Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times

Advertisements

So very sorry for your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 111,455 times
Bunky, Riley was the same exact way. He was on the same exact meds, the Lasix and the enalaprel cause kidney damage, however, Riley already had kidney stones and we knew his time left was very short. We kept increasing his Lasix dosage and it stopped working. Yesterday he had a good day, barking, wanting to go outside to sun, chasing the cats, etc, however, once dark came, he got quiet and could not lay down, he kept trying to get higher up to get pressure off of his chest and probably his lungs. I had several talks with him and told him it was ok to go and prayed to God to please take him in his sleep and he did. I feel guilty because I feel like I waited too long. This is just the way it happened with Riley. Good luck with your baby....I feel your pain.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 14,531 times
Default The process of Letting Go

I've heard practical and helpful advice as I have been "skimming and scanning" these posts. I particurly like your advice Fivehorses. I'm doing my best to be prepared and keep my emotions in check, but I am running on "automatic pilot." We are about to say goodbye to our sweet puppy.
Fifteen years ago, I went to pick up a pizza and came home with a six week old ball of fur,,, oh and the pizza too, I think. The Resteraunt is next to the local pet shop and a man was about to drop off three 6 week old Golden Retriever/American Eskimo mix babies. Of course I had to approach the guy and ask him if I could pet them, never imagining that my life was about to change. My eyes locked in on the eyes of the lone little girl dog, she was mine and that was that. God knew we needed her. She was our special gift.

Fast forward,,, to now and I cant beleive it's been 15 years. Time has a way of doing that. Our Cadi no longer has youth on her side. Time can also be cruel. It slows down for no one.

Knowing she will soon be leaving us has been such an emotional roller coaster.

There's an underlying heaviness weighing so heavy on my heart. There's an ache that I can hardly bear! Nevertheless, she is slippping away and a part of me wants to hold on even when I know I need to be strong for her and my family.

On the Non emotional side of this:
We have been getting ready: No loading her in the truck and taking her to the cold metal table in the vets office. Unless she begins to show signs of panic and pain, we are going to let her die peacefully at home with the people, things and surroundings she loves.

We have chosen to bury her in our back yard. My husband has already dug the spot under the Big tree, I've made a special box to place her body; I want to lay her down on her own soft pillow and surround her with her favorite things. I did this so as soon as she passes, I can place her body in a comforatable position. I know it doesn't matter, but it matters to me. I know how she like to lay when we cuddle her.
Emotional side:
The kids and my husband are in a state of denial. It's up to me to face this reality; the caretaking is most of the time, moms job. This is why Cadi is really my dog. She is always wherever I am. Since she was a puppy this is the way it's been.

I have been dealing with some guilt feelings; thinking about the many days/years she was taken for granted, as we were all busy with school, athetics, etc.

WE lost our home in 2008 to Hurricane Ike and then our last two children graduated and left for college. Following Ike, I resigned from teaching/coaching to deal with the ramifications of the storm,, My husband works out of town during the week and my kids were doing stuff thatyoung people do, and i knew I needed to be home.

Anyway,,, The past few years, Cadi and I have grown even closer. We've spent so much time together. She has been there ready to listen to my problems, calm my fear and heartche and wipe my tears. As I've faced the "empty nest" syndrome,, with No Nest!<<< Cadi has been my solace. She gives and gives and gives; then gives some more. Even now, as her tired old body gives out and she becomes frail and weak, she will try to please us.

The Bitter/Sweet sting of real love is almost too much to bear. ♥

The thought of life without her is more painful than any words I know to say.

I never knew that a dog would become such an important part of our family and that a non-human could touch my heart and soul so deeply that coming to grips with her dying is painful in so many ways; physically, emotionally and mentally.
Spiritually, I continue to pray for guidance. I beleive she will be waiting for us in Heaven. This Hope gives me some comfort.
I finally understand why God sends us these precious creatures. He wants us to know His "Perfect Love" They are the most selfless beings on earth. The UNCONDITIONAL LOVE they give is unlike any Love we will ever know in this life. I don't now how to share this grief with my friends, I'm afraid they will remind me that she's "Just a Dog" I can't hear that right now. I hurt so bad. I'm going to miss my friend. ♥

Last edited by ihurt; 01-27-2012 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 14,221 times
Our chihuahua terrier mix is 15 and a half ..all of the discs in her spine fused naturally..she had a hard time walking ..she refused to eat..had some major coughing spells, and was diagnosed with a heart murmer and chf. Medication helped for about 6 months..but she continued to only eat enough to keep herself alive. She lost about 8 pounds. Leaving her weighing about 5 pounds soak and wet and she was around 13 pounds normally. We got home today and found her weezing...panting..gasping..her little bony ribcage going in and out faster and faster.I could see in her face and huge brown eyes that this was just to much for her ..a strain on all of her..physically and emotionally. I made "the call" to the vet..when they gave her the sleepy shot..a peace came over her like the relief of all the pain and the struggle to breath, just disappeared..she relaxed in my arms still awake enough to hear me tell her I loved her
and then she fell asleep. We chose not to be in the room for the second shot for personal reasons..But now shes has crossed over peacefully to the rainbow bridge, and We will see eachother again and play just like shes a puppy once more..with no more suffering.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 22,225 times
at this very minute, i am waiting to pick up my 13 year old poodle from the vet. two years ago the vet told me that her heart was extremely enlarged - he put her on enalapril and vetmedin. she was "choking" alot - and eventually would pass out when over exerted. i have tried to really limit her activity - very short walk - etc. i even bought a dog carriage that i walked her in so that she could still look around the neighborhood - i carried her up and down the stairs and she was always with me when outside - just sunday she took a turn- loss ov energy loss of appetitie - monday to the vet who said she was number 3 renal failure - she has not peed - so he stopped fluid meds and is giving her subcutaneous ivs- i bring her at 8am and pick her up at 5pm - he said that the procedure is very slow because they do not want to flood the kidneys etc. today is wednesday and her appetitie has not improved - her peeing has not improved and after just speaking with him - her blood levels have not improved - he said he will try to increase the fluids this afternoon and see what happens - i am devastated - has anyone had this experience with their mini poodle?

Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 14,097 times
i have a saint bernard whos brother died at 11 mos they r same age the vet said he thinks cardio myapathy he exrayed my dog and said the left side is inlarged but it might be just the way shes made he sug i come back in six months to check she has a slight cough after excersizing is that normal any info would be great thanks heart broke in montana

Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 14,025 times
my dog milly died this morning of CHF she was 8 years old! she was diagnosed nearly a year ago she was taking a cocktail of many drugs including vetmedin, benazacare, frusdale and some others they were very successful drugs until suddenly at the weekend she became very ill coughing badly and unable to breathe well! we took the choice this morning to put her to sleep as she was deteriating very quickly! i cannot stress enough how much these drugs gave us extra time to spend with our precious milly! CHF is a cruel disease which takes from you when you least expect it! I will miss her everyday!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,379,079 times
It is cruel. Very, very cruel. Just everyone, please to remember that at some point to consider putting your dog's well being and comfort over your own discomfort of being without her. Once, I put my own impending loss over my dog's comfort. A lesson I will never forget, and an experience I will never repeat (I hope). At the end of the day, it simply is heart breaking regardless of the cause of our loss.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 PM

6 posts, read 50,326 times
Just to let everyone know.... You can reduce the amount of money you are spending on medications by having the vet hand write the prescription on a prescription blank and bring it to a human pharmacy. My dog is on enalapril and furosemide. They were costing around $70 a month at the vet. Both medications are on the $8 list at a certain chain store known for low prices. ( not sure I can write the name of the store)

Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,061 times
Excellent post. Glad to see it revived. Our first yellow lab, Sunny, developed CHF around age 8. He'd cough once in awhile but other wise remained as active as he was able, having arthritic hips. The vet put him on HD low salt food which helped. For Sunny, his heart condition didn't seem severe and it was eventually Sunny's arthritic hips at age 12 which had become obviously painful enough to require euthanasia.

Bless all of you who love your pets and want the best for them. I see so many neglected dogs, cats, and horses here in the southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs