Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 03:31 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a different Silicon Valley tech company - one that has become a household name in the past year to anyone who follows AI. That have thousands of job openings, at least 860+ in the USA, including

Senior Infrastructure Software Engineer - GPU Clusters
Senior Infrastructure Performance and Development Engineer
Senior Software Engineer, Aerial, Performance
Senior Materials Planner
Senior Software Engineer, Aerial, Digital Twin
Senior System Software Engineer - Open Source Python Ecosystem
Partner Sales Trainer
Sales Enablement Manager, Partner Ecosystem
SAP Developer
GenAI ITSM Tech Lead
Senior Technical Program Manager, IT Infrastructure
Senior Capacity Manger
Senior Systems Software Engineer - C++ - DCGM
Principle Firmware Engineer - Data Center Server Management
Account Manager
Senior Graphics Profiler Tools Software Engineer
Delivery Driver & Materials Handler
Staff Software Engineer - RPA
Senior Developer Technology Engineer
Senior Data Center Engineer - Telemetry
Senior Software Product Manager - Retrieval for Large Language Models
Software Engineer, Product - Autonomous Vehicles
Senior Technical Writer
Senior Cloud Software Engineer

The list goes on and on and on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 05:18 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
When I hear stories that the job market is NOT that great for many people making "decent" salaries, I absolutely believe it. However, of course, it does have a lot of do with the type of work one does and where one lives, of course.

People over 50 have always -- or at least so I have heard -- had difficulty finding a good job once they lose their present one, but it does make me wonder if this situation has become worse in the last few years?

FWIW, my personal story follows:

My husband had basically the same salary for about 12 years, from 2008 to 2020. That sounds bad, but what happened is this: In 2008, at age 52, he got a promotion and a very significant increase in pay. A year later, he got another raise, but was told that he was at the top of the scale for his job title. Subsequently, the company was having severe financial problems, and he did not get another raise before the company went out of business in 2013. After that, he had a lot of difficulty finding another job that would give him the same title and utilize his skills at even close to his previous salary. He finally found another position that paid about 5% less that his previous job, and he only got two more token raises until he was laid off due to COVID in 2020, and that company also went out of business shortly thereafter. When we retired to Wisconsin, he was only able to obtain one short-term temp job, and it wasn't until about two years ago that he finally accepted the fact that he was retired. What "saved" us was the fact that he was earning a high salary meaning that his retirement income would be good, we had a significant amount in our personal savings account, and we had a lot of equity in our home so we could pay cash for our new retirement home in Wisconsin.

In short, my husband would have loved to continue to work for another two years, but at his high rate of pay and the fact that he was in his 60's, he could not find anyone to hire him!

Last edited by katharsis; 03-15-2024 at 05:36 PM..

Old 03-16-2024, 08:52 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I think the job postings that aren't hiring is a combination of

Sometimes companies put a job posting to feel out how big a pool of candidates they can access in order to determine pay raises for current employees.

Sometimes companies fill the job and just don't remove the listing.

Sometimes they set auto filters so tight that only candidates that meet very specific criteria are looked at. Sometimes that can even include specific key words they are looking for.

On a bigger picture, for sure all the jobs created in the last 3 years have gone entirely to illegal and legal immigrants. This has a down up effect where employees are filling jobs for less pay.

AI is going to create a huge disruption in the coming years. Any job that requires ingesting large amounts of data is going to be filled by AI. They already have AI doing better than most people at many jobs. They are really close to AGI (if they haven't already reached it) and once that happens the ability of AI especially when mated with a robot and the latest Nvidia chipsets....I can't think of job hardly that AI can't replace. With the collaboration between Google, Amazon, OpenAi and Nvidia recently announced to create that very product, I think our entire lifes are going to change closer to 5 years than 10.
All true.

My daughter is an english teacher and she applied for another position. The first step was for her to make a video of herself to be screened by AI. Very much like how resumes are screened by computer key words, videos are screening potential employees. She had no idea of what the AI was looking for - skin color, vocabulary and accent, weight, etc. All those things that are illegal for an employer to look at - AI can skirt around.

Believe it or not, some high schools think english teachers shouldn't correct papers for content or grammatical mistakes. Instead all corrections and grading should be done by AI.

An issue now is with high school students using AI to write their term papers. While it's easy for her to spot, in another couple of years AI will be so advanced and it will change society. It will be possible that students will not learn how organize thoughts, form an argument or to write a paragraph. IMHO, our ability to remain a democracy where citizens analyze news and opinions will be affected.

Old 03-16-2024, 03:46 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVulcan View Post
Just to reiterate, I am not looking for job hunting advice. I've only applied to a handful of places (maybe one a month at best) myself and am not worried because I have a job. I am hyper focused on just places that offer at least what I am making now, have growth potential (AI/offshoring won't replace easily), and seem like they are places I would love working. I could do a lot more/be a lot more aggressive in my searching but I am being picky because I can afford to be picky. I brought up my searching only because it's why I am noticing things.

This topic is just something I started thinking about mainly because I have friends who are struggling to find work. And because, as I've been looking, I've noticed the pay for most jobs is absurdly low for the times (same salaries as 20-25 years ago). There are lots of jobs out there, if you want to work in the 2024 economy at 1999 wages. I see jobs out there that were my out of college starter jobs offering exactly what I used to make way back when. It just seems like something is off.

For what it's worth, those friends looking for work include two that live in the DC metro area and one who lives in New Jersey, near Philly. They've been applying to hundreds of jobs each and those are highly populated areas. And because it was brought up, technically, one of them is an immigrant. He's a US citizen now, but he is from Bandladesh originally. I think it's actually hurting him. He's an IT guy and really smart, but his English isn't the best.

The people in the article I shared have also been looking and applying to hundreds of jobs. Some have moved to different cities and, at the end, one woman who was laid off, after applying to hundreds of jobs took one that was a big paycut for her because she needed work.
I have heard there is a recession, but mostly in blue states. Friends from my former blue state said layoffs there are as bad as 2008.

Old 03-16-2024, 03:47 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
When I hear stories that the job market is NOT that great for many people making "decent" salaries, I absolutely believe it. However, of course, it does have a lot of do with the type of work one does and where one lives, of course.

People over 50 have always -- or at least so I have heard -- had difficulty finding a good job once they lose their present one, but it does make me wonder if this situation has become worse in the last few years?

FWIW, my personal story follows:

My husband had basically the same salary for about 12 years, from 2008 to 2020. That sounds bad, but what happened is this: In 2008, at age 52, he got a promotion and a very significant increase in pay. A year later, he got another raise, but was told that he was at the top of the scale for his job title. Subsequently, the company was having severe financial problems, and he did not get another raise before the company went out of business in 2013. After that, he had a lot of difficulty finding another job that would give him the same title and utilize his skills at even close to his previous salary. He finally found another position that paid about 5% less that his previous job, and he only got two more token raises until he was laid off due to COVID in 2020, and that company also went out of business shortly thereafter. When we retired to Wisconsin, he was only able to obtain one short-term temp job, and it wasn't until about two years ago that he finally accepted the fact that he was retired. What "saved" us was the fact that he was earning a high salary meaning that his retirement income would be good, we had a significant amount in our personal savings account, and we had a lot of equity in our home so we could pay cash for our new retirement home in Wisconsin.

In short, my husband would have loved to continue to work for another two years, but at his high rate of pay and the fact that he was in his 60's, he could not find anyone to hire him!
Ageism is the only ism that's now ok.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:47 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
1.5M laid off in February, plus many firms have announced potential layoffs later in the year. Many folks laid off won't show up in the employment numbers for months, my guess would be late Summer and into Fall the U-3 numbers will start looking scary.

Old 03-17-2024, 04:17 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
1.5M laid off in February, plus many firms have announced potential layoffs later in the year. Many folks laid off won't show up in the employment numbers for months, my guess would be late Summer and into Fall the U-3 numbers will start looking scary.
Great information. My question is what was the average pay and age of the layoffs and what is the average pay and age of the new hires. You could have a significant number of mid-level employees over the age of 40 with pensions laid off. A million new minimum wage jobs for high school graduates can't replace the jobs of mid-level employees lost.

Old 03-17-2024, 09:37 PM

92 posts, read 58,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'm looking at a different Silicon Valley tech company - one that has become a household name in the past year to anyone who follows AI. That have thousands of job openings, at least 860+ in the USA, including

Senior Infrastructure Software Engineer - GPU Clusters
Senior Infrastructure Performance and Development Engineer
Senior Software Engineer, Aerial, Performance

The list goes on and on and on...

Try to apply, you will see is that most of them are just old posts HR has never bothered to take down. HR departments have been in full chaos for years now it seems and the bigger the company the more likely that is.

There are also posts that get reposted month after month, year after year because the position is not an urgent hire and the HR dept is just perpetually fishing for a candidate who will accept low pay.

Last edited by ocean900; 03-17-2024 at 09:52 PM..

Old 03-18-2024, 09:07 AM

78 posts, read 77,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean900 View Post
Try to apply, you will see is that most of them are just old posts HR has never bothered to take down. HR departments have been in full chaos for years now it seems and the bigger the company the more likely that is.

There are also posts that get reposted month after month, year after year because the position is not an urgent hire and the HR dept is just perpetually fishing for a candidate who will accept low pay.

Well, that and they are all IT jobs. I only know one person looking for an IT job (I am not IT, but I think people assume I am for some reason). I get job interviews, but everyone wants to pay less than what I make now. I am willing to take less for a more secure job at a place I love, but not a whole lot less. My IT friend has had a few interviews, but no offers. The other two are also not IT people so that list is meaningless to three of us.

Old 03-18-2024, 10:04 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVulcan View Post
Well, that and they are all IT jobs. I only know one person looking for an IT job (I am not IT, but I think people assume I am for some reason). I get job interviews, but everyone wants to pay less than what I make now. I am willing to take less for a more secure job at a place I love, but not a whole lot less. My IT friend has had a few interviews, but no offers. The other two are also not IT people so that list is meaningless to three of us.
In a relative sense, the job market is as good or better than its ever been. Maybe these things are true, but they were true in the past too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics