Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:10 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,600 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to buy a king charles cavalier spaniel (I know its an expensive dog). However, I don't know how to go about doing this. Does anyone have any idea of the best way to get such a specific breed of dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 AM

69 posts, read 274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
My wife and I are looking to buy a king charles cavalier spaniel (I know its an expensive dog). However, I don't know how to go about doing this. Does anyone have any idea of the best way to get such a specific breed of dog?
I heard they take good care of dogs at rescue shelters( dont know if that's true for every shelter. We actually rescued our puppy from a pet shop, one that didnt take good care of our lil guy.

Start looking in the paper for breeders. You might actually find what your looking for there. I actually know someone that has a King charles cavalier spaniel, I'll have to ask them how they found their king charles. I'll try to get back to you!

-Good Luck!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Start here: ACKCSC.org
and do lots of research! Many backyard breeders at there, so make sure before you buy it is a reputable breeder that can provide you with health guarantees, medical certifications, and a pedigree history to insure there has been no in-breeding. If a breeder doesn't want to divulge any of this, it is a huge red=flag!
Also google any Cavalier Clubs in your area and they can lead you to some rep. breeders.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
Do not look in the paper for breeders!!!!! No reputable breeder will advertise in the newspaper. They're all backyard breeders and puppy mills. Have you considered a rescue? Many states have breed specific rescues, with tons of great dogs available.

If you are set on a puppy, contact the breed club. That is the ONLY way to find a reputable breeder. Reputable breeders don't advertise in newspapers, Craigslist, or other internet sites. Most have waiting list for the puppies, but you are sure to get a dog that best coforms to breed standards and has been health tested. Here's the link and good luck finding your puppy!

ACKCSC.org

Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Cavaliers are LOVELY dogs. But you are better off going with a show kennel for a number of reasons. First, these people are serious about their dogs and want only the best for them. Second, cavs have a number of health issues and the breeder should provide you with PROOF that they are screening for them in the parents. The most serious health issue is mitral valve disease of the heart. Cavs need to have ultrasounds EVERY YEAR to check their hearts and the breeder should be able to show you the ultrasound report from both parents!!!

Like all small dogs, cavs get patellar luxation and like all dogs with long, floppy ears, they're prone to ear infections. And they have eye issues. But the heart problem is the most serious.

And do you mean a cavalier King Charles spaniel? or a King Charles spaniel (toy spaniel)? These are TWO different breeds!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,706 times
I agree with MAK and Shelbygirl, about screening carefully. I found this website that has questions to ask breeders:

Dog Owner's Guide: Responsible Breeders

Don't be turned off if the breeder doesn't have puppies right away, that's actually the sign of a good breeder. Usually the dogs aren't even bred until there are people already lined up to take them. Also make sure you research common health problems of king charles cavalier spaniels so you can ask the breeders about them. You have your reasons for liking this breed, so you want to support a breeder that is working to better the breed rather than trying to make money for themselves. You may talk to breeders that seem to have good intentions, but fact is if they aren't doing the appropriate health testing, showing, socializing, etc. then they are potentially passing on genetic diseases and contributing to problems in the breed. Also you should be able to meet both parents, see their titles, puppies should be raised in the home, etc

Make sure you're ready for a puppy and all that comes with it...puppies will have accidents in the house, they will chew and get into your things, they will be rambunctious and need your attention all the time! Consider adopting an adult dog from a rescue if a puppy sounds like it might be too much for you. This is a 10-15 year committment so choose a dog or puppy like you're choosing a spouse!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:22 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
They cost plenty and they have health problems also which means go to the breed web site then
look for breeders near you. Then look for breeders not so near you and really call them and ask questions. The breeder also will grill you lots and besure to ask what testing has been done and
also ask for proof! You will pay 1500 to 2000 for a pet dog, and read about the cost when they get
sick! They are really sweet dogs however do your homework b4 you do buy! Also if you both work long hours a breeder will not sell you a dog.
This dog needs people around lots and no small children under age 7.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:21 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,600 times
Thanks everyone for the kind responses, my wife and I will try to contact some breeders!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:46 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind responses, my wife and I will try to contact some breeders!
Good luck and keep us posted. And pics of the new furkid when available, please!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM

110 posts, read 261,592 times
Default Cavalier Owner Here

I own a cavalier king charles spaniel. They are a wonderful breed. But be very careful before buying because they can have severe genetic health problems. Cavaliers are very prone to the heart disorder MVD. The parents should be checked annually by a cardiologist (not a regular vet) to ensure that they do not have heart murmurs. Eyes should be checked and CERF certified. Parents should also have their hips OFA certified and should be checked for luxating patellas. Cavaliers can also get a very serious neurological condition called syringohydromyelia. If the breeder won't show you the health certificates, go elsewhere!

A good breeder should know about these health conditions and discuss what they are doing in order to improve the overall health of the breed. A good breeder will probably not have puppies available right now so you may have to join a waiting list. Good breeders ask a lot of questions. They want to make sure that you and your family are going to provide a great home for the dog. Good breeders also are responsible for the puppies they breed for life. Our breeder has a clause that if we are unable to keep the dog for any reason, we give the dog back to her. This is really important because it demonstrates how deeply committed a breeder is to their dogs. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club is a great resource and their members must adhere to strict, ethical guidelines when breeding. Good luck!

Last edited by Brie85; 11-18-2009 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs