Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 10:56 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,422,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert fedun View Post
my black is 8 years old, all of a sudden he cant get up on his hind legs to walk, what could it be?
You need a vet......ASAP.

I know it is Sunday.....but, you have to find a vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 11:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,264,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert fedun View Post
my black is 8 years old, all of a sudden he cant get up on his hind legs to walk, what could it be?
8 years old is young. If he was old and you already knew he had specific problems like arthritis, degenerative myelopathy hip dysplasia, I'd say he could wait until tomorrow to see the vet. Since you're indicating he was healthy and now all of a sudden this happened, he should see a vet ASAP. It could be anything I listed or Lyme's, a fracture, slipped disk, or a bunch of other things. As a result, I wouldn't try to force him to get up. I hope he's feeling better soon.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,020 times
Please help me ...! My labs back legs are going weaker and weaker ..she is dragging her legs ...and because of that there is a boil on her belly which is making her uneasy and I think it's paining a lot to her ...what should I do ..The vet in my location are not supportive ..Please help ..
anup nandrekar
India
My mail I'd is [email]anup.nandrekar@gmail.com[/email]
thankyou

Old 11-25-2014, 01:45 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,789,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anup nandrekar View Post
Please help me ...! My labs back legs are going weaker and weaker ..she is dragging her legs ...and because of that there is a boil on her belly which is making her uneasy and I think it's paining a lot to her ...what should I do ..The vet in my location are not supportive ..Please help ..
anup nandrekar
India
My mail I'd is anup.nandrekar@gmail.com
thankyou
Please don't letter suffer. Please don't let her continue to let her be in pain. Go to another vet now in a different area but there may be nothing they can do.

When dogs get older sometimes they lose mobility in their rear legs due to degenerative myelopathy and there is no cure for that. I've had to put two dogs down when it got so bad that it was very hard for them to get around. If she's younger and it came on suddenly, due to an injury, sometimes it can be fixed with steroids or neurosurgery but there is usually a very limited window window of time for it to be fixed and the sooner the better.

She needs medical attention, this is nothing that can be fixed at home from advice on the Internet. Again, please don't let her continue to suffer if this is something that can't be cured.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Good Luck.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:45 AM

250 posts, read 401,204 times
I found this thread recently because of the recent troubles my just turned 13 year old furry daughter(black lab) has been having with her back legs. She's otherwise in awesome shape and health.

This once huge pain the ass crazy mutt has become the best friend I could ever ask for. She's been there with me from the beginnings of my adulthood, through multiple long term relationships and personal successes and failures, and wanted nothing but to go with me wherever I go, and scramble around the proximity sniffing things. I'm now at 37 going to be a father for the first time next month and I gloomily realize that this beloved and loyal member of the family won't be with us for my sons first little league game, or for protection and company as he might go exploring through the woods near the house, and so on and so on.. I digress.

In the past year I've noticed her not making the leap from the ground to the back seat of my truck(her assigned riding place) in one leap. She makes it 90% but the back legs scramble for traction whereas in the past this leap, albeit a good 4' from the ground, was one quick and fluid motion. Also lately if I take her on long(.5 mile+) walks, her back legs periodically collapse on the return road home. She doesn't yelp or seem to notice much, just springs back up and gets right back in action but is still dosconcerting to say the least. Her level of exercise hasn't been as high in the last few years as in years past, other than chasing squirrels in the yard and going up and down the stairs here at the house so I'm not sure if more or less exercise is to her benefit at this point.

I've got her on Dasequin for glucosamine supplements, and Purina One kibble for food, and have a years supply of rimadyl stocked up but haven't started her on it because I'm scared she's then an official old dog and that her liver is being sacrificed in favor of its anti-inflammatory benefits. Any thoughts? I recently heard at the vet of a laser treatment for old dogs hips, has anyone had at experience with this? I wouldnt say cost is no object, because cost is always an object but I have disposable income and would gladly give whatever it takes within sanity to help my baby extend what's left of her mobility and happiness.

Im looking for input, experiences and suggestions from others who have been down this unfortunate but unavoidable road...

Old 02-01-2015, 09:18 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,949,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
I found this thread recently because of the recent troubles my just turned 13 year old furry daughter(black lab) has been having with her back legs. She's otherwise in awesome shape and health.

This once huge pain the ass crazy mutt has become the best friend I could ever ask for. She's been there with me from the beginnings of my adulthood, through multiple long term relationships and personal successes and failures, and wanted nothing but to go with me wherever I go, and scramble around the proximity sniffing things. I'm now at 37 going to be a father for the first time next month and I gloomily realize that this beloved and loyal member of the family won't be with us for my sons first little league game, or for protection and company as he might go exploring through the woods near the house, and so on and so on.. I digress.

In the past year I've noticed her not making the leap from the ground to the back seat of my truck(her assigned riding place) in one leap. She makes it 90% but the back legs scramble for traction whereas in the past this leap, albeit a good 4' from the ground, was one quick and fluid motion. Also lately if I take her on long(.5 mile+) walks, her back legs periodically collapse on the return road home. She doesn't yelp or seem to notice much, just springs back up and gets right back in action but is still dosconcerting to say the least. Her level of exercise hasn't been as high in the last few years as in years past, other than chasing squirrels in the yard and going up and down the stairs here at the house so I'm not sure if more or less exercise is to her benefit at this point.

I've got her on Dasequin for glucosamine supplements, and Purina One kibble for food, and have a years supply of rimadyl stocked up but haven't started her on it because I'm scared she's then an official old dog and that her liver is being sacrificed in favor of its anti-inflammatory benefits. Any thoughts? I recently heard at the vet of a laser treatment for old dogs hips, has anyone had at experience with this? I wouldnt say cost is no object, because cost is always an object but I have disposable income and would gladly give whatever it takes within sanity to help my baby extend what's left of her mobility and happiness.

Im looking for input, experiences and suggestions from others who have been down this unfortunate but unavoidable road...
Well you didn't mention what her VET says.

You said "you have her" on supplements and I assume you got the rimadyl after a diagnosis but what WAS the diagnosis? Arthritis? Did she have exrays?

Is she BETTER on the rimadyl or the same? There is also Tramadol.

I have read great things about the cold laser and that guy on the radio used it and strongly recommends it. Warren Eckstein. Check his website I think he has information about it.

If it makes you feel any better, one of my clients is NINETEEN years old and I had her on rimadyl for a front leg limp. (I'm a pet sitter/dog walker) and for the last two years her bloodwork is excellent. I skip every third day or so. I took her off last fall after a rear issue, though.

She had a neuropathy and couldn't stand/use her rear legs after fighting the vet during a procedure....(or she fell off the bed I don't know for sure)...and we put her on Prednisone and I'm trying to wean her now that she can stand again and use her rear. She is the ENERGIZER BUNNY! A Shih Tzu. You can't use the Pred with the Rymadyl.

I also take her in every two to three weeks for fluids as she doesn't seem to drink as much as I'd like so if she's dehydrated-ish the fluids and a B12 bring her back strong. Versus seeming a little lethargic-ish.

I would STOP the leaping. She could tear an ACL or something with all that weight if she stumbles or her legs give out. Get her a RAMP for the truck to walk up.

If she collapses suddenly and can't get up I would screen her for Myasthenia Gravis. It is NOT an extremely ease diagnosis and has to be sent to an expert in California. Dr Shelton last time I checked. Rare but we see it alot on my yahoo megaesophagus board but it usually doesn't sneak up over that long of a period like your dog over a year. But stranger things have happened. I would buy a dog SLING in case you ever need it to support her if her rear gives out.

What is her weight like? I'd put her on senior food. But if you switch be CAREFUL especially because Labs have a sensitive GI system. Do it over a two week period VERY SLOWLY.

This Shih Tzu always was on Science Diet prescription for GI because the owner used to feed her all kinds of crap (she has dementia) so I switched her to Science Diet Age Defying Age 11+ kibble. HOWEVER it's for small breeds and your dog will potentially CHOKE on the small kibble so you can't use it. But it's fantastic and my dog ADORES it. Even though people talk trash about Science Diet I kept her on it because I get it at the vet and they bill the owner. I'm very happy with it for her she WOLFS it down and it's KIBBLE! (before she was on canned and I can't even believe a 19 year old dog can chew kibble).

Perhaps they make one for large dogs but I don't know.

http://www.hillspet.com/products/sd-...fying-dry.html

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-01-2015 at 09:30 AM..

Old 02-01-2015, 07:03 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,576,209 times
I have a photo of our lab laying upright in the hatchback of our car at the vet's the day we put her to sleep at 14 1/2 years. She still looked like a young dog in the photo... happy face, tongue hanging out in a big grin, but she was ready to go as much as we hated to admit it. Her back and back legs had given out. She fell all the time, couldn't get up, she leaked urine, and she'd lost control of her bowels. It was heartbreaking.

So sorry OP. It is such a horribly sad decision to make. Enjoy your time with her as best you can.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:06 PM

First take her to the vet. I too would not let her jump, either get her a ramp or have her put her front legs on the back of the truck and then you can lift her rear legs in (I do this with my 80 lb shepherd). You might ask the vet about degenerative myelopathy just to cover all bases. If that's what it is, I don't think there's much you can do about it but there may be something new I'm not aware of.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:06 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,724,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I might add, Rimadyl worked great and very fast, for my Mia. IF they do prescribe it, go to their website and they will send you a $5 check for purchasing the med.
I was given rimadly also for my dog but there also is a generic called novox which cheaper and helps with pain. I was able to have my vet do a script and order it from dr foster and smith.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:48 AM

Rimadyl can be very effective in controlling pain caused by arthritis. I've used it with a combination of adequan shots with excellent results. However, Rimadyl will not do anything if the cause of the weakness is neurological. Lack of control over bowel and bladder are often associated with neurological issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs