Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 10:59 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

How do they track moving people? Aren't they tracking only people renting Van Lines?
So what about all those who rent U-Haul, or just load their own trucks or vans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 07:13 AM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That was an honest question. And until you look it up you won't believe it.

Big cities have been home to the poor, very poor and destitute, reliable blue voters today, for thousands of years far back into the old world. Ergo your big point fades to zero.
It's telling you ask about just 1 state of the 4 I mentioned about whether they have had any statewide democrats recently. Even though I said they were red states. But that has nothing to do with people moving to the cities and suburbs anyway. Thus, another deflection.

Old 07-19-2023, 11:39 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How do they track moving people? Aren't they tracking only people renting Van Lines?
So what about all those who rent U-Haul, or just load their own trucks or vans?
United Van Lines is by far the largest moving company. So their study is valid and provides a representative sample for the customer base that it serves, namely people who hire others to pack and move their stuff. Thus, the basis for the study is likely to skew older and more prosperous than the total universe of all people who move.

Last edited by bus man; 07-19-2023 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-19-2023, 11:47 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Here is a map showing detailed, precinct-level 2020 election results:
https://ufl.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...c848482bc81fbd

Yes, Nashville is blue, but the surrounding suburban areas are various shades of pink. I did say the suburbs were purple, not blue.

But TN is the most conservative of the ones I mentioned. In the other states - Texas, Georgia and NC - many of the suburbs are flat-out blue. Even in Dallas, for example, the former republican bastions of Plano and Richardson are mostly light blue. Heck, even Frisco is about 50-50.
I don't think we disagree on the overall point, that many suburban areas are purple. I would just point out that the Nashville metro area (excluding Davidson County), specifically, is solidly red. Most of the counties in this metro went for Trump by at least two-thirds, if not three-fourths. The lowest margin in any county (again, excluding Davidson) was 55 percent. Even Williamson, by far the most affluent county in Tennessee, went red by almost 63 percent.

If nothing else, this shows that Nashville's suburbs are a lot more conservative than those of most places. And yet, the population has been skyrocketing. Maybe this just means that conservatives from other areas have decided to congregate in the Nashville metro. I don't know.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:45 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
People tend to go where the jobs are, where COL is lower, can get a bigger home for the money, etc.

California, Connecticut, and New York are very high COL, as is Massachusetts, so it's logical that retirees and young families would be exiting these states in significant numbers.

Florida and Texas have been big destinations of middle income people and retirees. Texas, in particular, is booming economically, with major corps. setting up shop in Austin and environs. Oil is still a thing as well.

Arizona has been a huge retirement destination for decades and I am confused as to why it doesn't show up on 007's list (I don't have the patience to navigate through that Forbes clickbait article that makes you reload for each state).

In terms of fastest growing states whether via relocation or intrinsic birth rate, Arizona does show up. #1 on this list is Utah, because of their high birth rate.

Arizona also benefits from its proximity to southern California; there are millions of ex-Californians there, enjoying the much cheaper housing prices. Our next door neighbors in north Glendale were from SoCal, a middle class family of four, probably the typical non-retiree demographic for inbound moves.

Old 07-20-2023, 02:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
What I want to know who is moving into the expensive states like CT. Plus when these people "move out" meaning their stuff; are they cutting all ties, and have no more assets like rental property or some business in those states they left?

Seems like they just want lower taxes in state to live or do more business in. The states they leave are still ok enough to have assets in.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 07-20-2023 at 02:46 PM..

Old 07-20-2023, 05:02 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What I want to know who is moving into the expensive states like CT. Plus when these people "move out" meaning their stuff; are they cutting all ties, and have no more assets like rental property or some business in those states they left?

Seems like they just want lower taxes in state to live or do more business in. The states they leave are still ok enough to have assets in.
For years I've been reading about young families moving out of Connecticut because of high COL and lack of opportunity.

The state legislature is uniparty and has raised taxes (not sure about the past 2-3 years but certainly in the past 10 years) even as the big insurance companies moved out of Hartford for warmer climes and new industries failed to move in.

It's a downward spiral; once begun, it's very difficult to turn things around.

To me, Connecticut is just a place to drive through on the way to New York. It has nothing. Sorry, Connecticutians.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:03 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Florida is not in the top 10 of inbound states? Neither is Texas? This seems very strange to me. Enough so that I don't trust that this list has any relevance.
Let me remind you that the info is from an expensive moving company. Most real Texans move in a pickup truck and U-Haul trailer.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:16 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Let me remind you that the info is from an expensive moving company. Most real Texans move in a pickup truck and U-Haul trailer.
These type of movers are often handling people being transferred by companies because more need to move fairly quickly to minimize work impact. When I was working, my employers always picked up the tab for moving and storage between states and used the large movers. As a retiree, I would use less expensive means because less time critical.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:16 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Arizona has been a huge retirement destination for decades and I am confused as to why it doesn't show up on 007's list (I don't have the patience to navigate through that Forbes clickbait article that makes you reload for each state).

Arizona also benefits from its proximity to southern California; there are millions of ex-Californians there, enjoying the much cheaper housing prices. Our next door neighbors in north Glendale were from SoCal, a middle class family of four, probably the typical non-retiree demographic for inbound moves.
Most of those moving from CA to NV or AZ are short regional moves. In the last few years, trying to get a moving company to move you from CA to Atlanta was easier than CA to Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics