Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:36 PM

639 posts, read 1,043,100 times

Advertisements

Heres another ghost story that was told to me and it sure made alot of sense.
In my culture it is said that when someone dies unexpectedly like in an auto accident or unexpected death that they dont know that they have died so the spirit wonders around sometimes appearing in real life and asking for forgivness, in Spanish it's called "Penando"

When I was in San Diego for bootcamp one of my Ysleta Indian freinds got killed one Friday night after a football game against Jefferson, my freind was on the football team and everybody knew him.

So on this special night my friend was out celebrating and joy riding when the freind that he was with crashed his pickup truck into a telephone pole on Southside Drive, approximately around one block from his home, the impact of the crash knocked both of them out uncontious, the driver of the truck was the first to regain contiousness and he took off running before the police arrived.

My freind remained knocked out when he too awoke and realized what happened, the telephone pole had broke in two and half of it landed on top of the truck, so when my freind decided to make a run for it he open the door and step out but he steped on live electric wires killing him on the spot, era 1976.

About 4 years later late one night, there was some man that was on his way to work, he work over at the Pan American Industrial Center just at the other end of Southside Drive, when all in a sudden some stranger young kid flaged him down, the kid looked like he had been in a car accident, so the man asked him what was wrong and the kid told him that he had just been in an auto accident and he asked the man if he could give him a ride home, the man said where do you live, and the kid told him around the block.

So the man drives this injured kid home and tells him wait in the car I'll go get your parents, so he went up to the front door and knocked on the door, and my freind mothers answered the door, the man told her, senora I have your son in my car he claims that he was in an auto accident so I brought him home to you.

My freinds mother aked my son? the man answered your son, she said well I only have two sons one is in prison and the other one is dead, so they both went to the mans car and no one was in it.

These are El Paso ghost stories because they (ghost) do exist, my freind was young and he died young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 06:05 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Good stories HighLonesome.......

Yeah it sure makes you wonder about that kind of stuff..

About 10 years ago i went to the Old Cemetary in the Ghost town of White Oaks about 10 miles north of Carrizozo and while i didn't experience any ghosts it was very eeiry as i would not go out there at night if you catch my drift.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:24 PM

I catch your drift 6 FOOT 3, the cemetary is the place to be, especially if it's in your own backyard, my grandparents had this big house made of rock fronting North Loop Rd, behind their house was cotton fields for days but between my grandparents house and their garage that was seperated by a rock wall with an arch in the middle their was a spot in the corner where my grandmother alledgely burries two babies, so was the story, I use to stay over my grandparents house alot it was like my own vacation home away from my parents and one day I was digging in that particular spot, and my grandmother stoped me, she did'nt say why but later on it was revealed that back in those days people could bury relatives in their yards.
I have yet to find out who these babies were but yet when I went to my first funeral, I became fasinated with them and cemetarys, I use to plant crosses all over my grandparents backyard, funny thing is the crosses idea came from my first trip to Las Cruces LOL, I was a crazy but a fun kid.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM

There was some cool headstones on the graves as alot of them were miners killed in an 1890's? Mine Explosion that was listed on a lot of them. Also Susan McSween grave was there as she was friends with Billy the Kid and also the largest Cattle Baroness in the Unted States in the 1890's-1900's.

White Oaks Cemetery

Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Wow! thats a cool resting place for the dead, funny come to think about it I happen to live about half a block from an ancient cemetary myself, you can walk right by it and not even know it's there, but go inside the church's courtyard and there's this cemetary thats older than the American Revolution, some headstones date something like 1718

I tried to find some websites for you by no luck but you can still look it up, it's called Mission Dolores Cemetary, I also think theres a few Indians burried below my building as well.

Ahh! Those INDIANS, got to love those Indians.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:24 AM

HighLonesome are you part Ysleta Indian?? Anyway i'm sure you know that the Isleta Indians south of Albuquerque are the cousins of the Ysleta's in El Paso. In remembering my New Mexico history wasn't the Spanards who drove them to El Paso but stayed in the region as thats why the split if i'm correct.

Anyway it's kinda a big deal up here as the Acoma pueblo indians hate Onate as they still remember when he ordered all the males to have a foot cut off and so usually on that anniverary someone will cut off the foot of Onate's statue up here i beleive in the downtown area.

Lots of history in NM and El Paso......

Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,215 times
Wow, some great stories in here! Particularly the one about the teen auto accident.. Keep 'em coming!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,216,762 times
I remember when i was young, i used to live on San Antonio St, by Raynor and San Marcial in South Central El Paso, it was a nice neighborhhood, had a real neighborly vibe to it. Around the summer of 86, all the elderly people in the neighborhood, started passing away [great grandmas & grandpas of my friends], mostly due to old age. My neighbor directly towards the right of my house died in her sleep, another man, 3 houses down from my moms house, died a week later. My neighbor to the left of me died 3 months later after them, and my friend Peaches Gramps died like 2 wks after that. In total 8 elderly people died that summer, including my great grandma [Julia], she was 94 yrs old when she died. Anyway to make a long story short, it was kinda creepy, but none of us were too scared to walk or play around the neighborhood. One day though i was walking home like at 9 o clock from my friend Cesars house. Suddenly I passed through an old green abandoned house, that was close to my moms house. It used to belong to my friend Richard and his mom. I for some reason looked through the window, and with the reflection of the street light i saw an old man with a cowboy hat, looking out the window rocking on an old rocking chair. I got scared, cuz even though, i knew their wasnt anything there, clearly i could see the old man. I ran home and told my mom about it, she also got scared, she said that Richards grandpa used to always sit by the window and watch all the kids play outside, and that he was always wearing an old cowboy hat! The funny thing, is i never met this man, he had died 2 yrs before i was even born.....

Old 01-30-2008, 06:02 PM

6 FOOT 3, I was born in Ysleta and my birth certificate says, Place of Birth, Ysleta Texas
further more one of my grandmothers was Apache from New Mexico, I know the Isleta New Mexico and Ysleta Texas story, very interesting that both El Paso and Albuquerque have Ysleta and Isleta and they both are related.

In Ysleta the Indians are called Tigua Indians, very old tribe, but then again you asked me if I'm an Ysleta Indian and the answer is ABSOLUTELY!!!! you bet I am, our motto is, Once An Indian Aways An Indian.LOL

Unfortunately Onate ordered to have peoples feet cut off, and people never forget atrocities committed against them and they pass them on from generation to generation then they become legends, but sadly in some cases they are true events and stories.

The scariest thing that happened to me was going to Juarez one fine Saturday morning a freind picked me up unexpectedly then we ended up in Juarez, all I had on was levis pants a white T shirt, barefooted and no I D.

Gettin back was not easy at all, especially when the customs inspector asked me where I was born, and I answered Ysleta Texas.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:33 PM

Wow thats cool that the Headstones date to 1718 HighLonesome ! I bet there's good stories also about Concordia Cemetery over the years with all those old graves.

HighLonesome.....do the Ysleta's speak the same ancient tongue as the Isleta's which i believe is Tewa or Tiwa if i'm correct on that. I'm sure spanish is well spoken in Ysleta but i always wondered about their ancient tongue if it's as the other Pueblo tribes in Northern New Mexico.

Anyway interesting stuff........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso