Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:07 PM

795 posts, read 4,537,567 times

Advertisements

Hi, quick question for those whose dogs have kidney problems -- anyone use azodyl? If so, could you tell me your experience?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 04:57 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,689,634 times
I used it when my GSD had elevated kidney levels. I really don't think that it made much difference--her kidney levels remained elevated when she was on it and didn't come down until I switched all of her food and stopped feeding her chicken treats. The different food was what really made the difference.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:39 PM

starla -- thanks for the info! now, follow-up question: how high were her kidney levels?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:52 PM

I believe they were a fullpoint above the normal range, which is why I say elevated and not severe. Her levels were only elevated for a few months while she "transitioned" (my GSD had just turned 7, which my vet said is the year when health issues begin to present themselves.) Her levels were elevated for probably about 6 months while she transitioned from a high-protein food to the Hill's Science Diet K/D that she is on now (as well as kicked the chicken treats that she was addicted to.) Interestingly enough, her levels didn't come down until I began feeding her the K/D wet in conjunction with the K/D dry. I started with the K/D dry and Azodyl and chicken treats (4 max per day), which didn't work. I began feeding K/D wet, which my dog loves!, then weaned her off of the chicken treats (which was easier once she was eating the K/D wet.) Treats now are Newman's Own, which are very tasty yet natural but very low in protein. Her kidney levels were within normal range the last time she was tested (6 months ago.) And I no longer have her on the Azodyl.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 40,106 times
Smile azodyl worked for my welsh corgi

My dog is 14 years old and started having accidents in the house, wasn't eating much and sleeping all day. He just wasn't the "son" he always was. He would be very playful and we thought all this was just old age. That is, until I noticed he was drinking a lot of water....5-6 bowls a day. We had him tested and sure enough....kidney failure... about 75%, one level was well above the 25-29 range...it was more like in the 90's amd the other level is 2.9. We had the vet treated him with fluids for 3 days and his one level dropped to the low 40's....the other didn't budge. We had changed his food to the Hills Renal a few months ago......but that was not working well....
Once we gave him the azodyl we had our son back!!!! He hasn't had an accident in the house and doesn't have to urinate 10-15 times a day. He's back to being himself...............this stuff is great!!! I'd do it all again, except maybe the fluids...he was so miserable.....I'd recommend the azodyl...he's got his life back....and we have our "son" back.........

Old 06-29-2009, 07:03 PM

mutley -- thank you so much for your post, and welcome to the board!

i am so glad your "son" bounced back with the azodyl...and also that gives me hope the azodyl will work for us as well!

did you notice any side effects with the med?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 PM

starla -- i'm so glad your gsd is in the normal ranges...however, i don't mean to be dense, but what do you mean by a "fullpoint"? is that one point?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 40,106 times
Default no side effects

There's no side effects.....he's like a puppy again..he's running laps in the house and actually happy. The vet also spoke to the manufacturer.....you can open the pill and sprinkle over food if your pet has a hard time with pills. We just put the pill in some cheese......I can't tell you how much this has helped. He is our first "son".....I realize at 14 he's outlived 85% of the pet population...we weren't ready to let go....and so glad we didn't give up. We were really worried........he's such a joy!

One more thing....not as expensive online even with overnight shipping as it is at the vet............it comes shipped in coldpacks, needs to be refrigerated...

Last edited by mutley01; 06-29-2009 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: needed to add

Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
starla -- i'm so glad your gsd is in the normal ranges...however, i don't mean to be dense, but what do you mean by a "fullpoint"? is that one point?
It has to do with creatinine levels. The normal range is between .6-1.2. A full point above (1.0) would make her creatinine level 2.2. Not as severe as the other poster's dog (2.9) but enough to indicate a problem. There are also normal BUN levels (usually in the 20's to low thirties) and I believe that she was also slightly out of that range as well.
Quite frankly, I really can't remember; I just remember my vet telling me that her levels were elevated. She quoted the normal levels and I mentally computed how much my dog varied (which was 1.0--a full point--out of range.)
I also agree re: Azodyl and no side effects. In my case, the food was the issue (my dog actually stopped eating and would not go near her high protein dog food but immediately began gobbling up the K/D the minute I put it in front of her; they just know.) My vet prescribed the Azodyl b/c so many others have had good results with it. There are no side effects and, if you can afford it, it might help.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,808 times
My almost 12-year-old dog has kidney disease (Fanconi). My vet advised switching him from Innova Senior, which he had started to refuse, to K/D, which he hates. He won't touch it. Has anybody ever had that response and did the dog eventually come around?

Before all the kidney problems I fed him EVO and he loved it. Now he's the finickiest eater ever. He's getting thin and looks so pitiful when he gazes forlornly at his bowl. It's heartbreaking. He needs the low protein food, but he needs to eat. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs