Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,380,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Adequan is definitely worth trying. Although expensive, when it works, it's like a miracle You might consider massage therapy and even accupunture/accupressure. There is a body of scientific evidence that those treatments do help.
Leorah - Nikki does get regular acupuncture, as did Sandy and I feel that it definitely helps.

The dogs certainly love the vet who comes to the house and gives them their treatments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 05:32 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,667,028 times
I had a similar experience with my St Bernard Tulip last year. She was a very huge St by any standards and I knew in her future there would be problems with paralysis in the hind quarters, so one day when she stood up and limped from her bed to the door, I brought her inside the house. Fortunately, it was spring and things were not so bad through the summer. I no longer had to walk her on a leash because she couldn't run and I often sat in the yard with her while she looked over her territory. After about 4 months, she started falling down when her legs would just fold under her, but she was still happy. Then one day she didn't want to eat and the next day after going outside she sat down and didn't want to come in. I tried to encourage her to come in because the sun was coming into the backyard and I didn't want her to get overheated. She got up and headed for the door. I had found that she was much braver if I didn't watch so I went into the other room leaving the door open. I came back after 5 minutes and she was collapsed on the patio in a huge 6 ft wide pool of her own urine. I realized she was totally paralyzed in her hindquarters. I called the vet immediately to arrange for her euthanisa. I literally had to drag her into the house and I stayed up with her all night putting fresh diaper pads under her so she wouldn't be uncomfortable. I spend the night brushing her and cleaning her, and loving her with all those little spoiling things we do and at 9am asked a neighbor to help me get her into my truck and took her to the vet. She was truly ready and told me so. Knowing this was the last dog I would ever raise, her loss has been a lot more painful than I could ever imagine.
Your baby will tell you when he is ready. Until that time comes, do all you can for him that is reasonable and be there loving him until the end.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 AM

72 posts, read 275,686 times
Try giving him glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil in people pill version. I have been giving my boys these every morning for years. My oldest is a 92 lb. yellow lab that is mere weeks from his 15th birthday. If I miss a day, I can clearly see it in his walk. This WILL HELP tremendioulsly. I promise.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,362,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenijoy View Post
Try giving him glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil in people pill version. I have been giving my boys these every morning for years. My oldest is a 92 lb. yellow lab that is mere weeks from his 15th birthday. If I miss a day, I can clearly see it in his walk. This WILL HELP tremendioulsly. I promise.
Our female does great on Arthogen for dogs. I think it is about the same stuff.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 9,265 times
Have you considered acupuncture for your dog?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:53 PM

56 posts, read 176,533 times
Yeh My past dog was 12 through 14 years when this happened to her hind legs, at 15 years old, her hind legs became totally paralyzed, She was still very alert, ate etc.....she even allowed us to carry her for bathroom brakes and holding up her hind legs as she did her 1 and 2,.....we brought her to the vets, vet could not tell me what was the best rute to go, but did tell me a story of another dog who came in with the same problem, the dog had major wounds from dragging itself around the house etc....... and all the people wanted was cream for the wounds and meds still, the vet also said that dog had a wonderfull life anf they should of chose a different rute.

Anyhow I took that to heart, and ask if my dog was in any pain?

they said no.

I said is it ok to bring her home and spend a little more time with her, till I thought the time was right.?

they said yes...

I brought her home, I could see she was very tired, and was holding on for me, even though she was fine even though her legs were not working, still her eyes had much sadness, as to them whispering to me, please I'm tired i want to sleep. I started to understand why she was holding on, it seems most animals stay around for our peace of mind, I know new it was her time......NO IT WAS NOT MINE.....If I could I would of kept her around for ever, so 1 week after I saw the vet.....we said our goodbys, with much sadness and sorrow we had to let her slip into her ever so peacefull sleep, that she so pleeded with her eyes.

It was a hard choice, I always ask myself did I do the right thing, what if?
however even though she was in no pain, she was still suffering, and yes she had a long loved life, 15, She is at peace now, and holding on for us, I just could not be filling my own needs, and not hers......RAINBOW BRIDGE WE WILL MEET AGAIN.

Stroke your companion softly, whisper all you want to say in their ears, then look into their eyes, eyes even in animals do tell a story and you will know when the time is right.

warmest thoughts and regards to you and your companions

Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 13,472 times
How did we get by without the internet and google?? I have a 16 year old Shep/lab- part of our family since 3 months- helped me survive the loss of my husband at 39 and kids all growing and leaving the nest. I know he doesn't want to leave me alone- no matter how many times I tell him to go with his daddy... that he has a frisbee and wants to play. He has always been a swimmer- jumper- runner- very happy and healthy, caretaker of the cats and official squirell chaser. Well--- before. His hind legs dont work in the morning at all, after 15- 30 min he can bear weight but hops like a frog more than not. Stairs are not an issue- he doesn't even try anymore. I took the frame off my bed so he can still get up. and covered all the furniture - his bladder control is gone. His eye sight- his hearing is bad- and almost constant skin issues. Heart problems and, as a result, breathing problems...
I look at this list and wonder how I can make him stay with me... I actually brought him in to be put down and he was so happy to see the vet- till she tried to take his temp- that was a month ago and he still keeps his tail between his legs. He was so aware that I had sat there and let it happen-lol, the look of disbelief in his eyes and the quick head turn to look at me with a quiet bark- I swear you could almost hear him say "MOM!" "NO!" I couldn't end it like that so I took him home. with 4 meds that did little to help him.
I just have to wonder if I really will know when it's time. Though his eyes are cloudy and he sleeps a lot- when I come home from work he is so happy to see me- he sits on my feet to keep me in place while I use my computer. I can't see putting him on a dozen pills every day but can't seem to go through with putting him down- are you really sure I will know when the time is here?

Old 07-18-2012, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 13,472 times
Suecharlo,
you made me cry- very sweet, thank you for sharing.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 PM

410 posts, read 342,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm heart broken. My labrador is about 13 years old. His hind legs started to become weak about a year ago. It wasn't bad. He was standing like a German Shephard. Sometime's he would hesitate before going up the stairs or jumping onto the bed. He had lost a lot of weight and the vet said that was good---less weight for his weak legs to hold.

Over the past two days, he's having difficulty walking. He still manages, but his legs give out on him. He doesn't appear to be in much pain. He's still happy as can be. I'm just terrified he'll become completely disabled. I can't imagine putting a dog to sleep when it's alert and happy. But he's so large that it would be impossible to carry him.

Is there any hope whatsoever that I can help him maintain his mobility?
I sincerely hope that all works out best for your good friend. Dogs truly are man's best friend. Prayers for him.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,183 times
my black is 8 years old, all of a sudden he cant get up on his hind legs to walk, what could it be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs