Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2023, 10:49 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
The military?

Legislated up the social ladder?

You do realize that this is considered one of the benefits of military service to society and that you literally benefited from legislation designed to move people up the social ladder in exchange for their service while ripping people who want legislation to move them up the social ladder?

That’s quite a contradiction, no?
Tell that to all the homeless veterans on the street and unemployed veterans looking for a job.

Military service offers you a paycheck and an education, it doesn't guarantee you some 6 figure contracting gig with Booz Allen, Lockheed Martin, and Boeing. No, you have to figure out that part on your own. You could be tasked with cooking at the chowhall or scanning ID cards in the middle of North Dakota while in uniform, none of which is going to move you up the social ladder after service.

My story is meant to show you the work and risks it takes, as a black man, instead of just sitting on your butt and gambling away your life savings on cryptocurrency as you have bragged about doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Sorry to butt in but not really.

Rocko20 worked and sacrificed and took risks in order to leverage whatever benefits GIs are afforded.

Legions of Americans want to be legislated up the ladder without all the work and sacrifice and risk.
That's correct. I was unemployed for 4 months after I left the military, indicating the risk I took when leaving service before the 20 year pension. There are no magical handouts, bailouts, or welfare when you turn in that uniform. You are on your own again, at the mercy of the open civilian job market.

I would still be flipping burgers at Whataburger if I waited for politicians to legislate me up the social ladder. No politician got a degree for me, signed up to serve for me, created my resume for me, learned a marketable skill for me, or applied for a civilian job for me, I had to do it myself. I had to get off my butt and do something.

Last edited by Rocko20; 06-28-2023 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 06:51 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I worked with MANY college educated professionals who believed with all of their heart that their entire pay would be taxed fully at the next higher bracket if they earned more money. I had an engineer tell me he was better off not getting licensed so his pay was lower and kept below the next bracket. For the life of me, I could not convince him that the progressive levels for the first dollars stayed fixed no matter how much you earn. I could not convince him that only the highest dollars would be taxed at the rate of the higher bracket.

I finally had to bring a tax form in with the equation written in black and white, and still some colleagues didn't believe me.

Some people just don't get it.

I had friends who refinanced their homes multiple times as interest rates gradually dropped after the Great Recession, and never realized that they were having to pay closing each time, because they were comped into the new larger loan value. They thought closing was "free" just because it was added to the loan instead of paying it up front.
I remember hearing this progressive tax fallacy as I was growing up. I also heard people say that hiring someone to fill out their 1040-EZ form didn't cost them anything, because the payment was deductible.

My 15 year mortgage was 9.5% in 1988. As the interest rate continued to fall, the refinancing rates skyrocketed. I never refinanced, just kept paying as much as I could until it was paid off at the end of 1995. I'm sure there's a formula somewhere that would tell you when it would pay to refinance, but it would be complicated; beyond my math abilities to come up with it on my own.

I worked a summer job, and then my government job. Both jobs had pensions after 30 years. There were people who believed that meant you could retire at full pay after 30 years. The fact that there were people still working after 30 years told me that was unlikely. In the pre-internet days, I wrote to OPERS and requested the retirement benefit sheets. It turned out you could retire at 30 years at 63% of the average of your 3 highest salary years. A long way from full pay. There were disappointed workers when I passed out that document, although the workers who were close to retirement knew better. With OPERS, if your retire with fewer than 30 years before you turn 65, there is a substantial penalty, yet I have seen people do that.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:04 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Well, money only has value because of what it can be exchanged for. Ie real resources and services. I’m not sure how UBI can work if people are no longer willing to produce those things. We just saw what happens during the pandemic with shortages and supply chain issues

It’s like those older retirement towns in Florida I’ve read about where there’s not enough workers. Money is meaningless if you can’t get the goods and services you want. Your pool stay won’t be so great if there’s no one to serve you drinks and dinner.
1. I agree short of a dystopian breakdown a broad based IBI or set of UBIs is just dumb fantasy.

2. Labor vs. job-need vs. pay mismatches pose problems all over the world.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:23 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itouchyou View Post
It cracks me up how many people don't know how taxes work (not you but the guy you quoted).
Years ago a young guy who worked for me had been doing a bang-up job, really fine work. His boss gave notice to follow her husband back east for some big promotion. Anyway, I offered the young guy his soon to be ex-bosses' job. He blanched at the idea because of taxes.......after some quizzing he also thought the new marginal rate would be applied to all of his income and he'd in effect be taking on more job for less pay. With great effort I squelched a laugh and explained the tax tables per his situation. He took the job.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:07 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Folks, get a compound interest table...and figure out how long and how much money it will take to get you to your FIRST million dollars.

Now, calculate how long it will take you to get to your SECOND million dollars.

Do it. You will be shocked at what you learn.

Wealth begets wealth due to basic arithmetic.

Now I agree, given the HUGE advantage given to wealthy people by the compound interest tables, maybe we should limit their other tax advantages.
Why do you need to limit them? Is it because you don’t get to use them and feel others should pay for everything. It’s already been shown the wealthy pay more taxes than everyone else.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:03 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Tell that to all the homeless veterans on the street and unemployed veterans looking for a job.

Military service offers you a paycheck and an education, it doesn't guarantee you some 6 figure contracting gig with Booz Allen, Lockheed Martin, and Boeing. No, you have to figure out that part on your own. You could be tasked with cooking at the chowhall or scanning ID cards in the middle of North Dakota while in uniform, none of which is going to move you up the social ladder after service.

My story is meant to show you the work and risks it takes, as a black man, instead of just sitting on your butt and gambling away your life savings on cryptocurrency as you have bragged about doing.

That's correct. I was unemployed for 4 months after I left the military, indicating the risk I took when leaving service before the 20 year pension. There are no magical handouts, bailouts, or welfare when you turn in that uniform. You are on your own again, at the mercy of the open civilian job market.

I would still be flipping burgers at Whataburger if I waited for politicians to legislate me up the social ladder. No politician got a degree for me, signed up to serve for me, created my resume for me, learned a marketable skill for me, or applied for a civilian job for me, I had to do it myself. I had to get off my butt and do something.
You and Demo can continue your sidebar conversation on homeless veterans and other topics

Old 06-29-2023, 12:04 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
They are homeless and on the street by their own choosing.

If and when a homeless veteran choose to no longer live on the street, they can contact any social worker anywhere in the US.

All States have at least one VA Domiciliary and States with larger populations have 4 to 8 or more.

At a Domiciliary, a veteran gets:

1) An SRO or double occupancy room for up to 12 months for FREE; and
2) Three meals per day for FREE; and
3) FREE medical treatment; and
4) FREE psychiatric treatment; and
5) FREE psychological counseling; and
6) FREE substance abuse counseling; and
7) FREE relationship counseling; and
8) FREE financial counseling; and
9) FREE employment counseling; and
10) Employment at a VA Medical Center or CBOT and receives 100% disability pay; and
11) FREE chauffeuring around to apply for jobs when they are ready to leave; and
12) FREE chauffeuring around to apply for housing; and
13) Subsidized housing under the HUD-VASH Program

Your attempt at guilt-tripping others has failed massively now that everyone knows the Truth you deceitfully and deceptively withheld.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:19 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
I’m not sure how UBI can work if people are no longer willing to produce those things.
It can never work under any circumstances.

The claim is that UBI will replace all social welfare programs.

That is a patently false claim.

The total amount of social welfare many households receive is in the $3,000-$6,000 range.

Explain why someone receiving $5,000/month in social welfare benefits would forego that to accept $2,000/month in UBI with a net loss of $3,000/month.

Those people may be dumb but they're not stupid and they would never surrender more for less.

269,473,000 * $2,000 = $538,946,000,000 or $539 Billion/month or $6,467,352,000,000 TRILLION or

There is no level of taxation on individual or corporate income tax that would generate $6.45 TRILLION per year.

Even if you omitted the 1%, in which case you no longer have UBI, then:

266,778,270 * $2,000 = $533,556,540,000 or $533 Billion/month and $6,402,678,480,000 annually.

You still cannot generate the needed revenues.

Fantasy claims that AI will eliminate jobs forcing UBI fail because there is no possible way to generate the needed revenues for UBI.

Old 06-29-2023, 03:13 PM

774 posts, read 1,049,236 times
How does the equation change if you exclude the ones already making over $2,000? And then also the ones making less than $2,000 only get added whatever amount to get to $2,000?

Old 06-29-2023, 05:14 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
They are homeless and on the street by their own choosing.
And people are poor and uneducated by their own choosing.

The world doesn’t owe anyone a damn thing.

If a black man like myself from poverty can figure that out, you sure have no excuse. Maybe a politician was supposed to go to school and get my degree for me too.

Last edited by Rocko20; 06-29-2023 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics