Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 33,331 times

Advertisements

My b/f moved here from LA and brought his dog. So I've adopted a dog... who has heartworms! He got the news from his vet in LA before coming. I guess it's a light load but the one vet here in California had no idea about treatment. We have an appt with another one but anyone have any idea about the treatment and cost in LA or any low cost options? I've been reading online and no one can say the cost.

Poor doggie. I have a feeling I'll be paying a lot for this. My guy never took care of his animals so I guess I get the burden because I won't let him suffer if I can do anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 06:39 PM

157 posts, read 564,434 times
In NE he average cost is around $500, not sure about your area. But, talking to many shelter and rescues after Katrina, the cost of the actual medication for treatment is cheap. Most of it is the vets time. I've talked to rescues who do not treat the minor cases but just give the Heartgard. I've been told it works, but no personal experience with it.
I have 2 dogs that were treated for heartworm ( 1 advanced, 1 minor) and both are doing very well after the treatments. Good luck and hope all goes well with the poor dog.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:06 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
My b/f moved here from LA and brought his dog. So I've adopted a dog... who has heartworms! He got the news from his vet in LA before coming. I guess it's a light load but the one vet here in California had no idea about treatment. We have an appt with another one but anyone have any idea about the treatment and cost in LA or any low cost options? I've been reading online and no one can say the cost.

Poor doggie. I have a feeling I'll be paying a lot for this. My guy never took care of his animals so I guess I get the burden because I won't let him suffer if I can do anything about it.
pray to my favorite st anthony. the cost will be 1000 to 1500.

if their is a vet college, as tufts in MA it may be cheaper. You need to get the dog on treatment, then on heart worm meds.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Lightbulb they have treatment-

Quote:

If the dog is young it will work fine!-dont give up- they use an arsenic treatment which kills the worms- Many vets will do this for under 300.00. Good luck!

sunny

Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 PM

73 posts, read 403,146 times
In my neck of the woods, which is TX, it's about $500-$700 to start...actually, it was. New research just came out that recommends more steps and increases the cost of treatment. It also makes it safer. The clinic I'm at does it, but we just started and I'm not sure how many others are on board.

There is a method of treatment which involves only giving heartworm prevention that can be successful if the infection is mild. The adult heartworms will eventually die, and if any new microfilaria are killed before they are allowed to mature, there won't be any new heartworms coming. The bad part is that everything has to be absorbed back into the body through the lungs. That's why infected dogs cough and treated dogs have to be confined. Heartworm prevention as treatment is not often recommended because it creates an unpredictable strain on the dog. The adult worm in the heart can do damage and cause strain while they take years to die, too.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlesoup View Post
There is a method of treatment which involves only giving heartworm prevention that can be successful if the infection is mild. The adult heartworms will eventually die, and if any new microfilaria are killed before they are allowed to mature, there won't be any new heartworms coming. The bad part is that everything has to be absorbed back into the body through the lungs. That's why infected dogs cough and treated dogs have to be confined. Heartworm prevention as treatment is not often recommended because it creates an unpredictable strain on the dog. The adult worm in the heart can do damage and cause strain while they take years to die, too.
Thanks! That's the way the vet in Lousiana said to go (when he was taken there before flying out to me) but my vet here is so unfamiliar with treating it, she isn't comfortable with it. I just wish the vets here had more experience with it, then agian I guess it's good for the canine population here that they haven't

Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
In NE he average cost is around $500, not sure about your area. But, talking to many shelter and rescues after Katrina, the cost of the actual medication for treatment is cheap. Most of it is the vets time. I've talked to rescues who do not treat the minor cases but just give the Heartgard. I've been told it works, but no personal experience with it.
I have 2 dogs that were treated for heartworm ( 1 advanced, 1 minor) and both are doing very well after the treatments. Good luck and hope all goes well with the poor dog.
Thanks. His case was light, back in Sept but when he was left untreated (before I got to him), and I think it escalated to moderate. I hope he'll handle it well, he's as healthy as can be with those in him so that's good

Old 04-04-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
pray to my favorite st anthony. the cost will be 1000 to 1500.

if their is a vet college, as tufts in MA it may be cheaper. You need to get the dog on treatment, then on heart worm meds.

Oh a vet college. I know they have them around. Believe me, once he's treated, he's going on that. I know we're in Los Angeles where the cases are minimal but I don't care. I don't take chances with my animals. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
If the dog is young it will work fine!-dont give up- they use an arsenic treatment which kills the worms- Many vets will do this for under 300.00. Good luck!

sunny
Thanks, Sunny!!! He's 4 and in good health so not too bad. My vet seems very expensive, which has me worried. She's still checking costs which also has me worried. We got charged $450 just for the testing and xrays so I can only imagine what she'll charge Thanks

Old 04-04-2007, 01:13 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,595 times
Quote:

I can't help you with an exact cost but you could try calling your local shelter to see if they can help. some places offer low cost treatments to people who cannot afford it. good luck and i hope your doggie gets better real soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs