelle so unfriendly, and no gym comaraderi at all. Where this type of gym is so small, there has to be some level of friendliness. I would say Hello to members, and the greeting would be ignored. Even the staff rarely says hello. It was so depressing and unwelcoming I wanted to screen. Does anyone ever say Hello in this damn place.. I found I could not workout there, so I left after a year. I'm now at a Y. The members say hello and if someone needs a spot or help. Then people seem normal and help. Not like that strange weird Anytime Fitness location. So try a Y.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:08 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,801,311 times
Sometimes gyms offer small group workouts. Maybe you can inquire and see if you can join an already existing small group workout? I've been wondering about Craigslist but with all things CL it will probably be hit or miss.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:12 PM

13,733 posts, read 12,547,868 times
CrossFit is good for camradery. I would assume a spinning or yoga class is similar.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:10 PM

26,211 posts, read 21,722,463 times
If you run join a running club. Our run group has plenty of runs throughout the week some meeting at a bar in the afternoon run 3-6miles and then some beverages

Old 03-06-2017, 05:10 PM

2,647 posts, read 7,462,229 times
I work out a few days a week at the gym. I found earlier this year a trampoline dodgeball group that meets every other Friday night for 90 minutes, followed by drinks. Get a decent different type of workout in & meet new people

Old 03-06-2017, 06:06 PM

4,589 posts, read 5,477,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a place to have more of a social workout experience. Anyone have other ideas of social gyms or ideas?
Crossfit, running clubs, martial arts.

I've participated in all three of the above and can totally vouch for how great they are socially. I've been to at least 20+ weddings of people who met, dated, and fell in love doing the above activities. I think they are all absolutely perfect not only as great workouts, but as you asked for, great social workouts where you can meet really cool people.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:43 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,280,926 times
I have a membership at Trufusion and I love it. Good variety of classes for me and friendly members and staff. See if you have "Boutique" gyms in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness