Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
That is funny about the Levis. I remember my mom would buy us Farah jeans. Maybe they were cheaper.
You're from a different generation - probably the same age as my kids.

The era I was referring to was before Farah became a local brand name, much less an international one. I'm not certain of the date, but think that Farah began manufacturing pants in El Paso in the 1960s. I know they had a "factory outlet" store for a while adjacent to Bassett Center in the 1970s.

When I was a kid there were basically Levis and Lees and some cheaper brand jeans. Both Levis and Lees had a distinctive leather patch at the belt line with the brand name clearly displayed. When I was old enough to buy my own Levis, there was no "pre-shrink" option and you had to be sure and buy them at least one size larger than you would other pants to allow for shrinkage the first time they were washed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 03:23 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Let's talk about something other than funeral homes.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
LOL, Rich. That Farah Outlet was much later, if I remember. This was back in the 50's and 60's. We lived in the Clardy Fox area and Fox Plaza was a fairly nice shopping center. J.C. Penny's and Parkins Cafeteria. I think there was a Piggly Wiggly there as well. The orginal Pancho's Buffet was down Alemeda and you could have all you could eat for $1. There was more quanity than quality, in my opinion. Shortly after that, they moved out to McRae. Then there was one on Mesa across from Resler but it didn't last long, as I remember. I wonder if anyone remembers La Paloma down in Second Ward. You could get a big Mexican Plate for 85 cents. LOL. And they had the BEST flour tortillas. They later moved out to Dyer st.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I wonder if anyone remembers La Paloma down in Second Ward. You could get a big Mexican Plate for 85 cents. LOL. And they had the BEST flour tortillas. They later moved out to Dyer st.
You've done it again. La Paloma is the restaurant I was trying to recall in an earlier thread. Thanks for remembering it.

Two other favorites from my younger days were La Hacienda near Smeltertown and El Central in Juarez just across the bridge from downtown.

I "always" ordered the enchilada plate at La Hacienda, served "flat" style (like a stack of hotcakes) with two "easy over" fried eggs on top. At El Central I usually ordered a peeled mango for dessert, served in a large stem glass on a bed of crushed ice, already skewered on a fork for easy un-messy eating!

When I was working at Chevron and married with two children, we were buying our first "new" home on Hunter Road in the original Ranchland subdivision. We were in the 1100 block, which was the last block before desert sandhills. The freeway hadn't even begun construction at the time, but was completed by the time we moved to the Eastwood area several years later. We paid $9,000 for the Hunter home and $15,500 for the one on Daisy Street in the Eastwood area. The one on hunter now has an appraised value of over $90,000.

Price's Dairy was still in operation where the lower valley branch of the Community College now sits, on the west side of Hunter Rd.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 PM

Yes, I remember when people thought that houses in Cielo Vista Park ( the newer section) were $29K and that was expensive!! My aunt and her first husband ( he was an SOB) bought a house in the '50s on Benson. It was pretty small but that is what they could afford. The Hacienda was open until a few years ago. Someone said that the help quit there and started Amigos on Montana. Hacienda has had some bad luck. Too bad. Great food. I sort of remember there was a Farmers Dairy on North Loop where that Prices is now? Prices has their plant on Piedras next to the freeway. If you recall, they had a store in the front(where the tanks are now) and you could buy ice cream cones for a nickel a dip. We used to go there when I was a kid in the evenings especially. Then came along Baskin Robbins which was a dime a dip. When it went up to fifteen cents, my father started calling B and R "gyp a dip". LOL Remember when Misenhimers first went into Bassett Center? You could get a Banana Heaven for 65 cents. We thought we were really living it up in those days. It was a quaint ice cream parlor.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, I remember when people thought that houses in Cielo Vista Park ( the newer section) were $29K and that was expensive!!
We paid $30k for a newly constructed 2-story, 3,000 sq. ft. home on Moonlight (just above and west of Magnetic) in Park Foothills in 1969! That's the last house I lived in before leaving El Paso for good in 1976. I forget what the house sold for, but of course it had appreciated considerably by the time we sold it.

Quote:
If you recall, they had a store in the front(where the tanks are now) and you could buy ice cream cones for a nickel a dip.
I don't know what the plant on Piedras looks like now, but remember the ice cream sales and we too often stopped in there, as did most El Paso families at one time. Farmer's Dairy was actually off of North Loop when I lived on Hunter Rd. Price's dairy disappeared from the scene when the new community college campus was developed. Borden's Dairy and their processing plant and ice cream sales room was located on N. Mesa just south of "the crossroads." at the time we're discussing here.

Speaking of which, Blue Bell ice cream just this past year became available here in New Mexico - a memorable event for me, who grew addicted to Blue Bell when I last lived in Texas (Austin) in the 1990s.

Last edited by joqua; 12-02-2010 at 08:58 AM..

Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor 13 View Post
HIGH!Lonesome..So, what is the Lucky Boy recipe ? Can you share with me? I promise I won't tell a soul!

I remember the two alligators there. You are right, they would just lay there enjoying the sun rays. When my mom and I were waiting for a transfer bus, we would always go watch them. Is the Conney Island foot long place still there?
No..Coney Island is not there where it used to be across the street from the placita. IT is now a parking lot...I once remembered that it was moved TO Mesa Street..by UTEP..but at this time..I do NOT even know if it is still there..since I do not live in my beloved hometown at this time..If anyone knows the answer to this..please let us know...!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 PM

We were happy to get Blue Bell here in ELP a few years ago. We used to go visit my aunt and uncle in Horseshoe Bay near Marble Falls and Blue Bell had a nice place you could sit out under a big live oak and eat ice cream cones. That was the first time I had ever heard of Blue Bell. I remember that there was quite a lot of interesting businesses in the Tiqua area that we would patronize. Maybe a hobby shop and other stuff. I think there is still a Leo's down there ? The valley was more rural and not so crowded as it is now.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
If anyone knows the answer to this..please let us know...!
Here is the listing on the internet for it:
Quote:

Coney Island
4224 N Mesa St
El Paso, TX 79902-1104 map
Phone: (915) 544-4224
The map link places it on the east side of Mesa, just north of the intersection with Executive Blvd.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 9,835 times
Joqua...The movie theatre on Alameda was called the Valley Theatre. I lived only a couple of blocks from it and went there often. I remember that the BIG HUNK candy bars were just 5 cents each. Thank you all for the wonderful trip down memory lane. I lived in EP during the '50's to 1980. What a great place to grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso