Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 50,325 times

Advertisements

Last week I found out my dog never had CHF. He had brain cancer on his brainstem. The panting, trouble breathing, lack of appetite, and pacing are symptoms of brain cancer. I took him to a university veterinary emergency clinic because of his strange behavior. They took their own x-rays which were ten times better than his primary veterinarians. They then requested his old x-rays from the primary vet. The chief of the cardiology dept. looked at his x-rays and then listened to his heart. He did have a slight murmur. He was put in an oxygen cage and had an ultrasound of his thorax. He told me that he has no symptoms or evidence of CHF. Then it became a mystery as to what he did have. The vet told me he may have a metabolic disorder and needed an increase in pain meds. Twenty four hours later he had a seizure and I brought him back to the emergency clinic. A half hour later at the clinic he had another seizure. The ER vet told me that since everything else is ruled out the only place left to look is in his brain and he needed an MRI. She also told me that because he was having cluster seizures so close together that it would continue through the night until he would finally die in one. She told me that the seizures dramatically increase the body temperature and he would have a nasty death and that I should strongly think about euthanasia right then and there. Eventually that night we gave consent and he was put down. Because he was at a university they encouraged me to give consent for a necropsy (dog autopsy). I did and the following day the er vet told me the pathologist pulled a tumor out of his brain the size of a golf ball. I can not believe that three veterinarians missed this and also misdiagnosed him and put him on medication he never should have been on. Good luck to all of you with dogs with CHF. I can not stress enough on this board to take your dogs to an experienced veterinarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,280 times
Damn you all for bumping this thread and making me cry!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 25,605 times
My Pekingese, Cuba, has CHF. He has not eaten for 5 days. This is truly my best friend. 13 years of love. I have no children, no husband, and very few true friends. He's been with me since the beginning, it feels like. God, i'm gonna, miss him. I love him so very much. I don't know how I can live without him by my side. were that close. He's like my familiar, or kindred spirit. I'm scared, and he is too. Please say a prayer that there really is a heaven, because these guys deserve the highest seat.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 25,604 times
God bless our little people with fur. Our dogs and cats and all the little fur loving friends that enrich our life so much. Be as good to them as they are to you.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,086,768 times
My Pomeranian, Alex, was diagnosed w/CHF around age 14 or 15 and lived a pretty solid 3+ years taking just enalapril & lasix daily. His quality of life was pretty good considering his age. He gave me a scare or two in the last year but rebounded and lived to 18.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 25,447 times
Default congestive heart failure.

My shih-tzu is just turned 13. In September I took her to the vets with an abcess on her face and they found she had a heart murmur. Two week later they said it was a grade 4.
She has passed out a few times and is on medication.

Today she has lost her balance when walking and she makes these screaching sound which she has done before. The vet said she isn't in pain when she does this.

I have been in tears all day as I am thinking of making that dreaded decision but tomorrow she could be her normal or near normal self and then I think that I can't take her life away from her.

I lost her sister 3yrs ago at the age of 10 with congestive heart problems but her symptoms were different. She had mass fluid build up and they couldn't do anything more for her. She wasn't on meds at all. She had a heart murmur from about 1yr old but it never got to the point of medication untill it was too late.

I have had this little one since she was 8 weeks old. Chose her at 2 days old and I can't bear the thought of losing her but I don't want her to suffer either.

I feel I have made up my mind and then I read a post that says someone had a dog that lived several years with this condition.

She went to the emergency vet just before Easter and she offered to put her to sleep but I wasn't ready to let her go and the vet said she thought I was right in taking her home. Now I am confused what to do.

I am heartbroken as there is only her and me. I pray she goes in her sleep but I don't think that is going to happen.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 25,410 times
New to this site. My puppy-child is 11yrs old and has chf. Vet has her on enelapril and lasix. I know the inevitable. I just don't know how I can do it! Really having difficulty dealing with this decision.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 25,310 times
My 13 year old Dachshund, Duke has chf. My hubby bought him for me as a wedding gift on our honeymoon. Talk about being my baby.

Duke has had the cough for approximately 6 months. He has lost weight and sleeps all the time. Night before last is suffered a mild heart attack. He was laying in the chair asleep. He passed gas loudly and we giggled at him. Really, he had a bowel movement and was drooling uncontrollably and could not move. We thought his time had come. We made him a pallet on the floor and I carried his lifeless body to it so he could pass surrounded by my hubby, myself and our children. I called the vet to let her know what was going on. She recommended crushing up 2 baby aspirin and a Benadryl mixing in a syringe with water and giving it to him. Within 30 minutes he was moving around and by morning was back to his "normal" self. Since the the coughing has gotten much worse and he stays on the couch or in my lap. I know his time is soon, but I truly want him to go peacefully at home. I guess it could be at anytime or he may last a few more months. The unknowing is very difficult. Luckily I am a school teacher and am home for summer vacation. We will just cherish what time we have left.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 39,128 times
Thank you so much for your post. I pray that my Baby also goes peacefully when the time comes. Bless you.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 26,896 times
Default Romeo my baby also

I feel your pain, my Pekingese has the same and he is only 10 years old, I feel so horrible and should never have been walking him seeing how he has breathing troubles but I always pick him up and it hurts to see the vet said he has CHF I feel so hurt and my heart is just breaking, so many tears and love I had him,, I had no children no husband he is my life and I have cried so much. The medication is not working and I'm afraid he is in the end, I only pray that God give me life longer with him and not take him away yet, my baby I love you Romeo more than you ever know1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujutatu32 View Post
My Pekingese, Cuba, has CHF. He has not eaten for 5 days. This is truly my best friend. 13 years of love. I have no children, no husband, and very few true friends. He's been with me since the beginning, it feels like. God, i'm gonna, miss him. I love him so very much. I don't know how I can live without him by my side. were that close. He's like my familiar, or kindred spirit. I'm scared, and he is too. Please say a prayer that there really is a heaven, because these guys deserve the highest seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs