Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 09:22 AM

9,070 posts, read 6,302,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Over building isn't the word for it. Its absolutely astounding. One thing YouTube is good for is you can view China's empty cities, and there are many of them. Skyscrapers lined up, one after the other completely empty. These empty cities are located all over China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Not only that, but many aren't even complete. They are more shells than completed housing units. The statistic I've read from 2019 is that 87% of all home purchases in China are for investment property, second or third residences. As a result, there are an estimated 65 million empty residential units. Yet given that China is going through a demographic crash those units will never be filled. They literally have no real value. It's staggering malinvestment.

Given how year-to-year housing sales have dropped upwards of 50-60% from 2021, this borders on catastrophic. It's the 21st Century's answer to the Dutch Tulip Craze.
Another thing about those empty shells of cities is that they take up precious farmland requiring China to rely even more on food imports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 02:34 PM

2,310 posts, read 957,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I don't think I understand where you are coming from.
It seems to me Minivandriver has good information. Which writers seriously challenge Peter Zeihan? I ask because I have followed his work and if there is a challenge I would like to read it.

Gordon Chang has been calling for the collapse of China for over a decade.

Here is his 20 year old book: https://www.amazon.com/Coming-Collap.../dp/0812977564
Here he is in 2011 still doubling down, claiming that he's only off by 1 year, 10 years ago.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2011/12/29...-2012-edition/
Quote:
I admit it: My prediction that the Communist Party would fall by 2011 was wrong. Still, I'm only off by a year.

In that time frame, China has only grown economically, technologically and militarily.In fact, China bailed out the US back in 2008 by purchasing US Treasury bonds (not out of benevolence but because they have a vested interest to keep the US afloat economically).

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/BL-DLB-3968

I know less about this Zeihan guy as this is the first I've heard of this guy. His claim that 2022 is the "last year of the People's Republic of China" is rather bold and tips me off that this guy is a snake oil salesman.

In the video posted by minivan, he has posted a lot of conjecture and personal opinion, some of which are outright false and out of touch with reality that can be debunked rather easily by Googling.

I won't touch the demographics topic since he doesn't quote his sources and it's not like anyone believes China's numbers anyway.

He thinks that manufacturing is leaving China and actually coming back to the US. If the trade war with China didn't bring manufacturing back onshore, then what reasons does he give that will entice corporations?
Lower energy costs? More productive labor sector? Even if these were true (and that's a big if - https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ted-countries/), there are other countries with lower energy and labor costs that corporations would first exploit before bringing it back home where ALL input costs are comparatively higher.

He actually claims that Mexico has a higher skilled labor force than China.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...ed-labor-force
China is graduating the most engineers in the world by far so China is quickly climbing the "value add ladder" that he claims the US dominates - https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...h=103702fc268a
https://asiatimes.com/2020/12/at-tells-le-figaro-why-china-is-winning-the-tech-war/

He calls Ukraine a militarily incompetent country when the US/NATO has been training them for the past 8 years, and believes that Taiwan's preparedness since 1955 gives them an advantage. Taiwan's compulsory military service is 4 months. That's FOUR MONTHS. You aren't retaining anything significant in four months of training.

Taiwan is also an island the size of Maryland that can easily be pacified since many are pro-reunification.

This is just me refuting the video, knowing nothing of Zeihan or other claims of his.
Here's a Quora thread on the guy: https://www.quora.com/Peter-Zeihan-r...ing-strategies

Quote:
Peter Zeihan is an American who has a consulting firm in geopolitics. He needs to make eye-catching statements in order to get potential customers and it does not matter whether those statements are right or wrong. And since the Americans are anti-China, it makes sense for him to write something negative about China.

What is Zeihan's experience in China? How long has he lived there? How fluent is he in the language?

If he gets all his information from US based sources, then of course his outlook on China is going to be negative since all coverage of China is negatively biased.

Old 06-05-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Not much of a refutation, given how you can't seem to offer up any counter arguments.

I'm 59 and I have multiple clients with manufacturing operations in China. With the exception of one, they are all moving operations to either India, Vietnam, or even the upper peninsula of Michigan.

And while I read Zeihan and agree with much of what he has to say--chiefly because most of his broad predictions have come true--I also read a lot of other sources on the subject. For example, foreign policy journals such as International Security were pointing out the serious contradictions in the Chinese economy more than a decade ago, particularly the demographic crash. I remember sharing one article in particular to my clients who, at the time, thought I was out of my gourd. You know, the same clients who are now pulling up tent stakes in China and moving elsewhere. In fact, here you go:

https://www.belfercenter.org/sites/d...as_Century.pdf

Demography is destiny. You can't lose 250,000,000 from your work force between 2010 and 2050 and not have serious consequences. One would have to be a complete idiot to ignore how consequential that would be. Even if every single Chinese family started cranking out three kids tomorrow (Which they won't. When China loosened the One Couple One Child policy, birth rates have declined even further), the productivity hit will be enormous.

Ok great. Then God willing, you should be able to live to see the day where many of these predictions of China's collapse will come to fruition. Most are calling for it to happen by the end of the decade (other than our friend Gordon Chang who predicted 2011), and I believe you yourself made the prediction of 2030.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I don't think I understand where you are coming from.
It seems to me Minivandriver has good information. Which writers seriously challenge Peter Zeihan? I ask because I have followed his work and if there is a challenge I would like to read it.

Coincidentally, someone is challenging Peter Zeihan and repeats some of my points I mentioned in a previous post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlQKdoWCfAg

Old 06-12-2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Not much of a refutation, given how you can't seem to offer up any counter arguments.

Sorry, I haven't had much time recently to do Google and respond.

Quote:
I'm 59 and I have multiple clients with manufacturing operations in China. With the exception of one, they are all moving operations to either India, Vietnam, or even the upper peninsula of Michigan.

That's a nice anecdote. Unfortunately it's just an anecdote.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-co...PyaMzhNkx1c1X0

Quote:
“I talked to CEOs of Western companies literally every day, and I will tell you that on balance, the majority of them are planning on doing more business in China over the next 10 years, not less,†Bremmer told Yahoo Finance Live. “The reason for that is simple. It's because China is on track, still to be the world's largest economy by 2030. And corporations ultimately want to be where their markets are going to be.â€

Here are a couple more:
https://www.asiafinancial.com/china-...ling-says-hsbc
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Th...-bets-on-China

Quote:
And while I read Zeihan and agree with much of what he has to say--chiefly because most of his broad predictions have come true--I also read a lot of other sources on the subject. For example, foreign policy journals such as International Security were pointing out the serious contradictions in the Chinese economy more than a decade ago, particularly the demographic crash. I remember sharing one article in particular to my clients who, at the time, thought I was out of my gourd. You know, the same clients who are now pulling up tent stakes in China and moving elsewhere. In fact, here you go:

https://www.belfercenter.org/sites/d...as_Century.pdf

Demography is destiny. You can't lose 250,000,000 from your work force between 2010 and 2050 and not have serious consequences. One would have to be a complete idiot to ignore how consequential that would be. Even if every single Chinese family started cranking out three kids tomorrow (Which they won't. When China loosened the One Couple One Child policy, birth rates have declined even further), the productivity hit will be enormous.

Even if they lose 250M, and that's a big if given how this Zeihan character is seemingly pulling numbers of out his arse, they are still the second most populated country globally. They aren't going to collapse in 6-12 months as he predicts. They are already one of the leaders in robotics to pick up the slack of a decreasing workforce.

I think you should diversify your sources, else you'll be stuck in a cycle of confirmation bias.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:12 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Coincidentally, someone is challenging Peter Zeihan and repeats some of my points I mentioned in a previous post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlQKdoWCfAg

I think it's hilarious that you prefer a well-known Chinese shill (And, by that, I mean literally paid by the Chinese government). I mean, I guess that means had you stepped into a time machine and gone back 80 years, you'd breathlessly listen to Tokyo Rose and Lord HawHaw and repeat every word they had to say.

Meanwhile, Zeihan isn't perfect, but he's been right on most of the big picture predictions on Ukraine, fracking, and the current state of Chinese economy. At this very moment, we're seeing a spreading refusal among Chinese debtors to pay their mortgages on undeveloped properties, which in turns affects the viability of developers and local governments. It's just an astonishing domino effect that will get out of control unless the Chinese government manages to shake off its torpor and get busy.

Old 07-21-2022, 04:33 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that a lot of Chinese money is in the USA so that the investor has a place to flee to if he needs to get out of China.
Chinese cant just come to US or any country,he has to apply first

Old 07-21-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Pfft. We're already rejiggering the supply chains. Give it three-five more years and we'll shrug our shoulders.

The United States need only stop tankers leaving the Persian Gulf and China deindustrializes in about three months.

I just don't understand this notion that China is a monolithic economic power. It is an extremely fragile economy that is highly dependent on other countries for its immediate economic survival. Not just in the production of things, but in it's ability to simply function. The problem is that people actually believe the CCP's GDP numbers, which are completely at odds with reality.
that was long time ago,since then they have developed their own economy.
Exports is still important,but they have a vibrant domestic economy,consider the large population.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:16 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
that was long time ago,since then they have developed their own economy.
Exports is still important,but they have a vibrant domestic economy,consider the large population.

Actually, no. It is the most vulnerable economy in the world. Their entire smoke-and-mirrors model is based on two things: 1) Manufacturers putting operations there and 2) Intellectual property theft. Heck, it wasn't until 2017 that the Chinese learned how to internally manufacture a ballpoint pen.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:42 PM

You dont know China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics