Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:10 PM

647 posts, read 798,996 times

Advertisements

I got my first impressions about Slovakia from the Eurotrip movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Slovakia does have one thing in it's favour, it's not Russia.
Why Slovakia should be a part of Russia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:01 PM

4,640 posts, read 13,943,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safinator View Post
Small brother perception..

Why is Slovakia so unpopular compared to Czech?

Why is Belgium so unpopular compared to the Netherlands?

Why is portugal so unpopular compared to Spain?

Why is austria so unpopular compared to Germany?
There is objectively false logic with the comparison of analyzing.

Many people prefer Austria compared with Germany. Belgium and the Netherlands are equal. Portugal offers some of a cultural atmosphere not always found in Spain.

Outside of Czech Republic-Slovakia, is there many people believing unification of these countries together is better in the future?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Slovakia does have one thing in it's favour, it's not Russia.
A majority of people all over the World feel extremely mixed about Russia. Ambivalent love, and hate at the same time. Deep national culture, and history with endless fascination, yet some hidden tension or conflict depending on the area of Russia or exact topic. Nobody (Except ultra nationalist, patriotic Russians pro-governing institutions) wants the country of Russia to meddle with international affairs at all.

Slovakia doesn't cause those troubles with anyone, and is really incredibly underrated when visiting. Worth someone's time, especially if they are already in a surrounding country Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, or Western Ukraine. Vienna Austria is only 1 hour from Bratislava Slovakia with bus or car. Surreal how relatively exotic they are with such close geographic proximity of area.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Because its a small country in Eastern Europe, again its not in my periphery and most likely because its a very different culture and society to where I live.

I have no interest in visiting Eastern Europe and I really do not care that I have not visited Eastern Europe either. Sorry if I have offended you but its just the way I see Eastern Europe as a country out of my zone and quite often corrupt.

Occasionally Eastern Europe offers more of an ultimate adventure than Western Europe. These vast areas with lots of varying high diversity nations of Western Europe vs. Eastern Europe can't always end up vastly generalized with overall identification.

Depending on exact area of Eastern Europe, I sometimes prefer this zone compared with some of Western Europe. Give me Romania any day compared with the Netherlands, Denmark, or Ireland. All on individual preference of reality, and lifestyle.

Controversy occurs with what people categorize all of Eastern Europe. Some people think Czech Republic is not Eastern Europe at all while others believe there is an Eastern Europe theme. All countries of former Yugoslavia land: Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, and Macedonia are usually not viewed as Eastern European. Same with Albania, and almost never Greece.

According with my own definition, my favorite countries of Eastern Europe are Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, and Croatia.

I bet if you visited prime areas of Eastern Europe, you would love visiting, and not want to go back to Ireland right away. Some areas of Eastern Europe have recognizable minimal corruption(Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland, Estonia, Latvia) while some of Western Europe has their own fair share of problems(some of UK, some of France, ironically a bit of Sweden, some of Spain/Portugal/Italy). Corruption is relative. Corruption is everywhere, or nowhere(Depending on if someone is very optimistic or pessimistic cynical with life).

Old 06-21-2015, 02:37 PM

244 posts, read 363,243 times
[quote=;40089824]There is objectively false logic with the comparison of analyzing.

Quote:
Many people prefer Austria compared with Germany.
I think many people would just go to both, but Austria kinda seems like Germany's Canada
Quote:
Belgium and the Netherlands are equal.
Hm...I don't think so. I would think the Netherlands are more visited than Belgium. I think Amsterdam would be much more of a tourist attraction than Brussels, I can only really comment that from an American perspective though.

Quote:
Portugal offers some of a cultural atmosphere not always found in Spain.
Indeed, though Spain is certainly more of an attraction overall.

None of these are anywhere near as lopsided as Czech Republic vs Slovakia though. I assume in many parts of the world people simply do not know anything about Slovakia - I do not even know what it's main city is.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:38 PM

647 posts, read 798,996 times
Slovakia is a poor and boring country, I even don't know what to do there.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:46 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,571,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
Slovakia is a poor and boring country, I even don't know what to do there.
Depending of taste. If you want mountain jungle, castles perched on rocks in this jungle, medieval towns, Slovakia is for you. It seems you either know little about this country, either are not interested in nature and history.

Don't believe Eurotrip movie, the country is nothing like that.

Is more like this:

Old 06-22-2015, 03:42 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
I think many people would just go to both, but Austria kinda seems like Germany's Canada
Germany receives 31.5 million tourists a year, Austria receives 24.8 million. Considering that Germany has about ten times the population of Austria that isn't too shabby.

Some other numbers:

France: 84.7
USA: 69.8
Spain: 60.7
UK: 31.2
Canada: 16.5
Netherlands: 12.7
Czech Republic: 9.0
Switzerland: 8.9

Old 06-22-2015, 08:05 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,893,355 times
One word : HOSTEL

Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post

Hm...I don't think so. I would think the Netherlands are more visited than Belgium. I think Amsterdam would be much more of a tourist attraction than Brussels, I can only really comment that from an American perspective though.

None of these are anywhere near as lopsided as Czech Republic vs Slovakia though. I assume in many parts of the world people simply do not know anything about Slovakia - I do not even know what it's main city is.
Austria and Germany are not quite identical nations at all, even with the same common language of German. There are lots of reasons why they are separate countries. Austria carved a unique identity around modern times. Many tourists think Austria is overall a more attractive tourism destination compared with Germany. Nobody ought to ever say any condescending remarks on Austria vs. Germany. And when people get to know Austria more, they usually end up preferring Austria rather than Germany.

The Netherlands just seems more accepting of foreigners, and easier to catch an airplane there.
Reality seems to demonstrate Belgium has the more wow awe inspiring dramatic breathtaking architecture
compared with Netherlands. Belgium is reaching an emerging tourism destination status of the future while the Netherlands might stagnate a bit.

Well, Czech Republic, and Slovakia was the same country a very long time. Slovakia land was rebellious, and didn't want Czech control because this area wasn't getting enough benefits compared with Czech lands. Slovakia was also much more religious minded while Czech Republic relatively atheist. Slovakia is more mysterious, and ultra Eastern European. Crossing the border between Austria, and Slovakia was a phenomenal experience, and a valuable use of my time visiting the stark contrast of overall national scenery in such close geographic distance between these countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe