Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,841,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
thanks everyone!

The EVO I just started to give her a week ago is the Small Bites and I think it is chicken based. Today I ran out and bought another bad but this time the large bites and I think it is chicken based too. (Orange bag)
I will try and keep her on it until I see what happens when we go off of the antibiotics. If it returns when we go off of them then I will know it is bacterial. Either way I am going to keep her on a better food...
Heard Kirkland brand at Costco is good and grain free. Anyone know for sure?
Unfortunately, you will never be able to just run into a store and blissfully buy a bag of dog food again. You will now spend as much as 30 minutes culling through the selection, reading ingredients. You're doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 02:22 PM

7,161 posts, read 12,724,842 times
Was just thinking about all these food allergies..know so many dogs with them, mine included. Do you think they're caused by antibiotics or growth hormones given to the protein source that's in the food? Or preservatives?

Back in the day, dogs used to eat nasty looking canned crap and didn't have one-tenth of the allergies today's dogs do. My childhood dog, a mutt, ate a canned food called Kennelworth, and she lived to be 18 or so...don't know what was in it, but it smelled and kind of looked like SPAM...

What's going on with today's food...?? The new hypoallergenic bag of kibble I just bought cost around $4.00/pound...that's more than I spend on my own food...

Old 08-18-2009, 02:25 PM

718 posts, read 2,083,790 times
Whether its the Giant Redwoods, the lakes and streams nature provides or the canine community...give man enough time and they will screw it up each and every time.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:21 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,688,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Was just thinking about all these food allergies..know so many dogs with them, mine included. Do you think they're caused by antibiotics or growth hormones given to the protein source that's in the food? Or preservatives?

Back in the day, dogs used to eat nasty looking canned crap and didn't have one-tenth of the allergies today's dogs do. My childhood dog, a mutt, ate a canned food called Kennelworth, and she lived to be 18 or so...don't know what was in it, but it smelled and kind of looked like SPAM...

What's going on with today's food...?? The new hypoallergenic bag of kibble I just bought cost around $4.00/pound...that's more than I spend on my own food...
Re your first question, checking out the foods and their ingredients on www.dogfoodanalysis.com should explain things sufficiently. What they use for preservatives, along with other proven allergens, are the biggest culprits.

Yup, our dogs lived forever on Mighty Dog. Thing is, since those days, the conglomerates got bigger and they now also use more cheap fillers (the genuises realised that corn & gluten garbage was much cheaper and economical for them) and now outscore cheap crap from China or wherever.

Google "the truth about dog (pet) food" and you will have more info than your stomach can handle regarding today's best-known dog (pet) foods. Also plenty of threads right here.

Science Diet, for example, was formulated back in the day by a veterinarian who really wanted to help dog health. Now, that brand is owned by a toothpaste conglomerate and all it really does today is succeed in requiring more drugs for our over-drugged pets, with the "prescription" gimmick.
Peanut Hulls and sawdust are the 2 main ingredients following corn in what vets "prescribed" for our own dog.

Purina and all those other best known ones are owned by candy companies and such. It all goes hand-in-hand with all that fancy advertising -- more profits & less overhead for all of them and chronically sicker pets for us.

I saw a thread in "Cats" where the cat owners are telling of these operations their cats needed because of UTIs-- even removing males' penises -- due to the issues which feeding species-inappropriate "diets" cause. It could have all been prevented so very easily. If only the mainstrean only knew of half this information ....

Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,688,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Unfortunately, you will never be able to just run into a store and blissfully buy a bag of dog food again. You will now spend as much as 30 minutes culling through the selection, reading ingredients. You're doomed.
Not quite www.dogfoodanalysis.com base their unbiased ratings strictly on ingredients used. Very thorough, and they do try to keep up with ingredient changes in the foods as well and adjust ratings acordingly.

Foods are listed alaphabetically in each tier (one star to six star rating groups,), so very easy to look up what food you want to know about.

You will find all the most-advertised ones -- to avoid -- in the one-star (maybe 2 star tier sometimes) tier and they explain just why "in Plain English."

Last edited by Travel'r; 08-18-2009 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: unbiased

Old 08-18-2009, 03:53 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,036,569 times
Nanners was losing hair in huge patches on her flanks and her tail. Her exposed skin was dry and flaky. Vet wanted to start her on a battery of allergy tests, starting at 400 bucks with no idea of how high it would eventually go. She also had frequent diarrhea.

I decided to try a food switch to a premium kibble I used to use with my Dobermans. That did the trick. The diarrhea stopped immediately, and by the time 3 months had passed all the other problems had cleared up.

I realized I was poisoning my dog with the other kibble. I had been an ass for feeding her the cheaper food.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:59 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,840,276 times
While continuing feeding the Evo, you should read the site posted in previous posts about the dog food analysis... you'll get quite the education about the many kibble brands.

I'm an advocate for raw feeding (is a godsend to my dog), but I get how expensive it can be. I always refer people to the dog food analysis site when searching for a better kibble to feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs