Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I'm sure our vet would do that, but I need my time with my dog when it's over with. Our vet would wait for me to say my good-byes to our baby. I would feel rushed & guilty him having to wait, where as in his office I can stay with my pet as long as I want.
I say...to each their own...and thank goodness our pets have a chocie.
My tenant has had three pets put to sleep. His vet came to his apartment each time so that his animals could die at home peacefully rather than in a strange place like the vets office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 02:26 PM

141 posts, read 284,844 times
If you live in an apartment and the pet dies there, or a condo with no yard, what do you do afterward? I mean, maybe after a few hours, when all your "aftermath" is done with the pet. Is there some kind of biohazardous waste service or such you can call or do you just wrap the pet up and take her back to the vet? Could I have a piece of her for memory like human beings if such specialized service exists?

Old 04-19-2009, 02:31 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
There are a couple of things you can do.

If you want to have your pet cremated and want the ashes, but the vet is closed (they can arrange for a cremation), you can wrap your pet up and put him in the freezer until the vet is open and you can bring him over. One of my vet friends did this for her own pets that she euthanized. She wrapped them gently in a baby blanket first.

There are also services that will pick up your pet, have it cremated and return the ashes to you. Or they can just cremate the pet and not return the ashes.

I have the ashes of all my pets and they'll be buried with me.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:25 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
One of my dogs, had to be put to sleep, because she was in pain. The other dog, just, at age 14
went peacefully as I held her. It did happen so fast, I was not aware she had died. I felt good
that at least she was not afraid, and alone.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:27 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelesdowntownchick View Post
If you live in an apartment and the pet dies there, or a condo with no yard, what do you do afterward? I mean, maybe after a few hours, when all your "aftermath" is done with the pet. Is there some kind of biohazardous waste service or such you can call or do you just wrap the pet up and take her back to the vet? Could I have a piece of her for memory like human beings if such specialized service exists?
I would call the vet office and ask about a local company who handles cremation or burials. Some places will freeze your pet's body over the winter so you can bury your baby when the ground thaws. You need to bury 3 feet down so animals don't dig it up.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I thought about that. So beautiful.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:41 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I've had three old dogs put down. One was falling down constantly, eating less, incontinent in his bed. Another had a rare form of liver failure, and had become completely lethargic, stopped eating and drinking. The third was 17 years old, likely in kidney failure, incontinent, vomiting wildly. All would have died sooner or later if kept at home, but there was nothing peaceful about it. The liver failure dog had a lot of pain in his feet (hepatocutaneous syndrome). I had pain pills for him, but what is the point? He would die sooner or later from dehydration.
Add to that, I live alone and work 40-hours a week, third shift. I couldn't see going to work with the dog in his last breaths (or not).
For that matter, I fully intend to take matters into my own hands for myself if needed when the time comes.
My vet won't come to the house, but does have a referral who will.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
We drove to a local fellow for one cremation - $50; he was very comforting and we got a nice box. For a second dog the vet did had it done, same way, box - $75. For a third dog, different vet sent off and we got an envelope back for $200.

The dogs were separated in years by about 8 over all.

Two of the three dogs died at home, peacefully but the third died at the vet - we had to wait for 2 hours and it was miserable. I wish, however, that there was a way we could do it ourselves or at least give the dog a huge dose of morphine then carry to the vet - they are so controlling about these drugs!. The downside is we were not right there when the first dog died at home, he just died laying on the deck where he liked to be. The 2nd one died at my bedside and the 3rd in my arms. One other we were not with when it was PTS but it had to be done.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
There are a couple of things you can do.

If you want to have your pet cremated and want the ashes, but the vet is closed (they can arrange for a cremation), you can wrap your pet up and put him in the freezer until the vet is open and you can bring him over. One of my vet friends did this for her own pets that she euthanized. She wrapped them gently in a baby blanket first.

There are also services that will pick up your pet, have it cremated and return the ashes to you. Or they can just cremate the pet and not return the ashes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

We always had our dogs cremated. It costs, though.
We went from having them returned in a redwood box, to a cardboard box. It does get expensive.
I don't think were going to do that anymore...even though the cremation company is given high marks & trusted.
Some cremation companies will give you any ashes back to what ever. That's not good.

I have had to accept the facts, that the ashes will not bring back my babies. I have wonderful memories and many, many photos of our dogs.

We always said when we died we wanted our dogs burried with us...but since then we have decided to be cremated ourselves. So with all the boxes of our dogs ashes from the past...we've decided to make a memory garden in our yard, with flowers, rocks & a waterfall & bury their ashes below that.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:35 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I came back to this thread a few times over the weekend...but could never finish...I am bound and determined this time!

Mia was going downhill quickly and so I called Fri. morning for an appt. on Sat. (This was about a month or so ago)They gave me an 11:00 appt. and said they closed at noon....but I was more than welcome to stay with her for as long as I wished. Receptionist even stated if it is 6:00...that is fine with us! Knowing this vet practice, I truly believe she meant it!
I actually second guessed myself in calling that morning...thinking maybe I was rushing things with Mia. But she could no longer make the walk outside and carrying 70+lbs. outside was very difficult. She did not appear to be in pain...in fact, would wag that tail every time we spoke to her.
By Fri afternoon, she was headed downhill quickly...wouldn't even lift her head...she laid with her head in my lap or my husbands all night....at around 6am, she started to become restless and yowling in obvious pain every 15 min or so. By 7am ....there was no doubt, we couldn't watch her like this and called the vet. Unfortunately, one of the vets had an emergency surgery and the other had a full schedule booked for the morning....but said we could either come in immediately with her, or he would come out to the house at noon. We couldn't stand to watch her wreath in pain...so bundled her up in a favorite blanket she loved to lie on....by7:30 when we left the house, she was in a coma like state. I don't believe she ever fully recovered or knew what was happening. But I feel she at least knew her last moments were being loved and petted and knew we were both there for her.
I so wish she didn't have to endure those last few hrs. in pain. It wasn't a constant pain...but none the less....I wish we had known enough to get her in maybe one day earlier.
For those that die restfully in their sleep (and don't we wish we could all be so lucky) it is wonderful....but to have watch an animal suffer....I think it is kindest to PTS.
The vet took care of the arrangements and she was cremated singularly along with her blanket. She is upstairs in a beautiful urn....I believe we will keep a small amt. of the ashes and spread the rest out in the Bay where she loved to ride with us on our boat. (But...I'm not quite ready to do that just yet)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs