Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:50 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,172,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Wasn't there the Martin Funeral Home on either Mesa or Oregon that had pillars in front and a blue light on them that was taken out by the freeway?
I know the name "Martin Funeral Home" but can't recall more than that. My family (big-time El Pasoans on both mom and dad's side) always used Harding and Orr. Both are still in business.

Quote:
I played my first piano recital at the El Paso Piano Co. on Franklin st.
I remember that too. I played Clarinet and used to buy my reeds and such at a music store in downtown, but don't recall the store name.

Quote:
BTW, we have that Frank Mangan book. Really interesting, especially to my daughter.
One of the most fascinating reads about old El Paso, to me, was "The Gentlemen's Club." My dad often told the story about how he delivered the local newspapers to the red light district and how "nice" the ladies were to him whenever he collected payment. Fortunately, neither his nor his brother's names appear in that book!

My dad and his brothers attended the "original" El Paso High School, located in the general area of the former Hotel Dieu Hospital. I too attended El Paso High School where it now stands, and had at least one teacher that remembered teaching my dad in the old school.

My grandparent's family home still exists, in a much deteriorated state, at 503 Prospect St. My granddad, the 28th dentist to be licensed by Texas, would walk to and from his downtown office from home. He even walked home, had lunch and returned to his office most days. I also had an aunt who was a dentist with her office next to the Cortez Hotel. One of the few women dentists in the USA at the time, she lived her adult life in an apt. across from the park next to the public library, and she never owned a vehicle since she had everything needed within walking distance. My maternal grandparents operated a dairy farm adjacent to the old "Cowboy Park" race track in what was then the "Lower Valley." Their family home burned to the ground sometime around 1980.

In my pre-teens, I delivered BOTH daily papers - Times and Herald Post - to a large segment of Kern Place. As a teenager, I worked 7 nights a week at the Fiesta Drive In on N. Mesa, when it sat alone out in the boonies. Later in my teens I was the shipping clerk for Bolander's Barber/Beauty Supply on Oregon, right across the street from the original Sal's BBQ, where I often bought my lunch. I worked one Xmas as a temp mail carrier from the main downtown post office and I must have been no older than 16 at the time. I attended UTEP when it was Texas Western College. My real working career began at age 18, when I was hired at the Chevron office complex at the refinery on Trowbridge (now Western Refining), leading to a 32-year career in petroleum refining, both domestic and foreign.

I retired to Ruidoso, where I've lived since 1997.

Last edited by joqua; 11-28-2010 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 01:21 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,142,312 times
Not important, but Martin Funeral home owns Harding Orr.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,867,964 times
My family always used to use Harding and Orr on Montana. Grandmother on mom's side had her service at the H and O on Pershing in the mid 90's. It was really run down. I personally think the one on Montana is not what it was. Del Angel owns all of them now, right?? Dignity is a corporate business. We had my mom's service at Martin's on Resler. It was nice. Sal's BBQ was terrific. I think you were talking about the Melody Shop downtown ( maybe on Texas St)?? The Harmony Shop was located in the El Paso National Bank building on the ground floor. They moved there after they had a store in Lakeside. They really were service oriented. Molly Shapiro owned it and she would order music for you, (or LP records) and they would deliever!! She was quite a gal!! She was SO encouraging to young musicians. Now a days, you have to order all music from out of town music stores. Downtown was really something in those days. It was alive, especially on Saturdays. Now I only go down there to go to the Plaza Theater. Nothing much interest me. BTW, I remember the Fiesta. It WAS out in the boonies, although I had friends that lived in Coronado Hills that drove Mesa back when you had to not drive VW bugs there, otherwise the wind would blow you over. LOL

Old 11-28-2010, 05:33 PM

I don't know the name of the parent company. Whoever owns Martin, also owns Harding Orr.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,172,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
I don't know the name of the parent company. Whoever owns Martin, also owns Harding Orr.
Actually, it's been called Harding Orr McDaniel for some years. Odd that they don't have their own web page - or maybe I just didn't search correctly.

Another thought on old El Paso culture. When I was a boy in elementary school, most of us wore "LEVIS" and a few outsiders wore "LEES." But woe be it to the new kid from "back east" who came to school his first day in cords, or worse yet, KNICKERS! Not the British knickers, but the knee high pants called knickers that were popular boys wear "back east." I don't know if other stores in El Paso sold LEVIS, but I always bought mine at The Popular.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,557,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I know the name "Martin Funeral Home" but can't recall more than that. My family (big-time El Pasoans on both mom and dad's side) always used Harding and Orr. Both are still in business.

I remember that too. I played Clarinet and used to buy my reeds and such at a music store in downtown, but don't recall the store name.

One of the most fascinating reads about old El Paso, to me, was "The Gentlemen's Club." My dad often told the story about how he delivered the local newspapers to the red light district and how "nice" the ladies were to him whenever he collected payment. Fortunately, neither his nor his brother's names appear in that book!

My dad and his brothers attended the "original" El Paso High School, located in the general area of the former Hotel Dieu Hospital. I too attended El Paso High School where it now stands, and had at least one teacher that remembered teaching my dad in the old school.

My grandparent's family home still exists, in a much deteriorated state, at 503 Prospect St. My granddad, the 28th dentist to be licensed by Texas, would walk to and from his downtown office from home. He even walked home, had lunch and returned to his office most days. I also had an aunt who was a dentist with her office next to the Cortez Hotel. One of the few women dentists in the USA at the time, she lived her adult life in an apt. across from the park next to the public library, and she never owned a vehicle since she had everything needed within walking distance. My maternal grandparents operated a dairy farm adjacent to the old "Cowboy Park" race track in what was then the "Lower Valley." Their family home burned to the ground sometime around 1980.

In my pre-teens, I delivered BOTH daily papers - Times and Herald Post - to a large segment of Kern Place. As a teenager, I worked 7 nights a week at the Fiesta Drive In on N. Mesa, when it sat alone out in the boonies. Later in my teens I was the shipping clerk for Bolander's Barber/Beauty Supply on Oregon, right across the street from the original Sal's BBQ, where I often bought my lunch. I worked one Xmas as a temp mail carrier from the main downtown post office and I must have been no older than 16 at the time. I attended UTEP when it was Texas Western College. My real working career began at age 18, when I was hired at the Chevron office complex at the refinery on Trowbridge (now Western Refining), leading to a 32-year career in petroleum refining, both domestic and foreign.

I retired to Ruidoso, where I've lived since 1997.

I lived in 620 Prospect St. from 67 to about 70. My parents lived there longer though. I was a nice area.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
I heard the coney island reopend near UTEP ,anyone been there, and if so do the hotdogs taste the same???
The Coney Island moved to Mesa St. close to UTEP but it closed down I would say about 3 years ago. My loved eating there when she was a teen and it was located across the street from San Jacinto Plaza. They were still the same when the moved close to UTEP. She still talks about them.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
The Coney Island moved to Mesa St. close to UTEP but it closed down I would say about 3 years ago. My loved eating there when she was a teen and it was located across the street from San Jacinto Plaza. They were still the same when the moved close to UTEP. She still talks about them.
No. He is not talking about that one. As I replied earlier, the daughter of the original Coney Island owner opened up a new Coney Island near Executive.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
No. He is not talking about that one. As I replied earlier, the daughter of the original Coney Island owner opened up a new Coney Island near Executive.
Thanks for the information. The one that moved from downtown to Mesa is the one I knew about. I just may take my wife to the one near Executive, take care.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,867,964 times
That is funny about the Levis. I remember my mom would buy us Farah jeans. Maybe they were cheaper. I also remember she made us wear them WITHOUT washing them first. I always got red on the inside of my legs because they were so stiff. LOL Didn't have my first pair of Levi's until I went to undergrad in LA. Then I bought them at the GAP. Button flys. I don't remember eating at the Coney Island across from the Plaza but I sure remember it being there. There was the St. Regis Hotel next to the Mills Building and some nightclub bar in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso