Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:05 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,320,291 times

Advertisements

I have a almost 4 year old yellow lab. About a month ago she developed spots on her belly that were round and loosing hair. They did testing thinking it was ringworm and turns out it is not. (she had something similar a year ago on her back...thought it was ringworm but not...they never did tell me what it was)
They gave me a cream to put on while waiting for the ringworm test to come back. Then I called and told them it wasn't working. They gave me an antibiotic and at the same time I switched from Beneful Dog Food to EVO Dog Food.
Took her back today and the hot spots (which look like burns) are looking so much better and she isn't scratching or licking herself anymore. The Vet said it is either bacterial and thus that is why the antibiotics are working or it is a food allergy and thus the food switch is working. So...now we are using the EVO and the antibiotics. In two weeks she will go off of the antibiotics.
Anyone ever have this issue? EVO is so expensive...I don't mind spending the money on it but I don't want to if that isn't the real problem. This is so annoying and expensive.!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Angel gets that. (Angel gets everything) I use Genta-Spray from the vet. Works great.

Gentamicin Sulfate with Betamenthasone Valerate

Last edited by Driller1; 08-18-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-18-2009, 11:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
Or you can switch to feeding raw. It would be too expensive for me w/ three large dogs. It's the most natural diet and you can find plenty of info and web help by googling raw canine diet. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 AM

thanks...for some reason my vet doesn't want me to feed a raw diet. something about for the same reason we as humans shouldn't eat raw meat...I don't know...just what he said, lol! Plus I don't have the time to feed raw or the extra money that would take since we have two kids, a dog, a cat (who is also on prescription food)...
I don't mind paying the EVO but I hope that is the problem and that I am not spending extra on something that isn't really helping. (Lets hope it is helping though so my vet bills will at least decrease, lol!)

Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,863,870 times
My dad's lab had the same type of issue on a brand of dog food, I forget which but he switched and the issue cleared up. Maybe you can find a comparable but less expensive brand of dog food that will work also.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,799,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I have a almost 4 year old yellow lab. About a month ago she developed spots on her belly that were round and loosing hair. They did testing thinking it was ringworm and turns out it is not. (she had something similar a year ago on her back...thought it was ringworm but not...they never did tell me what it was)
They gave me a cream to put on while waiting for the ringworm test to come back. Then I called and told them it wasn't working. They gave me an antibiotic and at the same time I switched from Beneful Dog Food to EVO Dog Food.
Took her back today and the hot spots (which look like burns) are looking so much better and she isn't scratching or licking herself anymore. The Vet said it is either bacterial and thus that is why the antibiotics are working or it is a food allergy and thus the food switch is working. So...now we are using the EVO and the antibiotics. In two weeks she will go off of the antibiotics.
Anyone ever have this issue? EVO is so expensive...I don't mind spending the money on it but I don't want to if that isn't the real problem. This is so annoying and expensive.!!
I would guess that this is a food allergy. Which EVO are you feeding? My dog has developed a very similar rash over his belly and chest that seems to have been a response to turkey. Chicken is fine, duck is fine, salmon is fine, turkey makes him hive.

If the EVO is working you may want to stick with it, but there are a lot of grain free or low grain foods that you can experiment with and it may not be a grain allergy at all. Fish and certain kinds of poultry allergies are fairly common as well. It may take a year, but a process of elimination is going to tell you a lot more and be a lot cheaper than frequent visits to the vet for steroids and antibiotics.

YOU are the dog's steward, not your vet.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:10 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,834 times
Quote:
thanks...for some reason my vet doesn't want me to feed a raw diet. something about for the same reason we as humans shouldn't eat raw meat...I don't know...just what he said, lol! Plus I don't have the time to feed raw or the extra money that would take since we have two kids, a dog, a cat (who is also on prescription food)...
I don't mind paying the EVO but I hope that is the problem and that I am not spending extra on something that isn't really helping. (Lets hope it is helping though so my vet bills will at least decrease, lol!)
First, may want to visit the cat forum, and Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi, and do check the ingredients in that "prescription" food. The ingredients in food determines how healthy (or sick) our pets are/become.

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble lists and explains the ingredients in dog foods. Ratings from 1 to 6 stars, based on ingredients.

Dogs and cats should be eating good proteins (meat -- cats strictly so as they are obligate carnivores.)
Most vets don't study nutrition, so I'd do the research re: RAW and what-have-you. The commercial pet food companies fund the universities and have too much influence, so many vets frown upon RAW. A Holistic veterinarian would guide you appropriately should you want a vet's expert opinion on diet & nutrition. And check dog food threads right here in Dogs Forum.

edit, agree with Jimbournsey!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:18 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,799,298 times
Quote:
Vets don't generally advocate raw feeding. They have to assume that no one knows what they are doing and would be unable to properly balance a raw diet. They also see a lot of dogs having problems with obstructions from eating bones, etc. etc.

I think that hesitation is coming from a conservative, medical place. Enough dogs have lived their entire lives in laboratories for dog nutrition to be fairly well understood (or at least what it takes to keep a dog alive). It doesn't necessarily mean that raw feeding is bad and it doesn't necessarily mean that the vets are wrong.

I think a raw diet can be great, but it isn't very practical for most people. And contrary to what may be popular belief, you and I most certainly can eat a raw diet. You would be well advised to eat raw meat only from something that you just killed and not from something off the shelf in a grocery store, but you can eat raw meat just like your dog.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,834 times
Sorry I got kicked off playing Musical Computers w/someone competing for the faster computer in this house --
Wanted to say that EVO-- you are just getting what you pay for. MUCH more healthier ingredients in there for your dog's overall health so it is more than worth it. Dog actually eats less of this food as they maintain the good stuff, as opposed to pooping it all out anyway. Need to feed more of the most well-known junk because it's all loaded with fillers.

(Also botched Jimboburnsy's name big-time while getting rushed outta that chair! Sorry 'bout that.)

Old 08-18-2009, 02:07 PM

thanks everyone!

The EVO I just started to give her a week ago is the Small Bites and I think it is chicken based. Today I ran out and bought another bad but this time the large bites and I think it is chicken based too. (Orange bag)
I will try and keep her on it until I see what happens when we go off of the antibiotics. If it returns when we go off of them then I will know it is bacterial. Either way I am going to keep her on a better food...
Heard Kirkland brand at Costco is good and grain free. Anyone know for sure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs